2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to add Thule Motion XT and trying to decide on which color to add to our Granite Crystal Metallic van. Does anyone happen to have the same color van with either color box (similar box) installed for reference? They come in silver or black.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
any update? REI's got their big Memorial Day sale going on with 20% off all thule and yakima stuff. i am planning to either put on a motion XXL or force XXL, but i am 99% sure i want the black (not silver) with my granite "S" pacifica.

show pics if you got the roof box!

·
Registered
149 Posts
My two cents, if the silver matches the car color then go with it. Any color variation will be seen and I think will look odd!
But black goes with any silver or gray color car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Out of curiosity, are you comfortable (or have you done some research that makes you comfortable) attaching a big box to the factory Pacifica crossbars? It seems the crossbars are secured only by a single small diameter screw at each end. Each of these screws has a fairly minimal threaded embedment length into the longitudinal factory rails. The crossbars themselves are of a type that has two hinge points, and their stability relies only on the rigidity of the single screw at each end. It seems to me quite a sketchy attachment, if you’re looking to attach a hardtop box, bikes, etc. to the factory rails. I want to install a Thule box and one or two rooftop bikes to my Pacifica, but I just don’t trust the Pacifica rails. I’ve been looking for a Thule or Yakima tower solution that either bypasses the factory rails altogether, or attaches directly to the longitudinal factory rails. So far no luck.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Out of curiosity, are you comfortable (or have you done some research that makes you comfortable) attaching a big box to the factory Pacifica crossbars? It seems the crossbars are secured only by a single small diameter screw at each end. Each of these screws has a fairly minimal threaded embedment length into the longitudinal factory rails. The crossbars themselves are of a type that has two hinge points, and their stability relies only on the rigidity of the single screw at each end. It seems to me quite a sketchy attachment, if you’re looking to attach a hardtop box, bikes, etc. to the factory rails. I want to install a Thule box and one or two rooftop bikes to my Pacifica, but I just don’t trust the Pacifica rails. I’ve been looking for a Thule or Yakima tower solution that either bypasses the factory rails altogether, or attaches directly to the longitudinal factory rails. So far no luck.
I read another thread on this Forum where someone had replaced the small screws with more substantial ones to increase the stability of the included rails. I think they actually said they used locking screws.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Looking to add Thule Motion XT and trying to decide on which color to add to our Granite Crystal Metallic van. Does anyone happen to have the same color van with either color box (similar box) installed for reference? They come in silver or black.

Thanks
My choice would definitely be the silver as it will not be so prominent on top of the vehicle. There is no doubt the silver will blend well with the Granite Crystal Metallic paint.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I don't know, I would definitely say the black would be better than the silver. We have the GCM and to me it lends better to the black; the silver looks like it would contrast more. Opinions, gotta love em!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
My two cents, if the silver matches the car color then go with it. Any color variation will be seen and I think will look odd!
But black goes with any silver or gray color car.
I looked at the gloss black even and it looks sharp on my granite color "S". There is a non-gloss black (more of a carbon gray black'ish) and that looks nice too. I have ordered both to drop ship to my local REI and will keep one of them. As for the silver, I don't think it goes well with the darker granite color.

The Pacifica spec is, I believe, 150 lbs up top on the rack. The Thule XXL is around 50 lbs. I would have to believe it can take the amount specified by FCA. So unless there is some recall, I assume the stock screws will hold up.

I read another thread on this Forum where someone had replaced the small screws with more substantial ones to increase the stability of the included rails. I think they actually said they used locking screws.
I would be fine with this, trying more secure screws out. Post if you find it thanks.

My choice would definitely be the silver as it will not be so prominent on top of the vehicle. There is no doubt the silver will blend well with the Granite Crystal Metallic paint.
Yeah, the silver just doesn't blend right with the darker granite. It isn't the same color match. In this sense, the black goes nice with the "S", IMHO.

I don't know, I would definitely say the black would be better than the silver. We have the GCM and to me it lends better to the black; the silver looks like it would contrast more. Opinions, gotta love em!
Yes, I agree.

Here are 2 pics I took recently at REI with the Thule Motion XT XL (I want the XXL). I think it looks good on the granite "S", especially with my darker tints. The 1st image shows the Motion (higher line, cost more, gloss black) and the Force (carbon black), both in XL. I have ordered both and will keep only one.

20180518_135317 by LC Turnatrax, on Flickr

20180518_134139_HDR by LC Turnatrax, on Flickr

Reactions: Toast
1 - 8 of 8 Posts