2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took advantage of the REI Memorial Day (20% off) sale and snatched up a Thule Motion XT XXL Roof Box. It's their largest one; I tried the XL and thought it was a bit small on the Pacifica (but that is just my own subjective preference). I also went with the gloss black to go with my Granite "S" Pac. Can't wait for another road trip! :)

Clearance is no issue. Everything fits perfectly. Pacifica factory bars need to be in the "closer together" distance setting and not the "further apart" setting. Tripane sunroof has no interference whatsoever: the pop up front panel and the retracting glass have no issues. There is plenty of clearance for the radio (shark) fin in the rear and liftgate easily clears (this was my biggest concern, but turns out to be plenty of space). Driving home on the freeway there is minimal noise and gas mileage didn't seem different (though packed out, I could see a few MPG hit). All in all, I love the look and the functionality. Anyway, if you are looking for a roof top box, the Thule Motion series is gorgeous and fits perfectly. Also had at least 3 people ask what kind of car it was and smile in approval :laugh: [As you know, REI is Subaru-land!] Here are some pics!

The box is absolutely gigantic!

You can see the liftgate clears easily, no problem at all!

Went to Lowes and picked up some Tornado wall-mount hooks, a 40" bar, and mounted in my garage. Will get some bungee cords to secure later tonight.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Looks really good with your Pac, now you're ready for more road trips!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Wow! Looks cool! I thought that we had enough space in our Pacifica... Apparently some of us need more space!

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's really cool how the outline of the box follows the lines of the glass windows on the van. Great choice. Very sharp.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the comments everyone. where on a road trip here in Santa Barbara California, but in our Odyssey ?

seeing more more pacifica's here in California though.

H

·
0 Posts
Hello. We are about to take a moving/road trip across the country and need as much space capacity as we can get in the cargo box. I really would like to purchase the Thule Motion XXL because it is the largest. However, when looking at the Pacifica Owners Manual and getting feedback from "CarID" web-site, it is not listing this size as a possible option. The Owners Manual states that weight should not exceed 155 pounds. It's a bit confusing because I obviously see the pictures of this fitting very nicely on top of your Pacifica. :) Do you have any thoughts or recommendations for us?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello. We are about to take a moving/road trip across the country and need as much space capacity as we can get in the cargo box. I really would like to purchase the Thule Motion XXL because it is the largest. However, when looking at the Pacifica Owners Manual and getting feedback from "CarID" web-site, it is not listing this size as a possible option. The Owners Manual states that weight should not exceed 155 pounds. It's a bit confusing because I obviously see the pictures of this fitting very nicely on top of your Pacifica. :) Do you have any thoughts or recommendations for us?

Thanks so much!
welcome to the forum. exciting to be going across the country, but lots to prep! i dont know what to tell you about the motion XXL. it works just fine. it weighs 50 lbs. you can mount 100 more lbs into it. strategy-wise, i'd try to stick as much stuff in it as possible but also the lighter-weight items. but again, the rack is rated at 150 lbs and the folks at REI were very helpful in recommending it for the Pac. it fits perfect and looks even better :grin2:

·
Registered
86 Posts
That looks really good! Appreciate the info and thanks for all of the pics. I want something for the roof give us and the dogs a little more room on longer trips. This looks like a great option.

·
Registered
83 Posts
@lightrules, followed your lead on this product. Thank you for taking the time to leave us such great information. Installing was very easy with your tips on where to have the bars, etc. Loving the way it looks, too! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@lightrules, followed your lead on this product. Thank you for taking the time to leave us such great information. Installing was very easy with your tips on where to have the bars, etc. Loving the way it looks, too! :)
Awesome! I assume it's the largest XXL? Looks to me like it.

Hope you love it!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Awesome! I assume it's the largest XXL? Looks to me like it.

Hope you love it!
Yes, it is. The gentleman at REI wanted to double check that it would fit and I showed him your pictures. He said, "well, ït looks like my job has been done for me". :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
We bought the box after seeing your great post just after buying a new Pacifica. Did the Pacifica come with the two cross arms that the box clips on to? Or did you buy the cross braces aftermarket? I appreciate your help. Thanks, JEFF

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We bought the box after seeing your great post just after buying a new Pacifica. Did the Pacifica come with the two cross arms that the box clips on to? Or did you buy the cross braces aftermarket? I appreciate your help. Thanks, JEFF
Jeff, my 2018 TL+ came with the crossbars built-in. I think they call it Stow N Rack or something like that. But it also depends what model you have and that will determine if the bars come standard or not.

Tip: Put your car info in your signature so people can see what you have and makes things easier to respond in a more helpful way. Congrats on getting a Pac!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lightrules - Thanks for your quick reply. I'll post the window sticker shortly so we can continue the discussion. Thanks again. Love your rig - super cool. JEFF

·
Registered
348 Posts
so long story short, now that we're a family of 6 (just had twins) we're pre-planning for future vacations. I was looking on ebay at thule motion xxl's to see what they go for. I came acrossed a seller that was local that had one. After looking at there page, they had a 2nd one but it was unmarked. Not being able to tell which model it was I based my decision off of size and won it for $150.00. The seller being a large local reseller of returns said I could return it if I did not like it. Sold! I picked it up and mounted it during my pickup. I really like it but for life of me I can't figure out what model it is. I believe length is similar or same as the motion xxl, however I can't find another picture online of another thule cargo case looking the same. Kicker why it was "returned" has scratches on passenger side handle. Rest is mint.

Some info on cargo carrier:
opens both sides with locks
interior has a carpet like liner on the bottom
has the thule quick mount ratcheting tie down system
came with two led bars that take batteries, but unsure about these at the moment.

you'll notice the front nose looks quite different, for life of me can't figure out which model this is.

edit, think i found it. Thule vector?

https://gearpatrol.com/2018/10/25/thule-2019-line/

looks like the one in the pic.

found it for sale overseas:

https://www.dakdragerexpert.nl/thule-dakkoffer-vector-m

http://www.thulegroup.com/en/content/thule-sets-new-standard-global-market-leader-launch-innovative-new-cargo-boxes-and-next

Attachments

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@inis, awesome price and looks sharp; very aero!

·
Registered
2 Posts
@lightrules, Can you repost your pictures? I am looking for a box and was hoping to see your setup, thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
@lightrules , Can you repost your pictures? I am looking for a box and was hoping to see your setup, thanks!
Similar request here. Have been thinking of Thule Motion XT XL in Titan Galaxy color. Looking for something that is easy to install and take off so we don't end up with it staying on the roof when we aren't using it.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sure fellas, here you go...great box in every way.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts