2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Our Pacifica Limited is equipped with the optional 20" wheels with Falken ZIEX CT50 tires. These tires are fine, but not great. Around 18K I started hearing road noise from the tires. In the snow, and wet weather they tend to loose their grip very easily. At 31K they now routinely have poor grip or traction upon acceleration. Has anyone replaced the tires yet on their Pacifica?

I am strongly considering Michelin Premier LTX as replacements for the Falken tires. Any thoughts?
I have used Michelin tires since Michelin first went tubeless. I would have bought them even if I had to use tubes, because they were THAT good and tubes were part of the price. The police department where I lived had been using them since 1965, but had to stop because smeone complained that they were made in France. Then the PD started having tire problems. The only concern I have now is that maybe Michelin tires aren't quite as UV resistant here in the great, hot, sunny desert as Pirelli. But I temper that with:
  • With 50 years of driving on Michelin tires, I know how they will behave when avoiding an accident. Load Range E truck tires on a fully loaded Dodge 3500 diesel 4x4 avoiding a jack knifing truck on a narrow mountain road behaved just as predictably--with the same fringe noises--as 134 MPH rated highway tires.
  • One week after replacing the OEM Goodrich radials with Michelin tires on our then-new `82 Mazda 626, my 5 months pregnant wife had to make avoidance maneuvers in pouring rain on a curving road. "Her thoughts were, "Here I go, wrecking our new car." She didn't wreck it, and missed the accident by several feet. She reported later that the OEM tires would not have worked for that avoidance. Those tires lasted nearly 50,000 miles back when we drove a lot. Put a price on that.
  • Three years ago, my daughter (who hates driving) missed a nail puncture in RR tire in her car. It started swaying on the freeway, which is really a glorified ditch. By the time she got to a place to pull off safely, the tire--a Michelin--was toast. But the tread and belt were still attached and had only polished the inner fender. Other brands come apart in a strip and make the car roll over. Put a price on that difference.
But these are just my own memories and opinions.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Ok, @Mikey30 and others, so why not the Michelin Defender LTX that some people have already mentioned? 235/60R18/XL 107H91738 115,000 Kilometers / 6 years
since we've got such a heavy minivan and the Defenders have a higher load rating. As "truck" tires it makes me think they might be more durable and accustomed to a heavier vehicle.
I've got the OEM Premier A/S at 100,000+ km and have the inside and outside edge feathering that other people are describing. I think it's the nature of the beast though, since my Ody had the same issue too. I try to keep the tires at 37 psi cold and have even wear on them, rotating twice a year when I swap my snows in and out.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts