2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After noticing my new PacHy (1000 miles) was pulling to the right, I checked the air pressure in the tires. Sure enough it was low (31 pounds). I put air in the tire hoping that would be it. Unfortunately, the next morning it was completely flat.

I used the Tire Service Kit with sealant. It worked perfectly. Drove myself to the dealer where they cleaned out the tire and checked for punctures or gashes. They weren't able to find the cause of the leak, but the tire seems to be holding air okay so far.

The shock came when I found the cost of the refill cartridge - $80!! It seems a bit excessive given that I can buy a fix-a-flat canister or sealant on Amazon for a fraction of that price. Heck, I can even buy on eBay a new Tire Service Kit for less than the refill!

Does anyone know whether it is necessary to use the Mopar specified sealant?

Has anyone had issues with their tires?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
After noticing my new PacHy (1000 miles) was pulling to the right, I checked the air pressure in the tires. Sure enough it was low (31 pounds). I put air in the tire hoping that would be it. Unfortunately, the next morning it was completely flat.

I used the Tire Service Kit with sealant. It worked perfectly. Drove myself to the dealer where they cleaned out the tire and checked for punctures or gashes. They weren't able to find the cause of the leak, but the tire seems to be holding air okay so far.

The shock came when I found the cost of the refill cartridge - $80!! It seems a bit excessive given that I can buy a fix-a-flat canister or sealant on Amazon for a fraction of that price. Heck, I can even buy on eBay a new Tire Service Kit for less than the refill!

I haven't had to use the sealant, but I saw these two Mopar refills online for around $31-33. Some of the time the 2017+ Pacifica showed up on the the list, but it looks like the standard refill for Chrysler and Dodge tire sealant kits.

https://parts.bobboyddodge.com/oem-parts/mopar-spare-tire-kits-82212850?origin=pla&gclid=CjwKCAiA4vbSBRBNEiwAMorER0zC1j2Cu3QFbobiNJm5we5M31nsX8xFsbV9_m_w7LMDH8jEjA1ivhoCRyUQAvD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Dodge-82212850-Spare-Tire/dp/B00GAYSMNM/ref=pd_sbs_263_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00GAYSMNM&pd_rd_r=2QAF4J0DYBMDB6WN7QQV&pd_rd_w=x3rx6&pd_rd_wg=dcmXy&psc=1&refRID=2QAF4J0DYBMDB6WN7QQV

The quote below is from the related thread for those who didn't see it.
generic sealant works just fine. dealer just have a dramatic mark up for their products to make a nice size profit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, SciTChr. I appreciate the info.

I also saw that on Amazon you can buy a spare tire kit similar to Mopar kit from Fix-A-Flat for $23. I won't be taking my car back to the dealer for regular maintenance if they are going to try to rip me off whenever they get a chance. I was hoping that service would be better than sales, but I guess not.

·
Registered
189 Posts

Did the dealership charge you any fees for cleaning the tire sealant out of the tire?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have a new and unused Mopar tire inflater kit if anyone is interested. $75 shipped.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: I filled out the customer satisfaction survey after taking my car in. I wrote how I was not happy with being overcharged for the refill.

Sometime later, I got a letter from the dealer apologizing for the poor customer experience and that I would receive $50 off my next maintenance visit!

It seems they are really working to improve their customer service. Fill out those surveys people! They actually read them!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Buying drinks at the hotel bar is often more expensive than the bar down the street. :) But that's business in general. Uh... I don't price check bars. Honestly. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not having a spare tire is a big problem for Pacifica. I had a flat tire in middle of nowhere with my small kids in the car, in a snow storm far from any city. Then, my local Chrysler dealership blamed me for making their repair job hard by using their sealant to get back home! As if I designed this car! I had to wait for 3 days for my local dealer to fix my flat tire, they had to wait for the sealant to dry up and get scraped out of the tire! Besides the tire repair fee, the price for getting the replacement sealant was $110 (including taxes) at my local Chrysler dealership! This is about half the cost of a new tire, so getting tire insurance for these cars doesn't seem to help much. I am not sure if the sealant chamber can even be refilled. I can not see anyway to remove the old sealant chamber. I ordered a new compressor with sealant on Ebay for $47 (including shipping). I wish this car had some space for a spare tire.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Not having a spare tire is a big problem for Pacifica. I had a flat tire in middle of nowhere with my small kids in the car, in a snow storm far from any city. Then, my local Chrysler dealership blamed me for making their repair job hard by using their sealant to get back home! As if I designed this car! I had to wait for 3 days for my local dealer to fix my flat tire, they had to wait for the sealant to dry up and get scraped out of the tire! Besides the tire repair fee, the price for getting the replacement sealant was $110 (including taxes) at my local Chrysler dealership! This is about half the cost of a new tire, so getting tire insurance for these cars doesn't seem to help much. I am not sure if the sealant chamber can even be refilled. I can not see anyway to remove the old sealant chamber. I ordered a new compressor with sealant on Ebay for $47 (including shipping). I wish this car had some space for a spare tire.
If you put your van info in the signature line of the account settings it will show up at the bottom of your posts.
If you have a hybrid, there isn't an enclosed space for a spare.
If you don't have a vacuum in a gas Pacifica, there is a way to replace the shelf with a trim piece in the back and a place to put the inflatable spare tire. Some members with gas Pacificas put the spare in a stow and go well. There are many threads about spare tires.
See posts 10 and 18:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts