2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

After a lot of reading about the car (mainly in this forum), I am about to pull the trigger on a 2018 Limited Hybrid. Since I couldn't find a car on the lot with color option of my choice (Black Exterior and Deep Mocha Interior), dealer is suggesting to place a custom order. While I am ready to wait for the delivery, I want to make sure I can use the tax credit for this year. Dealer says, VIN of the car is generated a week from when the order is submitted. With the VIN, I could sign the contract papers and go for the loan. This would mean I completed the car purchase in 2017.

Can anyone suggest if this will work (or) if there is any risk in doing it ? I am willing to wait for a few months to get the car option of my choice if I can still use the tax credit. Or else, I will have to settle for available colors dealer has got.

Thanks!

·
Registered
369 Posts
While I am ready to wait for the delivery, I want to make sure I can use the tax credit for this year. Dealer says, VIN of the car is generated a week from when the order is submitted. With the VIN, I could sign the contract papers and go for the loan. This would mean I completed the car purchase in 2017.

Thanks!
Sales reps put forth this idea for EVs at the end of every year, though is definitely not true. IRS cares about the date the car was "placed in service" rather than VIN generation, loan payment made, etc. If you haven't taken delivery of the PacHy by Dec 31 you won't be able to take the credit in 2017.

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L (9/2016 Build)
2,231 Posts
Hello All,
After a lot of reading about the car (mainly in this forum), I am about to pull the trigger on a 2018 Limited Hybrid. Since I couldn't find a car on the lot with color option of my choice (Black Exterior and Deep Mocha Interior), dealer is suggesting to place a custom order.
Are there any dealers within a reasonable driving distance that you might purchase the van from? You don't have to have the warranty work done there, any Chrysler dealer will work for that and service. (If you have to cross state lines for a purchase, that might get more complicated with registration or emissions requirements.) You can check the internet to see where the closest van might be and even see the window sticker on the internet. It may be that there isn't a van with the combination that you prefer and that you may end up ordering it. I don't know if they can still order mocha for the 2018 Pacifica. It doesn't look like it is an option on the 2018 Chrysler website. It looks like black or alloy are the choices for seats. Maybe you can do a custom order, but that may take time, so you may have to decide what the options are if the vehicle doesn't make it to you by the end of the year if you order it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hello All,

After a lot of reading about the car (mainly in this forum), I am about to pull the trigger on a 2018 Limited Hybrid. Since I couldn't find a car on the lot with color option of my choice (Black Exterior and Deep Mocha Interior), dealer is suggesting to place a custom order. While I am ready to wait for the delivery, I want to make sure I can use the tax credit for this year. Dealer says, VIN of the car is generated a week from when the order is submitted. With the VIN, I could sign the contract papers and go for the loan. This would mean I completed the car purchase in 2017.

Can anyone suggest if this will work (or) if there is any risk in doing it ? I am willing to wait for a few months to get the car option of my choice if I can still use the tax credit. Or else, I will have to settle for available colors dealer has got.

Thanks!

One in... Gilroy, California and Painesville, Ohio

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/s...=false&filtersModified=true#listing=191797044

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/s...=false&filtersModified=true#listing=191688448

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sales reps put forth this idea for EVs at the end of every year, though is definitely not true. IRS cares about the date the car was "placed in service" rather than VIN generation, loan payment made, etc. If you haven't taken delivery of the PacHy by Dec 31 you won't be able to take the credit in 2017.
Thank you. Wasn't aware that "placing in service" is a must-do for claiming credit. Found a few links (including one that says how credit was declined for an undelivered vehicle)

currentfederaltaxdevelopments.com/blog/2015/11/20/electric-vehicle-not-placed-in-service-by-year-end-credit-denied

insideevs.com/top-15-faqs-income-tax-credit-plug-vehicles/

Reactions: pachyderm

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are there any dealers within a reasonable driving distance that you might purchase the van from? You don't have to have the warranty work done there, any Chrysler dealer will work for that and service. (If you have to cross state lines for a purchase, that might get more complicated with registration or emissions requirements.) You can check the internet to see where the closest van might be and even see the window sticker on the internet. It may be that there isn't a van with the combination that you prefer and that you may end up ordering it. I don't know if they can still order mocha for the 2018 Pacifica. It doesn't look like it is an option on the 2018 Chrysler website. It looks like black or alloy are the choices for seats. Maybe you can do a custom order, but that may take time, so you may have to decide what the options are if the vehicle doesn't make it to you by the end of the year if you order it.

Even I wasn't sure if 2018 hybrids come in mocha interiors. But was convinced after seeing a few sold window stickers with that option in the dealership.

I extended my search up to a few hundred miles where I could travel and take the delivery. Unfortunately, except for a couple (white/ granite black exterior and mocha interior) in Gilroy there isn't any I could find. When contacted, even the Gilroy dealer says those two cars are already booked :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One in... Gilroy, California and Painesville, Ohio

The one in Gilroy is booked by someone else already. Ohio looks interesting but don't know how feasible it will be to arrange delivery of this car to Northern California. But I am going to try, thanks for the pointers.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ahhh, the dilemma of needing to purchase in a specific timeframe, while getting exactly what you want. You may have settle for a color combo that may not be your ideal, but you can live with. I had 2 PacHy's to choose from, a Black Platinum with 18' wheels, and Molten Silver (beige) with 17" wheels. Loved the 18" wheels, but wondered how long I could keep them pristine and unscratched, and definitely didn't want black since I live in the south. Fortunately, they both had the black/alloy interior, so I took the Molten Silver. You'd think if the color has "silver" in the name, it would try to look kind-of like 'silver' - depending on which way the sun shines on it? Why not call it "Metallic Clear Coat Beige" - but I get how that wouldn't be a good marketable color name.

With the congress dilly-dallying on the $7,500 tax credit issue, I'm sure a lot of smart buyers will be out looking to make their purchase before year-end, especially if the final bill comes in out in Dec with the elimination/reduction of the tax credit in 2018. Good luck trying to find any PacHy's in stock then! One side wants to keep, the other wants to eliminate. My best guess is it will be phased out over a couple years, but they could put a higher gas-free mileage target or larger KW/hr battery limit on it to obtain the credit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I finally managed to book a Bright White 2018 Hybrid Limited with Black/ Diesel interior today for $4k off the MSRP. The car is in transit from Ohio with an ETA of 9th December. Hopefully I will be able to take the delivery before the end of the year. While I am not super excited about this color option, felt it's not a deal breaker and it will grow on me. Saw a gas limited on the lot and it kinda looked good during the daylight. Thanks for all the suggestions I received, certainly helped in making up my mind.

Dealer was trying to sell the lifetime warranty from Mopar for an additional $3.5K. I am not completely convinced yet but the issues I am hearing about 2017 Pacificas is definitely scaring me.

P.S: Went with the same dealer in Gilroy, CA that many suggested in the forum. A simple no-non sense deal as they obliged to the internet price without any fuss. My sales person Lalo was saying that so many are calling tfrom across the country to check if the price is for real :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
I finally managed to book a Bright White 2018 Hybrid Limited with Black/ Diesel interior today for $4k off the MSRP. The car is in transit from Ohio with an ETA of 9th December. Hopefully I will be able to take the delivery before the end of the year. While I am not super excited about this color option, felt it's not a deal breaker and it will grow on me. Saw a gas limited on the lot and it kinda looked good during the daylight. Thanks for all the suggestions I received, certainly helped in making up my mind.

Dealer was trying to sell the lifetime warranty from Mopar for an additional $3.5K. I am not completely convinced yet but the issues I am hearing about 2017 Pacificas is definitely scaring me.

P.S: Went with the same dealer in Gilroy, CA that many suggested in the forum. A simple no-non sense deal as they obliged to the internet price without any fuss. My sales person Lalo was saying that so many are calling tfrom across the country to check if the price is for real :)
Thats who we've been talking to, he told me document fee is 80. Is this true, he said whatever car price is plus 80 bucks and im out the door.

If you pickup there yes. If they ship out of state then no. You get the upgraded warranty either way.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
What upgrade warranty?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Thats who we've been talking to, he told me document fee is 80. Is this true, he said whatever car price is plus 80 bucks and im out the door.

What upgrade warranty?
They get 10 years 150k for battery warranty vs the standard 10 year 100k.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Yes, I am too charged 80 bucks for the document fee.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yes, I got the VIN already (vehicle was already built and in transit to dealer) and ended up signing the purchase contract to get the loan process started with my credit union.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thought of posting an update here. I took delivery of the car today. Bang on, right before end of the year. TBH I was a little skeptical but it went well in the end. Will post some pictures in the 'New Car Registry' forum.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The first and most important suggestion that I will give that many people DO NOT do is: READ the manual. Its a 30,000-$40,000 piece of new tech. Most of your foreseeable problems will be fixed in doing so.
2- Manual states 5 QT for oil but its wrong its 6QT....

Reactions: seo68

·
Registered
349 Posts
Thought of posting an update here. I took delivery of the car today. Bang on, right before end of the year. TBH I was a little skeptical but it went well in the end. Will post some pictures in the 'New Car Registry' forum.
Congrats! We had a horrible time with Lalo and South County in general. We were told that we could purchase it over the phone when it came in after xmas. Then got told 3pm Thursday that we needed to be there in person. After finding flights, making kid arrangements, dog arrangements, changing my work schedule I went to confirm with Lalo and the dealer. Then they go "oh well we better verify its here in person then since you're booking" ...this is after they told us it came in on Wednesday. It took them from 2pm to almost 9p to confirm. By then tickets went from 2xx to 5xx. We backed out, they were to iffy for us and the extra 1k to get there didn't help. Owner Brian is an ass too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts