2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t even know where to start.... I don’t even feel safe driving this vehicle.

I called Chrysler customer service to see if there were any recalls or known problems and she told me no. I am hoping by posting here someone can help me.

Keyless entry/remote start doesn’t work.

**Both sliding doors lose power randomly and go into “operate manual mode”.

**Occasionally The sliding door on the drivers side will open on its own when we go to close it. It will get about halfway or 3/4 of the way and just open.

** The lift gate does the same thing.... acts like it’s going to shut and then opens.

**the dealership has “fixed” these problems.... twice. Clearly it hasn’t been fixed.

The air conditioner makes a “woosh sound” and the air do ant have consistent pressure coming out of the vent.

Most recently, I went to start the vehicle and couldn’t. The break was locked and the error message said “service shifter”. Not long after this, while waiting on the tow, the car battery completely died. We had a jump and I was able to drive home.

Since then, the car has to work “extra hard” to turn on. I almost hold my breath and just hope my family and I won’t be stranded.

The vehicle is just over two years old and has 33509 miles on it.

Someone please help. Chrysler won’t, the dealership “has”. I don’t even know what to do anymore. We bought a “reliable family vehicle” and it’s anything but.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
You have a number of random electrical issues so I would start with cleaning terminals and then a brand new battery as your first two steps. Search the forum for people who’ve had to change main and ESS batteries already and some of their symptoms may sound familiar to you.
‘Back in the day’ automotive electrical systems were typically designed to keep working all the way down to at least 9.6 volts (3 volts less than nominal battery 12.6V and tolerant of a completely shorted 2.1v battery cell). I don’t think young automotive computer system designers are taught to leave enough margin on the low end.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I don’t even know where to start.... I don’t even feel safe driving this vehicle.

I called Chrysler customer service to see if there were any recalls or known problems and she told me no. I am hoping by posting here someone can help me.

Keyless entry/remote start doesn’t work.

**Both sliding doors lose power randomly and go into “operate manual mode”.

**Occasionally The sliding door on the drivers side will open on its own when we go to close it. It will get about halfway or 3/4 of the way and just open.

** The lift gate does the same thing.... acts like it’s going to shut and then opens.

**the dealership has “fixed” these problems.... twice. Clearly it hasn’t been fixed.

The air conditioner makes a “woosh sound” and the air do ant have consistent pressure coming out of the vent.

Most recently, I went to start the vehicle and couldn’t. The break was locked and the error message said “service shifter”. Not long after this, while waiting on the tow, the car battery completely died. We had a jump and I was able to drive home.

Since then, the car has to work “extra hard” to turn on. I almost hold my breath and just hope my family and I won’t be stranded.

The vehicle is just over two years old and has 33509 miles on it.

Someone please help. Chrysler won’t, the dealership “has”. I don’t even know what to do anymore. We bought a “reliable family vehicle” and it’s anything but.

Welcome to the forum.

I agree about ruling out a battery issue since there have been several posts about bad batteries (less than a year old) causing weird problems. Besides replacing the battery, you might also change the fob battery to see if that helps the remote start issue. There have been posts about some fob batteries not lasting a year.

The forum search feature might also be helpful if the battery wasn't the source of the problems. There is a lot of good info in the forum. If there is another dealership you can go to, that might be another option.

If you go to the Mopar owner's website and put your VIN in, you can see if there are any recalls for your van. Don't stress out about the parking brake recall since it is really just a 1 inch trim piece that gets replaced so that someone can't access the manual release strap as easily. You should still have it done, but it isn't as critical as it sounds in the recall. You will wonder why it even needs done when you read about it, but since it could be a potential safety issue if the strap were pulled, it has a recall.

If you put your van info (year, trim, gas/hybrid, etc.) in the signature line of the User CP (click on the red letters next to Log Out), it will show up at the bottom every time and may help others assist you. I hope things improve.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
How is a 2018 nearly 2 years old?
The person joined the forum in 2018 to try to resolve issues with the van, but probably has a 2017 built in 2016. My 2017 Pacifica was built in Sept 2016 and has around 27,700 miles and is about 2 years old.

I hope we hear if it was the battery or what solved the problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to update.....

My husband took the van to the dealership on Thursday (it wouldn’t start again). Turns out that battery had a crack in it and has been leaking. It is at the dealership and they did find several recalls they are also going to fix. Well get it back sometime next week and hopefully that will solve the issues.

We are contemplating trading in our 2017 and getting the 2018..... we are too close to the factory warranty running out and this car has had way too many problems for me to want to risk that.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Just to update.....

My husband took the van to the dealership on Thursday (it wouldn’t start again). Turns out that battery had a crack in it and has been leaking. It is at the dealership and they did find several recalls they are also going to fix. Well get it back sometime next week and hopefully that will solve the issues.

We are contemplating trading in our 2017 and getting the 2018..... we are too close to the factory warranty running out and this car has had way too many problems for me to want to risk that.
If you are planning on getting a new one, be sure it is a 2019. They are now being delivered to the dealers. No advertised changes (other than colors and option list changes), but those running engineering changes will be the latest.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I can't blame your frustration on this, but just about every problem you described in your initial post can be caused by a bad battery. Electrical problems can be a real pain to diagnose, and it sounds like your dealer didn't get it right the first few times. There's a good chance a new battery and clean terminals will have everything working well for years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If I was you, I would switch to a Honda Odyssey. Like you I have had MAJOR issues with my 2017 CP and will NEVER own another Chyrsler. My wife's Honda Odyssey has more miles than my CP and has only been in the shop for oil changes and tire rotations. According to my online research there are class action lawsuits started or starting against FCA as a result of the Pacifica issues. Although I have been contacted by one of the law firms I have not yet decided to join the class action.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Instead of trading in because you're worried about the warranty: it'd be much cheaper for you to just get an extended warranty. See the numerous other threads on the forum about getting these relatively cheap from Chrysler. I believe they'll sell them up to the moment the factory warranty expires.

You'll get absolutely creamed financially on the trade-in, it's one of those ways people voluntarily separate themselves from large amounts of their money.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Despite the vast number of recalls the Honda Oddity has had I’m shocked that owners claim all they needed were oil changes on them. Though their service lots are always full and the recalls are numerous I find it hard to buy into glowing praise of those things.
Here’s a good source for the facts... https://www.cars.com/recalls/honda-odyssey/
I’ve had every incarnation of Chrysler minivans from the original Caravan up to the early 2000 models and now the Pacifica. Wow... what a fantastic evolution!
The new Pacifica had a couple minor glitches if you don’t include that confounded infotainment system (grrrr) but far fewer than I expected from a first year model.
I’d buy another readily and in fact might just do so to get more bells and whistles and the granny guardian features that might help with my slowing reaction times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Waldo, do you think that the running engineering changes for the '19's will make them that much better than the '18's?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts