2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
I need to order one on eBay.
I got the Mopar hitch plug for about $13 on Amazon. Not sure how much it is on ebay or from the dealer.

https://www.amazon.com/MOPAR-DODGE-TOWING-RECEIVER-RUBBER/dp/B004Y4TCCU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478718960&sr=8-1&keywords=mopar+hitch+plug

Off topic, do you have your winter tires on yet? I like the tire/rim package you ordered, but want to see it on the van first.
Not yet. I was going to swap them this weekend, but after seeing info about the QuickJack posted in another thread, I'm going to hold off for a week or two :)

·
Registered
746 Posts
I ordered mine with a factory tow package and was told by several, that you do get upgraded mechanicals that is why it has a higher tow rating.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone had issues or even tried adding the tow package by a dealer? As part of our sales agreement, we got the dealer to commit to throwing in the tow package as soon as the parts are available. We agreed this would only consist of the hitch and wiring harness (no new radiator, alternator, etc.). Well the day finally came 1 yr later that the parts were "available". My Pacifica is currently at the dealer for install and they just called to tell me that they are trying to find a bumper/fascia (specifically, a part number) that will fit with the hitch. Has anyone dealt with this?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Has anyone had issues or even tried adding the tow package by a dealer? As part of our sales agreement, we got the dealer to commit to throwing in the tow package as soon as the parts are available. We agreed this would only consist of the hitch and wiring harness (no new radiator, alternator, etc.). Well the day finally came 1 yr later that the parts were "available". My Pacifica is currently at the dealer for install and they just called to tell me that they are trying to find a bumper/fascia (specifically, a part number) that will fit with the hitch. Has anyone dealt with this?
Don't know why they would have a hard time.......Chrysler makes that bumper cover, they just need to order it.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I ordered mine with a factory tow package and was told by several, that you do get upgraded mechanicals that is why it has a higher tow rating.
the key with the tow package from factory is the electronic sway control. It does not increase tow capabilities.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I need to order one on eBay. Trying to decide if I should get splash guards as well! Off topic, do you have your winter tires on yet? I like the tire/rim package you ordered, but want to see it on the van first.
do get the splash guards. well worth it.

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
the key with the tow package from factory is the electronic sway control. It does not increase tow capabilities.
Sure it does. Without the factory tow package, the Pacifica's towing capacity is reduced to 1500 lbs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I visited my local dealer last week to get a quote on parts to install the tow package - as you said, just the hitch, fascia and the little cover around the hitch, as well as the package to re-locate the hatch door sensor(s). The dealer did indeed have trouble with the fascia p/n. The listing for the hitch shows a revised number for the fascia, but neither the dealer's system nor Chrysler's online system showed that number. However, when the cost of the remaining parts tallied over $1k I didn't press the issue. If I ever really want the hitch I believe I'll go for an after market and see what's involved with moving the sensor. All I plan on"towing" is a bike rack or a small platform. My main reservation on the after market hitch is ground clearance - I had one on a previous T&C that often scraped driveways and such till I finally installed air shocks.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Actually, yes, the tow package increases the tow rating from 1500 to 3600.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hitch installed!! Attached is an image of the parts (numbers) required to add the hitch (includes hitch receiver/wiring/bumper fascia/rivets) to your 2017 Pacifica Limited. (mine does NOT have foot sensing rear door). Sorry, I don't have prices as I stated they agreed to add it in when I bought it. But, at least you can see the bumper part number (68282631-AD). It is very likely that this will be the first Pacifica Hitch install for your dealership, so I would have this info for them if you proceed with install.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've just scheduled the dealer to install a trailer hitch on my Limited with the kick sensors on the rear gate. The parts department quoted a price of just over $517, which should include the hitch receiver, the fascia replacement piece and the twin kick sensors that will be mounted on the fascia on either side of the actual hitch and will replace the existing single sensor. The service department gave me a quick quote of $100 to install the parts. Total price $617 or so.

The problem I'm having is that no one at the dealership seems really sure of what their doing. Originally the parts department quoted over $1150 for the parts, but that apparently included a wiring harness for actually towing trailers. But that doesn't make sense either since the wiring harness shouldn't be more than around $200. And the install on that is incredibly complicated -- the parts dept showed me a 28 page instruction packet just for that.

From what I can tell, my install for a hitch that will handle just a bike carrier requires three basic parts and a little labor to remove the old parts and install the new ones.

Question is has anyone had just a trailer hitch installed at a dealership on a Pacifica with kick sensors for use as a bike carrier? And what did it cost for the parts and labor?

·
Registered
170 Posts
@pac3: Not sure about kick sensors, but if you do decide to tow something with lights in the future, adding the lights is a $40 aftermarket kit (Tekonsha 118712): https://www.ebay.com/itm/322477807443
The install isn't too bad if you can don't drop all of the undercarriage covers, but instead tap into the rear cargo 12v socket. Tail light removal is pretty straightforward. I'd say it's a 3 hour job.
@Damoncaravanman: While you're correct from an "official" standpoint, Gohawks is correct as well. An aftermarket hitch can tow the same amount. It just doesn't benefit from the larger radiator or sway control software. But if you don't tow high grades in high heat, or have unstable loads or cross-winds, there's no technical reason the aftermarket can't match the tow package. I speak from experience after towing 3600lbs in the rockies on an aftermarket. The Pacifica behaved very confidently. Transmission/engine temps were normal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you've already purchased a Pacifica w/o the tow package you can certainly add a trailer hitch and that would likely work just fine. If you order a Pacifica with the Trailer Tow Group option you get a 'group' of upgrade items:

TRAILER TOW GROUP

1- 220 Amp Alternator - The alternator charges your battery whenever your engine is running and supplies additional electric power for the vehicle's electrical systems.

2- Seven pin and four pin Trailer Tow Wiring Harness

3- Class II Hitch with 2 -Inch Receiver. The Class II receiver hitch available on the Chrysler Pacifica models is a weight-carrying hitch rated up to 3,500 pounds of Gross Trailer Weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight of 300 pounds.

4- Heavy Duty Radiator
The heavy-duty radiator is designed to vent excess heat generated by heavy engine use.

5- Trailer Sway Damping
Trailer Sway Control+ recognizes unexpected vehicle or trailer motion that is not caused by steering input. The system then uses Electronic Stability Control+ to apply brake pressure on alternating wheels and adjust engine throttle to help eliminate the sway and maintain the vehicle and trailer system stability.
So if we bought a 2017 Pacifica w/o the tow package (because we didn't even know about it), we will never be able to tow more than 1,400 lbs? My trailer weights that much and we were hoping to add a hitch to tow our trailer. It looks like we would have to do a lot of upgrades and that doesn't seem cheap. Any advice? TIA

·
Registered
170 Posts
So if we bought a 2017 Pacifica w/o the tow package (because we didn't even know about it), we will never be able to tow more than 1,400 lbs? My trailer weights that much and we were hoping to add a hitch to tow our trailer. It looks like we would have to do a lot of upgrades and that doesn't seem cheap. Any advice? TIA
I'm not sure you've read to the end of this thread. My post just above yours answers your question: An aftermarket hitch can tow the same amount. It just doesn't benefit from the slightly larger radiator or sway control software. But if you don't tow high grades in high heat, or have unstable loads or cross-winds, there's no technical reason the aftermarket can't match the tow package. I speak from experience after towing 3600lbs in the rockies on an aftermarket hitch. The Pacifica behaved very confidently. No sway issues. Transmission/engine temps were normal. The tow package doesn't even help with transmission cooling. Just engine cooling. And the regular radiator cooled our engine just fine. In either case, the dash will tell you both temps at any time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No problems here either. I have been towing a 3,000lb+ pop-up camper over and back across the rockies quite a few times without issue or elevated temps on anything. And I am using all aftermarket parts. No sway issues, you actually forget you are towing when on highways at speed. I do wish we could select our own gear for those high mountain pass ascents and descents though. That's been my only gripe, and nothing the factory package can help with.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts