2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 TL+ Built April 2018, Dark Cardovan Pearl w/S package, hands free
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have learned a lot from coming here and lurking in the shadows, I try to give back when I can.

Last year we bought a 2013 Palomino popup camper. It was 2800lbs dry. I did a lot of research and I knew it would be pushing the Pacifica a little. I invested in the best aftermarket hitch etrailer has to offer (which was setup for a WDH), and an Andersen WDH to go along with it. After this past summer and towing with the van I can comfortably say I'm really happy with the setup. Tows like a dream and I'm getting roughly 18mpg. It tows so well I have to look in the rear view mirror to remind myself it's still there. I tried towing around the block without the WDH and that was pure garbage, lots of "see sawing" at the hitch. With the Anderson it takes me all of 5 minutes to connect and roll out and it feels like it was born to tow that way. No issues taking off from a stop heading up hill, no spinning tires.

I know that this is pushing the van some, and I'll always have some people that'll tell me it's probably too much. I understand that. I really try to watch what we load and when we load, it helps a lot. For instance I'll wait to we get somewhere and fill the tanks on site. I don't think we've ever hit the 3500 limit, but we've been close.

I do have a CDL for driving big trucks and have been doing so all my life. I have a fairly good understanding of how to load a trailer and the mindset that it's back there when I'm towing one. I just wanted to write up a quick something to let people know the van tows really well, even at it's upper limits... I'd even go so far as to say anything over ~ 2000-2500lbs and I would really be looking into a WDH and brake controller, without them I'd never feel comfortable towing heavier stuff.

Cheers!

·
Registered
481 Posts
The only thing other than a WDH you'd probably want to invest in is electric brakes for the trailer.

The Tow package comes with a brake controller and the ability to sense instability and apply the trailer brakes independently.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing other than a WDH you'd probably want to invest in is electric brakes for the trailer.

The Tow package comes with a brake controller and the ability to sense instability and apply the trailer brakes independently.
Let me clarify that I do not have the tow package. The trailer does have brakes and the brake controller does activate those brakes as I push the pedal.

If the trailer is loaded correctly, there shouldn't really be a need for the brakes to activate independently. That's just another form of sway control, yeah? There is sway control built into my WDH.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am also towing a camper with similar weight with the Anderson WDH, although mine is not a popup. Does pretty good but I keep it at 65MPH max.
Curious, how much tension do you put on the chains? Sometimes I feel like maybe too much, lots of creaking and popping when I raise the trailer jack. I've even used the Comma autopilot while towing and it does great.

·
Registered
499 Posts

Unless Chrysler changed the tow package since 2017, the factory tow package does not come with a brake controller. The tow package does have electronic trailer sway control but that uses the van's brakes, not the trailer's.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am also towing a camper with similar weight with the Anderson WDH, although mine is not a popup. Does pretty good but I keep it at 65MPH max.
Curious, how much tension do you put on the chains? Sometimes I feel like maybe too much, lots of creaking and popping when I raise the trailer jack. I've even used the Comma autopilot while towing and it does great.
Yeah, I don't drive like a nut either. I think my tires are 13", so driving crazy isn't smart. I keep it in the 60-65mph range.

I connect the ball and raise the jack to get everything on. This last trip I just used the marked socket to make 5 full turns on each side (forgot my wrench so couldn't do any more so it was all by hand). I think I might go for 6, but I didn't hear any type of noise while driving... maybe some while raising the jack, but a little is to be expected I would think as everything settles as you add tension. I had a very slight see saw effect but nothing like it is without the WDH. The trailer sits perfectly level, the van has a little crouch in the back but on the Anderson site they said a little is ok. I may move the ball down a notch and see what that looks like. (These pictures are when I first tried the Anderson a few months ago, things look a little different now, more tension on the chains than pictured at least).

Edit: Ours does not have AST so no autopilot... maybe the next one, lol

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm curious how the WDH works on a unibody vehicle. There's no rigid frame to transfer the load to the front wheels so wonder how much body flex might be incurred over time and use...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm curious how the WDH works on a unibody vehicle. There's no rigid frame to transfer the load to the front wheels so wonder how much body flex might be incurred over time and use...
I can see your point for towing all day every day, but I'll never know based on what I do. I tow some, but not a lot with the van. YTD I've maybe gone ~ 500 miles, and all that's on the East coast, mostly flat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts