2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a Limited with Safety Tec group and the kick sensors. Will there be a problem with adding a towing receiver hitch (3rd party) just for using our bike rack? Will the sensors be effected? My husband added one to our last van, but we didn't think about the sensors on this one when we bought.

·
Registered
180 Posts
We had a hands free doors instruction card hanging from one of the headrests in the van. One thing it shows is that vehicles with factory installed tow packages have the kick sensor on either side of the hitch, instead of directly in the center. So, if the hitch does interfere, maybe moving the sensor or swapping it out for a tow-package spec sensor is possible.

Im interested if anyone knows for sure. I'd like a hitch for this purpose as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We ended up ordering one from etrailer.com. They say in a video that it will not interfere with the Pacifica kick sensors.

·
Registered
180 Posts
We ended up ordering one from etrailer.com. They say in a video that it will not interfere with the Pacifica kick sensors.
Are you going to install it yourself or have a shop do it? If you're doing the install, I'd like to see some pictures of the kick sensor if you find it. It's under a cover, so it's not visible unless you take off some panels.

I'd also like to know how hard the job is and pics when you're done. Heck, start another aftermarket hitch thread.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure yet. My husband installed the one on our last van, but he said he would get estimates first from some shops before deciding.

·
Registered
50 Posts
We added a factory hitch after purchase and we were told there is one sensor centrally mounted if you don't have a hitch. If you have a factory hitch and kick sensors, you get two sensors, installed on either side of the hitch. We had the dealer perform the install and when it was finished, we had two sensors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, a local shop added the tow hitch receiver, and they didn't tell us until after the fact that they didn't know how to move the sensor. My husband called the dealer and asked if they could now move the sensor after we had installed a third party hitch receiver, and they said they had to do some research. They Called back and said they can't just move the one, and it would cost $1000 to install their towing package sensors. This seems insane. We have since figured out that the sensor is part of the bumper, and that is why it can't be moved. So now my sensor is useless. It seems to me they should have just or one sensor to the side in the first place to avoid this issue. You don't really need two sensors, and if they had just put it off center, it would have solved this problem. I know this is our fault for not doing our research before having the third party one installed, but we just assumed that it could be moved. Wrong!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow that sucks. Sorry to hear that. As far as the dealer cost to install the factory sensors, that's what we paid to add the hitch. With ours, we got the hitch, new lower rear valence, all the wiring and relocated sensors. Our installation took two days, so it seems pretty involved. My guess is they would uninstall your aftermarket hitch and replace with mopar equipment.

For what it's worth, we considered going aftermarket until we learned about the sensors. I was worried that the hitch would trick the sensor and open the hatch all the time.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
So, a local shop added the tow hitch receiver, and they didn't tell us until after the fact that they didn't know how to move the sensor. My husband called the dealer and asked if they could now move the sensor after we had installed a third party hitch receiver, and they said they had to do some research. They Called back and said they can't just move the one, and it would cost $1000 to install their towing package sensors. This seems insane. We have since figured out that the sensor is part of the bumper, and that is why it can't be moved. So now my sensor is useless. It seems to me they should have just or one sensor to the side in the first place to avoid this issue. You don't really need two sensors, and if they had just put it off center, it would have solved this problem. I know this is our fault for not doing our research before having the third party one installed, but we just assumed that it could be moved. Wrong!
$1000 to install the towing package sensors? It cost $800 and some change (or less) just to buy the tow package as an option.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you wanted a refund from etrailer in order to pay $1000 for the mopar installed, I think you have a strong case. I too saw them saying it will not interfere with the sensor. Thank you for relaying this correction. Unfortunately for us hybrid owners, we cannot simply order the car with hitch :(. If my order goes back to D from D1 again, I think I may change it to non-hybrid with tow.

·
Registered
562 Posts
In addition to the video, etrailer also says in numerous places in their Q&A that it will work with the sensors. So it's definitely disappointing that it doesn't.

I'm still planning on the hybrid, though. Will either get the dual sensors installed, try a mod myself, or just live with it not working.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just because the local shop didn't want to mess with it doesn't mean the sensor cant be moved. I've seen the sensor for the side doors, and it is quite large, so it's possible it can't move, but I bet someone can.

So does the sensor not work at all now? I'm interested in a light duty hitch so I'll be going down the same road at some point.

·
Registered
160 Posts
JPhi, are they really that big? What would you compare the size to?

·
Registered
180 Posts
JPhi, are they really that big? What would you compare the size to?
The car was on the ground so I couldn't get a good picture, but they are under the side skirts and appear to be 20"x5". Much bigger than expected. The under side of the rear bumper must be pretty big tho, and I'd hope you could
move it over to the side.

I might use "washing the car" as an excuse this weekend to get under mine and look around.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
probably big just to cover a wider range. Imagine if you had to kick only in one 2" by 2" spot. That would suck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
OK.... this one looks like fun.

I picked up my Limited this week. No tow package. We decided we didn't need it for the following reasons:

The cost was $995. The package includes the hitch itself, a larger radiator, and what appears to be some additional stability control for the vehicle.

Our planned usage for the hitch would be occasionally for a small carrier, or for a bike rack. Not planning to tow anything with this, as I have other options available if I need to use a trailer.

The hitch itself (aftermarket) can be purchased for MUCH less. I have not bought yet, but plan to do so soon. I'm intrigued by the usage of different (multiple) sensors if you do or don't have the tow package installed from the factory.

If I can get done with work soon enough tomorrow, I will pull the panel off and take a closer look. I also plan to check with the parts dept and see what the other sensor costs....

I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this, and make it all work with minimal expense.

-FV

·
Registered
562 Posts
Here's the description for the factory hitch receiver from Mopar:

https://mopar.chromedata.com/NextGen/C1111#/productDetails/10474208/258758662

The installation instructions at https://mopar.chromedata.com//RichContent/CDJR/K6859745AB.pdf show the new sensor kit (68275630AD) being installed on a new lower valance. They don't show the old sensor on the old valance. Maybe it's just not shown or it's attached elsewhere.

So looks like the worst case scenario is one needs to get the sensor kit for about US$150 online and potentially a new lower valance, or just drill holes in the existing one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just because the local shop didn't want to mess with it doesn't mean the sensor cant be moved. I've seen the sensor for the side doors, and it is quite large, so it's possible it can't move, but I bet someone can.

So does the sensor not work at all now? I'm interested in a light duty hitch so I'll be going down the same road at some point.
l

Nope, it doesn't work at all now that the hitch receiver is installed. Please update me if you figure out an inexpensive way to add the sensor or move it!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts