2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great photos.

3,300lb trailer but only 200lbs on the hitch. Recommended is 10 - 15% of the weight which is more like 300 to 450 pounds.

I haven't towed much, so good luck.

Good evening everyone,

I'm relatively new to the forum, and the Pacifica in general. Almost a month ago I purchased a certified used '17 Touring L with the intention of towing my boat with it. After about 170 miles towing in various conditions, I'm really happy with how this turned out.

My boat is an 18' Larson runabout, which I put on a scale a few years ago to find the axle weight at 3,300 lbs with a full tank. Add in about 200 lbs of tongue weight, and it sits right at the maximum capacity of the Pacifica, as well as the '14 Escape I previously towed it with. One thing that drove me to the Chrysler was the ability to view actual fluid temperatures in the instrument cluster display without messing with OBD adapters and such.

I dislike how we don't have the ability to exercise any manual control over the transmission, but the factory programming seems to be really well done. This thing never seems to hunt for gears, and learns the load quickly because it doesn't try to upshift the second I ease up on the accelerator pedal. Going down the highway with the boat, most of my time is spent in 6th gear around 2,500 RPMs, with the occasional shift to 7th. After pulling with Honda and Toyota vans in the past, I imagined the Pentastar V6 would have more than enough power with the trailer, and my van sure doesn't disappoint in that area. I have no difficulty staying with traffic, and the overall towing experience seems quite stable. My trailer has hydraulic surge brakes, which I think are a requirement towing with a vehicle in this weight class.

The cooling system seems up to the task, but my coolant temps have gone as high as 228* on the highway in warm weather. I'm happy with that, but if I see warmer temperatures as the summer progresses I may look at swapping the larger radiator that comes with the towing package. The transmission hasn't gone higher than 193*, and I attribute much of that to the transmission staying locked into gears rather than constantly hunting for the correct ratio.

Overall I'm quite happy with how it's handled, and is a great option to pull a correctly set-up trailer at this weight. :grin2:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Great photos.

3,300lb trailer but only 200lbs on the hitch. Recommended is 10 - 15% of the weight which is more like 300 to 450 pounds.

I haven't towed much, so good luck.
You’re technically correct, but many boat trailers don’t have a full 10% on the tongue because of the heavy engine at the stern. Everything is secondary to stability, and I’ve had this boat for nine years and have towed it over 10,000 miles. It’s solid as a rock behind every tow vehicle I’ve used, including the relatively short-wheelbase Ford Escape I had before my van.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am not a novice to towing having towed a 4200# boat safely as far 300 miles one way dozens of times with an appropriate tow vehicle (Durango with tow package) that has a tow capacity of 6200#. Reading TomB's posts suggest to me that he is towing with the Pacifica that has a tow capacity of 1500#. IF TomB had the factory tow package (which he admits he does not have) then he is at the limit of the Pacifica (3500#) BEFORE adding normal boating cargo to the boat and gear to the Pacifica and passengers to van. Since he actually has a tow capacity of 1500#, he is 2000# over his vehicle's actual tow capacity. I'd suggest the Pacifica is not the right vehicle of choice for this boat with a factory tow package and for sure is not the vehicle of choice with after market hitch. FWD is also not a good choice because of wet and slippery boat Ramps. I have seen people spin their wheels attempting to retrieve their boat on various boat ramps, some without success and some with serious tire smoke.

A factory tow package for the Pacifica includes: 220 amp alternator, seven and four pin connector, class ll hitch with 2 inch receiver with rating up to 3500# of gross trailer weight and trailer tongue weight of 300#, heavy duty radiator, trailer sway damping/sway control. The $995 MSRP cost for this is well worth the spend IF you have any inclination of towing something.

Also, if you install an after market hitch and exceed more than your owner's manual states you can tow (1500 pounds) and then require warranty work due on the engine overheating or some other issue that can be traced to towing, I suspect Chrysler will void the warranty. Just saying.
Oh lord am I so sick of these responses. WE'VE BEEN OVER THIS. The 1500 tow capacity is a simple scam. Even if I put in every single OEM part found in the factory tow package into my Pacifica, technically, it still would be rated for 1500 because it wasn't done at the factory and accounted for in my VIN. Do you understand how absurd that is? There is no basis, from an engineering standpoint, as to why you can't put on an aftermarket receiver with electronic brakes and call it day. If you want to fall victim to their ridiculous scam of an attempt to get people to buy their tow package, go ahead. But leave the rest of us, who've proven countless times that it can tow up to the 3500# tow capacity with aftermarket parts, alone.

just want to throw the actual tow numbers from the manual out there sine I frequently see them put out there wrong. If you have the factory tow package it’s 3,600 lbs, and 360 lbs tongue.
You know the interesting thing about the phrase "Factory tow package", it doesn't actually say factory installed at all, instead, it reads "Tow package" under the chart indicating what the weight requirement is. Dealer installed? Aftermarket tow package? Has anyone stopped to consider they figure tow package means receiver with electronic breaks? Without the brakes and just a receiver wouldn't be a package and therefore should only tow 1500#? Either way, my above point stands, even after installed OEM parts added with the factory tow package it still isn't considered factory installed and is therefore limited to 1500#, which goes to show the ridiculousness of this claim.

As well I want anyone reading this thread to also consider how contradictory it is that we make arguments about engineers setting specific ratings for a reason etc, and then turn around and claim we need to not go within 80% of that to take hills, wind, and whatever else into account. What!? So we have to trust the engineers when it comes to aftermarket hitches but we don't think they took hills and wind into account when they set the rating for 3500#?!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Oh lord am I so sick of these responses. WE'VE BEEN OVER THIS. The 1500 tow capacity is a simple scam. Even if I put in every single OEM part found in the factory tow package into my Pacifica, technically, it still would be rated for 1500 because it wasn't done at the factory and accounted for in my VIN. Do you understand how absurd that is? ...
Thanks, I completely agree. Chrysler has to warrant the components under the most extreme use case possible as well as defend themselves against potential lawsuits. I have towed over 1/4 million miles so far with trailers as heavy as 62,000 pounds, and the Pacifica feels just fine towing my boat. I traded it on electric car, so I needed something else to tow my boat with. The 2004 expedition is rated for 7000 pounds and isn't as confident with my boat as my Pacifica was. It's a little better at boat ramps because of the increased weight, but it certainly doesn't drive better. No complaints with the Expy, it's functioning as designed… But the Pacifica does a great job with this much weight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tom - Nice to see another fellow MPLS guy on the forum! We picked up a 2018 Pacifica this fall and just put on the class III Draw-Tite Hitch w/ a 4-pin wiring harness. (https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer_Hitch/Draw~Tite/76046.html) We have the Touring L version and so far love it. Only used it to haul bikes though on our bike rack. My dad is dropping off his boat for us to store/let us borrow at the end of July. Looks like according to the Lund website it would be roughly 2559 w/ trailer. Do you see any issues with us hauling and putting it in the lakes around south metro? I doubt we would go that far and only big hills would be in our neighborhood most likely. Mainly keep an eye on engine and trans temp right? We normally haul it with his truck so never had to worry about that stuff! Figure when he drops it off i'll haul it to a lake with him to do a couple test launches.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Tom - Nice to see another fellow MPLS guy on the forum! We picked up a 2018 Pacifica this fall and just put on the class III Draw-Tite Hitch w/ a 4-pin wiring harness. (https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer_Hitch/Draw~Tite/76046.html) We have the Touring L version and so far love it. Only used it to haul bikes though on our bike rack. My dad is dropping off his boat for us to store/let us borrow at the end of July. Looks like according to the Lund website it would be roughly 2559 w/ trailer. Do you see any issues with us hauling and putting it in the lakes around south metro? I doubt we would go that far and only big hills would be in our neighborhood most likely. Mainly keep an eye on engine and trans temp right? We normally haul it with his truck so never had to worry about that stuff! Figure when he drops it off i'll haul it to a lake with him to do a couple test launches.
Glad to see I'm not alone up here in the frozen north. 🥶😁

My fiberglass boat is a bit heavier than yours, and my van had no trouble with it. It was even more confident towing than the Expedition I replaced it with is, and I don't trouble with the factory cooling. Use the included gauge screen in your instrument cluster to keep an eye on things and you should be fine. I live up in Isanti, and use my Pacifica more than a few times drag it all the way down to Minnetonka. After my experience I would be very confident towing your boat with a Pacifica.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad to see I'm not alone up here in the frozen north. 🥶😁

My fiberglass boat is a bit heavier than yours, and my van had no trouble with it. It was even more confident towing than the Expedition I replaced it with is, and I don't trouble with the factory cooling. Use the included gauge screen in your instrument cluster to keep an eye on things and you should be fine. I live up in Isanti, and use my Pacifica more than a few times drag it all the way down to Minnetonka. After my experience I would be very confident towing your boat with a Pacifica.
Perfect! Thanks for the quick reply! Haha you are way up there! We are down in Burnsville so most should be 10-15 miles is the furthest we would go!

41 - 47 of 47 Posts