2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Touring something or other, don't really know. Anyway, it came with a factory tow package.

I recently drove it over 1600 miles to Michigan averaging about 28mpg.

While there I purchased a 5x8 enclosed cargo trailer. It is not full height. but does sit taller than the van by around 10" and due to curvature of the van the top corners stick out around 16" or so.

The trailer weight was about 700lbs and tongue weight empty probably 30lbs. I put about 300-400lbs of stuff in for the return trip home. So I'm figuring maybe 1000-1200lb with about 200 lb tongue weight.

The trailer seemed to pull well, but I was unhappy that it couldn't maintain a gear at 70mph, it would take forever to shift to a cruising gear, but couldn't hold the gear, it would lose speed and the cruise control would force it to downshift to catch up. Rinse repeat 100 times. I really thought the computer would learn and choose a gear where it could cruise without constantly shifting. Never happened. I tried putting the shifter in L but the strategy is far too aggressive and I'm not about to drive from Canada to Mexico at 4000rpm. No option to manually select a gear. (FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING CHRYSLER PLEASE ADD THAT FEATURE)

I was getting about 11-12mpg at 70mph...slowing to 65mph only got me up to about 14mpg, and 60mph got to about 18-19mpg, but with a 28 hour drive nobody and stomach such a slow speed. I would literally fall asleep at 60mph.

I was surprised that the engine and trans did a good job staying cool. In fact, I noticed my trans was hotter sitting at the fuel stations than cruising on the highway.

Probably should be happy, but I'm used to making that trip in my Ford F350 6.7L diesel and getting 25mpg empty and 14mpg with a trailer and a combined weight of 25,900 lbs. Yes, I understand its a diesel and was built for towing, but I really expected better low-end torque and fuel mileage from my Pacifica. Just doesn't seem to be enough power down low to get the mileage it could get

Has anyone tried tuning their PCM for more power or better towing, towing shift points? I'm really considering trying to find a tuner that lets me alter stuff like shift points and cruise control behavior.

I really expected better tow performance. I know it's not a vehicle built for towing, but still expected more.

·
Registered
873 Posts
It all sounds normal to me. I pulled a similar trailer with a Sienna and got similar mileage. They are all optimized for typical usage (no trailer). The fact that all ran cool is a big thing in the + category. You are unlikely to outthink that transmission.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The difference is probably smaller for the F350 because it's a really un-aerodynamic vehicle as it is, so adding a trailer makes less of a difference than when adding it to a more aerodynamic vehicle. Read about what happens to the range of a Tesla when towing, it goes down by a factor of several. Because they are so intrinsically aerodynamic, adding a trailer makes an enormous difference,

·
Registered
165 Posts
Interesting, I get 18-20 towing my popup trailer which is closer to 3000 lbs. I never go above 68 miles per hour, even if the speed limit is 70 or more. But based on your post it seems like you get similar results. Air resistance is an exponential relationship. 60 mph has 4 times the air resistance as 30 mph as an example.

Overall I have been very happy with my towing experience, I find it has more then enough power at highway speeds.

I now have a Ram 2500 diesel, but have not towed with it yet. I was not expecting to get as good gas mileage as the van does.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts