2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the trailer tow package I am certain that brakes are required over maybe 1500 lbs.
Is there an option for brake controller?
There are 4 and 7 pin sockets, but is there at least the wiring for the brakes and a harness for the Tekonsha P3 I already own?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Pin 4 on the Pacifica Trailer Tow Package 7 pin connector is labeled Electric Brakes

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
There is no brake controller installed, but there is a plug for one under the dash. You should be able to use your P3, but you'll need to get the right wire harness for it.

Personally, I'd rather go with a wireless controller and only use it when needed.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have several tow vehicles and got tired of having each car hardwired, so I just bought a RF wireless controller, mounts to my camper and worked flawlessly last weekend, so I can just use the remote in what ever car I decide to take.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since I already have the P3 and the wiring is in the towing package and I have one Scamp 16' trailer and one tow vehicle it will work for me.
Currently I use my 2013 VW TDI Jetta Sportwagen for towing, but I will be letting VW buy it back at the end of the year.
This is why I am looking at the Pacifica for a replacement.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have a Prodigy P2 controller installed on my Pacifica with factory tow package. Tekonsha sells a plug & play connector for the Chrysler trailer wiring connector. It is the same style plug as used on the Durrango & Grand Cherokee with factory tow. I fabricated a mount for the controller out of luan wood, painted black & attached it below the hood latch left of the knee bolster air bag. Used a few of the push pin holes from a small trim cover under the dash which I removed permanently since it not visible to attach the wood mount. With the blue lighting, it blends super nice with the dash with a factory look.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have a Prodigy P2 controller installed on my Pacifica with factory tow package. Tekonsha sells a plug & play connector for the Chrysler trailer wiring connector. It is the same style plug as used on the Durrango & Grand Cherokee with factory tow. I fabricated a mount for the controller out of luan wood, painted black & attached it below the hood latch left of the knee bolster air bag. Used a few of the push pin holes from a small trim cover under the dash which I removed permanently since it not visible to attach the wood mount. With the blue lighting, it blends super nice with the dash with a factory look.
So it was plug and play? I have a Prodigy P2 or P3 and maybe if it's easy, I would do the hard wire!

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
So it was plug and play? I have a Prodigy P2 or P3 and maybe if it's easy, I would do the hard wire!
Why bother if you already have the wireless controller? Even if the wiring is plug and play, you would still have to mount the Prodigy somewhere.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Brake Controller

Has anybody installed a brake controller? While my 2017 Pacifica has a factory installed hitch it did not come with a brake controller. Here in CA the tow limit without a brake controller is 1500# and I will be towing around 3000#.

All the lighting features such as turn, brake, running lights came wired and working at the hitch end, nothing was needed to do. But a brake controller needs to be accessed and adjusted from the driver seat and there is no reference to that.

I would hope that Chrysler has a brake controller or recommended option and that it plugs into a harness under the dash as all the other tow wiring is already in place. I asked several dealers and used the 'Assist' feature (technician looks in manual but finds nothing). Several days have passed without any answers. I have used U-Haul to install in the past and am sure they can do the job but it would mean cobbled up wiring and potential warranty issues.

Thx:confused:

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
Hi kshermy, welcome to the forum! I've merged your thread into this one that cue003 referenced.

·
Registered
198 Posts
For my trailer brake setup, I used the Tekonsha to Mopar wiring plug adapter (part #3045-P from Etrailer) & a Tekonsha brake controller. The factory tow harness plug connector is attached with a black plastic clip to a wiring loom near & up above where the steering column goes through the firewall. The factory plug comes with a bright green male plug end with no wires in it snapped in the female part of the plug. The male part needs to be taken out to connect the Tekonsha adapter's male plug. It is really tight quarters to reach in and work in. See my earlier posts for controller mounting options in the Pacifica. The knee bolster air bag occupies nearly all the space under the dash so be safe and disable the airbag while your working under there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry I missed the existing controller discussion when I first posted but was delighted to find your
solution to my problem.

Thanks for the comprehensive description of the parts required and the installation issues. I had looked for the connector and failed. Certainly appears I could have caused myself some grief under the dashboard. I expected to install this myself but with the airbag issue I think I will just get the parts and let the dealer do it.

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
I expected to install this myself but with the airbag issue I think I will just get the parts and let the dealer do it.
If you're going to pay the dealer for an install, it may not be that much more expensive to just go with a wireless brake controller.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nails1 - Are you describing a 2017 Pacifica? What I see is a U-jointed steering column pretty much exiting engine side out near floor level. Actually nice tidy wiring and tons of room as under dashboard goes. Makes me want to just plug in the harness, but alas, no mating connector in sight.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
generaltso - Wireless would make locating and removing the controller very convenient and I'm all for that. But I still need to plug in a wireless dongle to my control wiring harness and my immediate problem seems to be locating that under the dash plug. Thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
I am going from memory here. I installed my brake controller in my Pacifica last August. I recall the plug being left of the steering column, maybe close to the brake switch & up about 6-8 inches. The factory plug is not dangling down. It is clipped to a bundle of wires encased with black mesh wiring loom. I will check to see if I have any photos.

·
Registered
198 Posts
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/124257-Pacifica-Trailer-Tow-Group?referrerid=15344

Check out my thread from another forum. Correction to my prior post. The area to find the factory plug is 6 inches above the OBDII port.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts