2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
generaltso - Wireless would make locating and removing the controller very convenient and I'm all for that. But I still need to plug in a wireless dongle to my control wiring harness and my immediate problem seems to be locating that under the dash plug. Thanks
No, you wouldn't. That's the whole point. This is the one that I've used:

https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-90250-Prodigy-Electronic-Control/dp/B001P0ZA86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483984025&sr=8-1&keywords=rf+brake+controller

·
Registered
742 Posts
I am going from memory here. I installed my brake controller in my Pacifica last August. I recall the plug being left of the steering column, maybe close to the brake switch & up about 6-8 inches. The factory plug is not dangling down. It is clipped to a bundle of wires encased with black mesh wiring loom. I will check to see if I have any photos.
So Chrysler actually has a plug for a brake controller?

·
Registered
19 Posts
OK, now I see the beauty of this approach, especially for someone with multiple trailers and or tow vehicles. I didn't realize it would use the existing factory 7 pin plug at my hitch. I may go this way just because I want to haul my trailer to Burning Man again this year and would rather not take my Pacifica. Thanks for the follow up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tekonsha Part Number

I have a Prodigy P2 controller installed on my Pacifica with factory tow package. Tekonsha sells a plug & play connector for the Chrysler trailer wiring connector. It is the same style plug as used on the Durrango & Grand Cherokee with factory tow. I fabricated a mount for the controller out of luan wood, painted black & attached it below the hood latch left of the knee bolster air bag. Used a few of the push pin holes from a small trim cover under the dash which I removed permanently since it not visible to attach the wood mount. With the blue lighting, it blends super nice with the dash with a factory look.
What is the Tekonsha part number? I've tried 3045 and 3021 and they don't fit. I've ordered 3024 now, is that correct? Picture of connector I found under the dash.

Attachments

·
Registered
742 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Damoncaravanman: Since you installed the Tekonsha adapter more recently than I, was there a "lime green" or "white" male plug blank clicked into the end of either the factory brake controller plug or Tekonsha plug that needed to removed first before plugging in the Tekonsha adaptor? I vaguely remember something like that but I did my install 10 months ago. If so, that may explain why Tblanch had trouble getting the plugs to click together if the blank was still in place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
http://pacificaforums.com/showthread.php/124257-Pacifica-Trailer-Tow-Group?referrerid=15344

Check out my thread from another forum. Correction to my prior post. The area to find the factory plug is 6 inches above the OBDII port.
The link is not working....

·
Registered
2 Posts
For my trailer brake setup, I used the Tekonsha to Mopar wiring plug adapter (part #3045-P from Etrailer) & a Tekonsha brake controller. The factory tow harness plug connector is attached with a black plastic clip to a wiring loom near & up above where the steering column goes through the firewall. The factory plug comes with a bright green male plug end with no wires in it snapped in the female part of the plug. The male part needs to be taken out to connect the Tekonsha adapter's male plug. It is really tight quarters to reach in and work in. See my earlier posts for controller mounting options in the Pacifica. The knee bolster air bag occupies nearly all the space under the dash so be safe and disable the airbag while your working under there.
Nails, can you please give some direction on disabling the airbag system? I am going to try hoon up the prodigy 2 on my pacifica. Thanks.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Nails, can you please give some direction on disabling the airbag system? I am going to try hoon up the prodigy 2 on my pacifica. Thanks.
My suggestion is to pull the fuse for it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Without the trailer tow package most new cars today are wired to a plug somewhere (like a wheel well) to connect a brake wiring connection for at least the rear lights. Since wireless trailer braking systems are now popular, most have omitted these wires, especially due to the larger wires for higher currents but continue to have a connector or lights. Does the Pacifica have such a connector, and if so where is it?

·
Registered
194 Posts
FYI, the link to my 2016 Chryslerminivans.net post is not a hot link, it is old school copy & paste into a new browser window.

I agree about pulling the fuse and/or disconnect negative battery cable. May also want to wait for a while to allow any air bag capacitors to discharge.

I choose to mount controller left of knee bolster airbag below hood release lever. Using the controller left handed won out over right because that was only spot below dash clear of the bag. Drilling holes into lower dash plastic bezel was not something I was willing to do. I quickly got used to left hand operation & I never come close to hitting it with my knee or leg.

If you have factory tow package, the oem brake controller connector is attached to a wiring loom under the dash 4-6 inches or so above the obd port along the firewall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trying to connect p3 brake controller on oem tow package, has anyone figured out how to plug the harness in under the dash? I've read the previous posts, that it's plug and play, but can't seem to find the plug the harness goes in to. Are there pics available, or a video of an install? Thanks

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yes, it is there. You can pull up the factory trailer brake wiring loom installation instructions from the mopar accessories site. It states the trailer brake connector is near the BCM module (left side of driver footwell under dash). See figures 68 through 71 of factory instructions. The brake connector is zip tied or clipped to other wiring so you won't see it dangling. Just get a good light and look carefully.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Yes, it is there. You can pull up the factory trailer brake wiring loom installation instructions from the mopar accessories site. It states the trailer brake connector is near the BCM module (left side of driver footwell under dash). See figures 68 through 71 of factory instructions. The brake connector is zip tied or clipped to other wiring so you won't see it dangling. Just get a good light and look carefully.
Nails........ Sorry I never saw that other post asking about the lime green wire, it has been so long I do not remember. Do you have a link to the above mentioned accessories site?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would love to see this harness issue handled. I also have a factory installed tow package and got a lot of blank stares when asking for a compatible brake control solution. I also looked hard under the dash and couldn't find the connector. Needing a quick solution I bought both a Tekonsha wireless controller (which works very well) and the recommended under dash harness for a back up. I gave that harness to my dealer McKevitt Chrysler in Berkeley at my recent 8K service but they failed to find the mating connector.

I trust that this connector exists, and despite the hints already given it seems to be very well hidden. If anyone (hint, hint Nails1) has a good picture of the location it would be much appreciated and perhaps put this months long issue to bed.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
About this Discussion
60 Replies
23 Participants
Van Go
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing