2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Pacifica with about 60k miles on it. When I place it in park it rolls a little before it stops,is this normal?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have a 2017 Pacifica with about 60k miles on it. When I place it in park it rolls a little before it stops,is this normal?
I have not experienced that. In the settings, I set my parking brake to be set automatically when stopping the engine. I don't know if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Completely normal. All cars will do this to some degree - some more than others. You should set the car to automatically set the parking brake when put in Park. It will automatically disengage as well, so long as your seatbelt is buckled and you apply reasonably firm pressure to the brake. Putting the car only in park without the parking brake won’t hold the car on a sufficiently steep grade, and it can start to roll away. Using the parking brake as a habit is the best practice.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Completely normal. All cars will do this to some degree - some more than others. You should set the car to automatically set the parking brake when put in Park. It will automatically disengage as well, so long as your seatbelt is buckled and you apply reasonably firm pressure to the brake. Putting the car only in park without the parking brake won’t hold the car on a sufficiently steep grade, and it can start to roll away. Using the parking brake as a habit is the best practice.
Mine doesn't disengage automatically. Is there a separate setting for this?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mine doesn't disengage automatically. Is there a separate setting for this?
If the auto parking brake feature is enabled in vehicle settings, the parking brake is supposed to apply anytime the vehicle is placed into park. Conversely, anytime the vehicle is moved from Park to Drive (or Reverse) the auto park brake disengages. Again, this in the vehicle settings in the touchscreen.

That said, my car has sporadic problems with the auto park brake not acting in an "auto" fashion. It won't automatically disengage sometimes. The dealer said this is working as designed, despite it being opposite of how the owners manual states. They first tried to "fix" my problem by simply turning off the auto park brake feature in the touchscreen.

·
Registered
814 Posts
First, your seatbelt has to be fastened.
Then, check you settings on the screen when parked. The auto emergency release can be programmed.
If it goes on automatically but not off, I'm betting you are not buckled.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Then, check you settings on the screen when parked. The auto emergency release can be programmed.
You would win that bet my friend. I have a bad habit of backing out, then I pull on the belt as I drive away.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mine is just defective. Bucked or not, door closed or not - each time it's a guessing game!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Mine is just defective. Bucked or not, door closed or not - each time it's a guessing game!
The other thing to notice (after seat belt is fastened) is how fast you are turning the knob. I have found that moving the knob more slowly usually releases the parking brake about the "R" setting even if I am moving the knob toward the "D".

·
Registered
125 Posts
The other thing to notice (after seat belt is fastened) is how fast you are turning the knob. I have found that moving the knob more slowly usually releases the parking brake about the "R" setting even if I am moving the knob toward the "D".
I'll try it s-l-o-w-l-y next time, but also was reminded of a bit of Chrysler folklore. A friend of ours has some extend family working on the line building Chrysler transmissions, and we told them about this problem. They were irate that Chrysler would treat it's customers the way we had been treated, but also said that they thought it was a safety feature of the van that if the wheel was turned ever too much to the left or right, it would disable the auto park brake release. Supposedly the safety aspect was to prevent you from putting it in D or R and take off at an angle. I don't think that's true at all. And I can't necessarily see it as a feature or even a safety feature.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'll try it s-l-o-w-l-y next time, but also was reminded of a bit of Chrysler folklore. A friend of ours has some extend family working on the line building Chrysler transmissions, and we told them about this problem. They were irate that Chrysler would treat it's customers the way we had been treated, but also said that they thought it was a safety feature of the van that if the wheel was turned ever too much to the left or right, it would disable the auto park brake release. Supposedly the safety aspect was to prevent you from putting it in D or R and take off at an angle. I don't think that's true at all. And I can't necessarily see it as a feature or even a safety feature.
Yeah, that sounds like baloney to me. I have a 2018 with ESS, and there is also a minimum amount of pressure on the brake pedal required to release the parking brake. The ESS cars have some type of pressure sensor in the brake circuit, with a little practice you can control ESS activation at stoplights. But I digress. Looks like you have an early build 2017 so perhaps this is not present on your van. But try switching out of park while applying very firm pressure to the brake pedal and see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 2018 Limited does the same thing. It's a little disconcerting. Glad to know it's normal. I was wondering about that. And good to know about the auto parking brake. I didn't know that & will turn it on.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
You would win that bet my friend. I have a bad habit of backing out, then I pull on the belt as I drive away.
I do exactly that too. Something about driving away triggers a sense of distress that causes me to grab the belt a click it. Similarly, I zip my fly as I exit the Men's Room! :grin2:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah, that sounds like baloney to me. I have a 2018 with ESS, and there is also a minimum amount of pressure on the brake pedal required to release the parking brake. The ESS cars have some type of pressure sensor in the brake circuit, with a little practice you can control ESS activation at stoplights. But I digress. Looks like you have an early build 2017 so perhaps this is not present on your van. But try switching out of park while applying very firm pressure to the brake pedal and see if that makes any difference.

Yup. The 2017s that were built in mid 2016 did not come with ESS. I initially was sad after I found this out, believing that there could be some gas savings from sitting in stop-and-go traffic. But from what I've read here, there seem to be some frustrations with it. I've driven some cars with ESS and I can't say I love the feeling of a small lag in accelerating from a light, the shudder of an engine starting multiple times as I'm stopping and starting at lights. But I've never experienced the Pacifica's ESS, and I do believe that every manufacturer does it differently.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts