2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hood on my Pacifica PHEV gets warm when charging. Is that normal? The car seems to heat up the entire garage, which is already hot on a Carolina Summer evening.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Assuming the overall charging losses between the charger and battery are 15% then with a level 2 charger the loss will be about 1kw - about the same as a portable electric heater. Battery cooling system probably moves this heat to the engine compartment.

A simple experiment would be to try the supplied level 1 charger, it would reduce the heating by a factor of six.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have used both. My 15 amp 220 volt level 2 charger fried the wall socket last week. So, I went back to the level 1 that came with the vehicle, plugged into a standard 110. It too gets warm and the car seems to be just as warm as with the level 1. Both the level 1 and the level 2 cords get warm within a few feet of the wall, and the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The actual charger is in the car . The module mounted on the transmission is a PIM and that sends current ot the motors or sends current to battery charger module when regen is on. The actual charger is mounted with the battery. The charger takes AC from the wall and converts it to High voltage DC for charging or takes the voltage from the PIM module generated while braking.
The charging module and battery are liquid cooled to keep temperatures down. The modules and battery will get hot so the circulator pump will push hot fluid to radiator and fan will blow hot air into the hood area.

So its normal to get a hot hood.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Have used both. My 15 amp 220 volt level 2 charger fried the wall socket last week. So, I went back to the level 1 that came with the vehicle, plugged into a standard 110. It too gets warm and the car seems to be just as warm as with the level 1. Both the level 1 and the level 2 cords get warm within a few feet of the wall, and the car.
If the level 2 wall socket fried and the level one outlet gets warm the wiring to the sockets and possibly the sockets are not rated for the number of amps required for the chargers needs. Improper wiring, sockets, and breakers for the application = fire hazard.

I have not had any problems with my level 1 or 2 chargers getting warm. But then again, I paid a licensed electrician that has installed many EV chargers (mainly Tesla) to run new lines, outlets, and a breaker for mine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
ThisSuckersElectrical
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing