2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was blindsided when I called to renew my annual uconnect subscription that my old plan had been phased out with 3G. Now I have to get a new monthly plan that requires an adapter and comes with wifi.

I honestly don't care about the wifi since everyone in my family already has phones with unlimited Verizon data, but there is no mention in the marketing and literature whether the adapter is actually necessary for Uconnect to work (or GPS), or if it's only necessary to get access to the wifi.

Also, does the adapter, assuming it's necessary or you want the wifi, have to live permanently in the OBD-II port? Does it just hang there and dangle around? I mean, it must if it's functioning as the access point for wifi, but that seems a low-brow way of upgrading the system. Seems like it should be mounted somewhere with an added, dedicated port.

Anyone who's gone through this, can you comment on if the adapter is truly needed other than for a wifi access point?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited
27 Posts
Take a look at my recent thread:

uConnect for 2017 Pacifica

When I signed up my uConnect app worked as soon as they activated my account. I received my 4G adapter about a week later. So, I don't think the 4G adapter is required. However, if 3G is decommissioned then the 4G adapter is probably going to be required.

I plugged the 4G adapter into my OBD2 port under the dash on the driver's side and it has been there for several weeks now. It does stick down below the dash which worried me at first but it doesn't seem to be in any danger of being kicked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Wes. 3G is definitely on the way out, so if the entire Uconnect system functions on wireless networks, then the adapter will be necessary. Heck, I thought it functioned directly off of satellite though.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The navigation does not require a UConnect subscription. That subscription only applies to the other features like the remote lock/unlock/starting from your phone, send & go with the nav and vehicle location.

·
Registered
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited
27 Posts
The navigation does not require a UConnect subscription. That subscription only applies to the other features like the remote lock/unlock/starting from your phone, send & go with the nav and vehicle location.
True.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts