2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Recently i was out camping with my family and wanted to use the hotspot with my uconnect outside of the pacifica, maybe 10 feet away or less. However, the Wifi range for the hotspot only appears to be within the car? anyway to locate the wifi antenna so maybe i could change it to something that has a bigger radius?

·
Registered
172 Posts
This is probably not a very satisfying answer (and it's 5 months after you asked the question, so your summer trips are behind you), but you can take most any half-way decent home WiFi router and configure it to be a WiFi relay. Plug it into the 120v outlet, or power it externally at your camp site. Place it in the car, and it will relay it a normal distance. Configure it to join the UConnect network and then extend that network. Because 4G speeds are not super fast, you should be able to get a used WiFi AP for pretty cheap that will do the trick.

I use a Verizon Mobile Hotspot that's on my data plan. I get 30 GB of 4G for $20/mo. I just take that wherever I go, and I'm not limited by AT&T and Chrysler's business objectives.

FYI: There are ways to tune RF so that you limit the range while actually improving the signal where you want it, and it sounds like this is what Chrysler did. I'm sure they did this (in part) so that you wouldn't use your car's unlimited 4G as your home Internet service.

Out of curiosity, does the WiFi remain active for more than 15 minutes after the car is turned off?

·
Registered
594 Posts
FYI: There are ways to tune RF so that you limit the range while actually improving the signal where you want it, and it sounds like this is what Chrysler did. I'm sure they did this (in part) so that you wouldn't use your car's unlimited 4G as your home Internet service.
The hotspot in the vehicle is 5ghz only, which also limits the range by a great deal. It’s likely very low powered by design as you stated to keep usage limited to the inside of the vehicle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts