2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had similar issues with the naming of files for the UConnect display. I realized (at least in my case) that it had to do with the metadata associated with the file. As in, I could name the file whatever I want, but the title that was in the metadata was the one being displayed on UConnect. In the case of some files where there was no title in the metadata, it showed up as "title 01" or "Chapter 1." Once I edited the metadata, everything showed up exactly like I wanted on the UConnect movie selection window.
Had the same problem and ended up with a bunch of "Chapter 1"'s showing up on UConnect. I used the free Subler app on Mac OSX to fix up the metadata. Worked great.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Had the same problem and ended up with a bunch of "Chapter 1"'s showing up on UConnect. I used the free Subler app on Mac OSX to fix up the metadata. Worked great.
I'm on Windows 10, so I used MKVToolNIX. Pretty useful tool.

·
Super Moderator
730 Posts
No special program is required to change metadata on windows computers. All you have to do is right click the file, open properties go to details and change the "title" under description. That will change the metadata. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
No special program is required to change metadata on windows computers. All you have to do is right click the file, open properties go to details and change the "title" under description. That will change the metadata. Hope that helps.
Is that for mkv and mp4? I haven't tried using mp4, but on any of my mkv I was unable to edit any information under description.

I am willing to concede that it was operator error on my part. I'll check it out again when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just tried editing metadata on the mkv and was unable to do it from description. Converted an mp4 and WAS able to edit metadata from the description.

So--at least in my experience and in my operating environment--with mkv, you DO need a program like the one I mentioned to edit metadata after initial conversion.

·
Super Moderator
730 Posts
Just tried editing metadata on the mkv and was unable to do it from description. Converted an mp4 and WAS able to edit metadata from the description.

So--at least in my experience and in my operating environment--with mkv, you DO need a program like the one I mentioned to edit metadata after initial conversion.
That makes sense since mkv is only a container. I only tried it after converting to mp4. Thanks for the information.

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
Do videos on USB have to have a screen width of exactly 1200 to be readable by Uconnect or do they just have to be no more than 1200? For example, if I'm converting something that's already SD (640x480), will it work or do I need to adjust the screen width to 1200?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I believe that should be fine as many of the videos I've converted from standard DVDs using Handbrake are less than that, and they all work fine.

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
Cool, then I should be able to rip kids shows right off the TiVo since they're already all in SD. Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
USB Drive for Uconnect Theater

I am having a very hard time getting any thumb drives to work with my Uconnect theater. I'd like to be able to play videos for my kids on the seatback screens from the USB, but none that I have tried have worked.

Could anyone who has had success please post what hardware you're using? Brand/Model/Size/Formatting would be great to know, if you could tell me.

·
Super Moderator
730 Posts
I am having a very hard time getting any thumb drives to work with my Uconnect theater. I'd like to be able to play videos for my kids on the seatback screens from the USB, but none that I have tried have worked.

Could anyone who has had success please post what hardware you're using? Brand/Model/Size/Formatting would be great to know, if you could tell me.

Hi builttwospill. I moved your thread to electronics and then merged it with another thread that has a lot of answers to common unconnect usb questions. I'll try to help you but if my suggestion doesn't work I would read through this thread to see if you find your answer. If not others will chime in on your post.

I'm going to take a guess and say that you are plugging the usb drive into one of the ports that is located next to one of the screens. I was never able to get any of my drives to get recognized there. There is a port on the lower center stack that says rear usb. That is the one that needs to be used to play movies on the rear screens. It will definitely recognize your drive from that port. Getting movies to play is a different story and some useful steps are outlined in this thread. Hope I was of some help and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
50 Posts

I have used a Samsung 128GB and a PNY 32GB, both formatted w/FAT32. Assuming everything is working correctly in your UConnect system and everything is connected where it should be, it sounds like you're having file format/size issues. This thread is full of info on how to take care of that. You could let us know what you're trying and we could see if we could help?

I'm going to take a guess and say that you are plugging the usb drive into one of the ports that is located next to one of the screens. I was never able to get any of my drives to get recognized there.
These ports only provide charging power. They say USB on them, but if you look carefully, the box around the letters is actually in the shape of a battery. This is how I understand it to be.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
730 Posts
I have used a Samsung 128GB and a PNY 32GB, both formatted w/FAT32. Assuming everything is working correctly in your UConnect system and everything is connected where it should be, it sounds like you're having file format/size issues. This thread is full of info on how to take care of that. You could let us know what you're trying and we could see if we could help?

These ports only provide charging power. They say USB on them, but if you look carefully, the box around the letters is actually in the shape of a battery. This is how I understand it to be.
Thanks for including pictures. I'm pretty sure he's not pluging the drive into the proper USB port. That's why I recommended using the one on the center stack that says rear. You're Pics help give visual to the explanation.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for including pictures. I'm pretty sure he's not pluging the drive into the proper USB port. That's why I recommended using the one on the center stack that says rear. You're Pics help give visual to the explanation.
I have been using the one in the center stack that says rear. My thumb drive is formatted NTFS, though, so maybe that is the issue. I'll go with Fat32 and see if that helps. I was under the impression that NTFS was working with larger drives. I also have a 32gb sized drive, which is the largest the manufacturer officially supports with the stereo, so I'll try that too.

Does anyone know if USB3.0 vs USB2.0 has any bearing? Of course usb 3 should be backwards compatible, but maybe that's my problem.

·
Super Moderator
730 Posts
I have been using the one in the center stack that says rear. My thumb drive is formatted NTFS, though, so maybe that is the issue. I'll go with Fat32 and see if that helps. I was under the impression that NTFS was working with larger drives. I also have a 32gb sized drive, which is the largest the manufacturer officially supports with the stereo, so I'll try that too.

Does anyone know if USB3.0 vs USB2.0 has any bearing? Of course usb 3 should be backwards compatible, but maybe that's my problem.
I'm using USB 3.0 with no issues. Might try formatting the drive to fat32 first and see if that fixes the issue. Drive size is not an issue as someone posted that they are using a 128 GB drive. Report back after the formatting. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

Ah! Thanks for the pics and pointing out the battery symbol vs the full USB symbol. I really should look more closely at things.

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
I was expecting to run into all kinds of problems getting video to play from USB after reading through this thread. I had a low profile 128GB flash drive formatted with FAT32 that I copied a bunch of kids shows from my TiVo in mp4 format. I plugged the drive in, and low and behold all of the shows are selectable and play just fine. I guess it's safe to move forward now and see how many I can fit on 128GB :)

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
Has anyone tried using the HDMI hookup to play movies from their phone or tablet?
Yeah, it works fine with an iPhone using an Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter.

21 - 40 of 133 Posts