2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

41 - 60 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Really hoping someone might be able to help me. I have read this thread over and over carefully and can't figure out why I can't get my USB to play movies on the Uconnect in my 2017 Pacifica. I have attached pictures of EVERYTHING I could think of to show you what I am doing, but here is a summary:
-I am using a PNY 32GB USB drive
-I am formatting it as FAT32
-I am using Handbrake to encode movie to MP4 format (see image for all the main screens on Handbrake that shows the settings I am using). (note: I have tried MP4 and M4V... the images attached are the settings for the MP4. Also, encoded videos play just fine on PC after they complete. Complete files are coming back under 800mb)
-I am inserting the USB drive in the front USB port
-The Uconnect screen says "FILES NOT SUPPORTED" every time.
See all supporting pictures here.
Can anyone help? This is driving me crazy! I have tried it with several movies, and all of them give me the same result. Each time it takes 30+ minutes to encode and I'm getting no where fast. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Thank you in advance!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
Really hoping someone might be able to help me.
The problem is in your 6th pic. You have the drive plugged into the wrong USB port. The USB port below that on the Blu-ray player is the only one that can play video files. Try that and report back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OH GEEZ!!! I feel like such a fool. I thought there was only 1 USB port in the front, and that was the Blu-ray player. Turns out I need to look lower and sure enough there is the other one! Been pulling my hair out and can't believe it was so simple.
Working like a charm now!
Thanks so much for the quick response. ARGH!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Has anyone figured out detailed video file/codec specs for what's supported? I've seen it play 1280x720 H264 files, but haven't found exact specs.

Also, someone mentioned NTFS was required, but clearly FAT32 works.

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
Has anyone figured out detailed video file/codec specs for what's supported? I've seen it play 1280x720 H264 files, but haven't found exact specs.

I don't think there are detailed specs, at least not that I've seen. But I can confirm that FAT32 and NTFS both work for a file system. MP4 and MKV files seem to play fine. I haven't had any issues playing files that are bigger than 2GB as long as the width isn't any larger than 1200.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm using 2 of the Lexar JumpDrive S45 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive, formatted with FAT32. They have a blue light that blinks occasionally, and the USB ports are low enough that the lights aren't a nuisance or distracting. I think it goes well with all the cool lighting on the instrument panel and dash already.

I have music on one for me and the wife. The other has music and MKVs for the kids. All the MKV files however show up as 00:00:00, so not the correct filename. Rather than editing the metadata on every movie before I put it on the jumpdrive, I just create a folder for each movie. Then when I go in to select a movie, the folder names are displayed correctly, which has its movie in it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The problem is in your 6th pic. You have the drive plugged into the wrong USB port. The USB port below that on the Blu-ray player is the only one that can play video files. Try that and report back.
Thanks so much for this info! I had the same problem. My PNY 128G usb with Fat32 and MP4 files works now.

Thanks again..

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
Thanks so much for this info! I had the same problem. My PNY 128G usb with Fat32 and MP4 files works now.
Glad it's working for you. It can get a little confusing with all the USB ports and their different functions.

·
Registered
15 Posts

It'll play avi, mp4 and mkv mpeg
For audio it'll play mp3, I think wav but not any ac3

·
Registered
38 Posts
It'll play avi, mp4 and mkv mpeg
For audio it'll play mp3, I think wav but not any ac3
This is one of those cases where Chrysler frustrates me. Perhaps it'd be possible to get the ChryslerCares folks in the forum to reach out to the relevant teams at FCA and get us a detailed, accurate spec?

To be clear, this is very likely just FFMPEG doing all the decoding in there (it's pretty much the go-to solution nowadays), which means that any file container format would be supported (MKV, AVI, etc.).

The restrictions would stem from two things:

1. They likely didn't spring for any licensed codecs such as AC3/DTS, etc. (the code is included in libavcodec but it isn't a free license)
  2. There are likely some limits put in place depending on CPU power and available RAM. Such limits would affect maximum resolution, file size, etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys, little guidance appreciated. I'm also disappointed at how limited the functionality is built into the Uconnect Theater system. It seems they went cheap or lazy.

Either way, I bought a 128GB Sandisk USB stick. I formatted to NTFS. I have a few cartoons saved to it. The Uconnect System will not read the thumb drive. Says HUB UNSUPPORTED.

I tried a much older USB that's 2GB with these same shows, and they all played with no problems.(I Still have to figure out how to fix the metadata so it shows the actual titles versus chapter 1)

It doesn't appear to be the files themselves, but the new USB stick I bought. anyone got any tricks I ought to try?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys, little guidance appreciated. I'm also disappointed at how limited the functionality is built into the Uconnect Theater system. It seems they went cheap or lazy.

Either way, I bought a 128GB Sandisk USB stick. I formatted to NTFS. I have a few cartoons saved to it. The Uconnect System will not read the thumb drive. Says HUB UNSUPPORTED.

I tried a much older USB that's 2GB with these same shows, and they all played with no problems.(I Still have to figure out how to fix the metadata so it shows the actual titles versus chapter 1)

It doesn't appear to be the files themselves, but the new USB stick I bought. anyone got any tricks I ought to try?
I have spent the last 14 hours converting files and preparing them for my kids. Here is what I have so far. I formatted a 64GB flash card with FAT32 and it worked. The issue is the size limits of the files. FAT32 will only support files less than 2 GB. I formatted it using exFAT and it was not recognizable. I formatted it once again with NTFS using allocation unit size of 4096 bytes and it worked. Ok, I could not get a 5GB file to play and that is where I am at now. I have read that the format needs to be less than 1200 W wide it will work. This particular file is 1280x532 so that may be the case. All my other files smaller than 1280 seem to play now.

I did a test with Wondershare on my PC and changed the resolution from 1080 to 720p and it worked. I am converting all my 1080p videos down to 720 and will try again. Since it was only a demo version of Wondershare, I could not get a full file size. I purchased the full version and I am now converting to the 720 size which has a file size of up to 2.6GB so I will be able to tell if the file size will cause an issue.

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
FAT32 will only support files less than 2 GB
FAT32 actually supports files up to 4GB. Most of the movies I've ripped are over 2GB, but keeping the width less than 1200 also tends to keep the files size below 4GB, so I haven't had any size issues. If your computer is running Windows, you might as well stick with NTFS, but if you run a Mac, FAT32 is much more convenient.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have spent the last 14 hours converting files and preparing them for my kids. Here is what I have so far. I formatted a 64GB flash card with FAT32 and it worked. The issue is the size limits of the files. FAT32 will only support files less than 2 GB. I formatted it using exFAT and it was not recognizable. I formatted it once again with NTFS using allocation unit size of 4096 bytes and it worked. Ok, I could not get a 5GB file to play and that is where I am at now. I have read that the format needs to be less than 1200 W wide it will work. This particular file is 1280x532 so that may be the case. All my other files smaller than 1280 seem to play now.

I did a test with Wondershare on my PC and changed the resolution from 1080 to 720p and it worked. I am converting all my 1080p videos down to 720 and will try again. Since it was only a demo version of Wondershare, I could not get a full file size. I purchased the full version and I am now converting to the 720 size which has a file size of up to 2.6GB so I will be able to tell if the file size will cause an issue.
NTFS Formatting with this USB Stick didn't work. I have Windows 10, which doesn't allow native formatting to FAT32. I ended up downloading an application called Verbatim that allowed me to do it successfully. (found reference to the software on a microsoft troubleshooting thread on formatting. Apparently my post count is too small to link it directly.)

After reformatting to FAT32, I re-loaded the episodes onto the thumb drive and tried again. Still "HUB NOT SUPPORTED" as feedback from the Uconnect system. The files are standard definition, 710x482, so sizing should be an issue, and only 140MB. The thumb drive i've had for 6 years works fine, but is only 2GB. Other than getting yet another USB stick to test with, not sure what to do next to try to troubleshoot this.

I've asked folks at the dealership and at Chrysler's UConnect Theater support, and they just regurgitate what's in the owner's manual, which doesn't count for troubleshooting in my book. The only people with any specific knowledge appear to be here in this forum. It's frustrating because the primary media center supports exFAT formatting. Only the UConnect Theater has this issue with content and format.

·
Super Moderator
2,884 Posts
Still "HUB NOT SUPPORTED" as feedback from the Uconnect system.
There have been a couple other members reporting this issue as well. If I remember correctly, one of them had the issue with USB 3 drives, but didn't have the issue with USB 2 drives. But Uconnect works with USB 3 drives for most of us, so it may be an indication of a hardware issue?

·
Registered
11 Posts
yeah, I've read those comments as well. A couple of people in different threads have this exact USB stick and it's working for them. I'm still in a loaner, so I'm optimistic it is only an issue with this specific van and will work on the one we're picking up this week. Other than that, I guess I would just need to start swapping out thumb drives till I have one that works? With exFAT, NTFS, and FAT32 not working, I don't really have any other options or ideas on where else to try.

Again, as some have referenced, the UConnect Theater system is not a cheap add on. I don't understand the lack of quality customer support or documentation around best practices upon release.

·
Registered
11 Posts
yeah, I've read those comments as well. A couple of people in different threads have this exact USB stick and it's working for them. I'm still in a loaner, so I'm optimistic it is only an issue with this specific van and will work on the one we're picking up this week. Other than that, I guess I would just need to start swapping out thumb drives till I have one that works? With exFAT, NTFS, and FAT32 not working, I don't really have any other options or ideas on where else to try.

Again, as some have referenced, the UConnect Theater system is not a cheap add on. I don't understand the lack of quality customer support or documentation around best practices upon release.
Just wanted to give folks an update on my experience in case this helps anyone else. I ultimately ordered a 64GB USB 2.0 stick (SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 64GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-064G-B35) from Amazon. I formatted to NTFS. It worked perfectly.

Not sure why USB3.0 would work on some but not other vans, but going with a 2.0 USB made all the difference for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
UConnect Screen Resolution is 1280 x 800

A note on video file resolutions: according to Chrysler documentation, the rear UConnect Screens are 1280 x 800, not 1200 x 800. See the FAQ here:
www (dot) driveuconnect (dot) com/faq (FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions about Uconnect® Access)

I have transcoded some full 1080p video files that I have stored on Plex down to 1280 x 720, which preserves the original aspect ratio of the movie, and everything works well. For those UConnect owners that run Plex Media Server, you can use the media optimizer to set the quality to 720p, and your "Mobile Optimized" copies will be converted to use 1280x720 resolution.

I have played multiple video files on UConnect Theater with these options with no issues.

41 - 60 of 133 Posts