2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of angst waiting for the Miracast Streaming update to finally post under my VIN, I was able to download and install the update today in my 2017 Touring L+ with the theater package. The other thread about uconnect updates has great advice on what is needed to get the update installed, so I won't go into those details. What I want to highlight is that Streaming appears to only work with the built-in 3G hotspot in the 2017, which is just too slow and too expensive! Unless I am completely missing it, there is no option to select a wifi network other than that hotspot. I had intended to use the ZTE Mobley that currently provides LTE speeds for the chromecast and all the devices that the family uses in the van, No dice! If anyone has figured out how to use an external hotspot, I would love to hear how you got it done.

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
Isn’t Miracast just for sending video from your phone to the screens? Where does the 3G hotspot come in?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not understand what the implementation was. I was hoping that there was a way to connect to an existing wifi network and not just a direct connect as you have pointed out.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Miracast requires both sending and receiving devices to be on the same wireless network. It has nothing to do with the 3G connection, but rather the van's internal hotspot SSID broadcasted to connect peripheral devices TO the 3G hotspot.

I installed the (now currently missing from download) Uconnect Theater update to enable Miracast streaming tonight. When I enable Wifi in the settings, it promptly turns itself off and never broadcasts either the default nor a chosen custom SSID. Without a broadcasting network, you cannot add a device to approve for streaming...

Something is either not right - which is maybe why the update was pulled? Or maybe they do plan on trying to squeeze the highway robbery 3G subscription charges to make use of the feature?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Miracast requires both sending and receiving devices to be on the same wireless network. It has nothing to do with the 3G connection, but rather the van's internal hotspot SSID broadcasted to connect peripheral devices TO the 3G hotspot.

I installed the (now currently missing from download) Uconnect Theater update to enable Miracast streaming tonight. When I enable Wifi in the settings, it promptly turns itself off and never broadcasts either the default nor a chosen custom SSID. Without a broadcasting network, you cannot add a device to approve for streaming...

Something is either not right - which is maybe why the update was pulled? Or maybe they do plan on trying to squeeze the highway robbery 3G subscription charges to make use of the feature?
Where are you looking? You need to do wifi direct which is different then just looking for wifi like you normal do.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
293 Posts
Where are you looking? You need to do wifi direct which is different then just looking for wifi like you normal do.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Correct. I did not mean the terms to be confused. Miracast uses a blind SSID that is visible from a netsh command line. I am testing with a Windows 10 laptop that connects via Miracast to my Xbox One and Roku devices with no issues.

When I enable Wifi in the Streaming settings of the Uconnect Theater streaming source options, it immediately disables itself.

Reactions: UConnectFan

·
Registered
10 Posts
We might have to wait for another update to get streaming work. Hope they would allow it without 3G subscription. Both shouldn't be linked.

·
Registered
66 Posts
WiFi nonfunctional on 2018 Pacifica

My wife spent 4 hours trying to get the Uconnect theater to play dvds and activate the WiFi. I spent another 4 hours at 2 local dealerships and an hour on the phone with SiriusXM and ATT. CHRYSLER should fully refund the $1595 that I paid for Uconnect system as it only functions as a radio in my car that is only a week old. Unbelievable fraudulent advertising about having WiFi and the ability to stream and play dvds. Amazing how little the dealer knows about the system in a $50k car they are selling.

·
Super Moderator
1,974 Posts
Today I tried 4 different phones and a tablet, from 4 brands, running Android versions from 4 to 7.1. None of them worked. The devices not capable of the 5GHz band didn't see the van at all, the rest ended up with "This device is not Miracast capable" errors.
Fun question: Does the Lemon Law apply to this problem?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm seeing the same thing on my 2018 PACHY that I just took delivery of. It's 5ghz bands only that are being broadcast inside the car. Which, while unfortunate for compatibility with older devices, when you think about the purpose of the 5ghz band, it makes sense. 5ghz is used for higher speeds at shorter ranges and inside the car certainly classifies as that.

So while the 4G LTE streaming works great for my 5ghz devices, I've yet to be able to learn anything about how much it's going to cost in the future or how long my trial is for, etc. I've seen several online sources say it's $20/month but when I follow the activation instructions on the display, it just says not available for my vehicle. But it's clearly working on the trial. Has anyone been able to figure that piece out?

All in all, I'm mostly happy with it for now. Definitely a bummer for the older 2.4ghz devices, though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My wifi streaming worked great for the first week but apparently stopped yesterday or today. I called all the listed numbers for uconnect and ATT before finally being told by ATT that Chrysler and ATT are still working on contracting and the service isn't yet available because of that. Anyone with better luck or direction? Anyone able to recommend when this might get resolved? Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm seeing the same thing on my 2018 PACHY that I just took delivery of. It's 5ghz bands only that are being broadcast inside the car. Which, while unfortunate for compatibility with older devices, when you think about the purpose of the 5ghz band, it makes sense. 5ghz is used for higher speeds at shorter ranges and inside the car certainly classifies as that.
This is an interesting find - and I confirmed on my 2018 TL+ that it is only broadcasting the hotspot on the 5GHz range. That's an interesting decision as I doubt the chipset is 5GHz only and there a multitude of devices out there that would appeal to kids that simply aren't going to be 5GHz capable.

As we're mixing issues here between the Hotspot and casting the screen, a little clarification on the casting to the UConnect Rear screens is likely needed.

To cast to the rear screens (UConnect Theatre), this definitely has nothing to do with the hotspot or streaming. To cast to a UConnect screen, you need to:
- Scroll across to "Streaming" on the UConnect rear screen and select this... 3 instruction steps should appear and I've clarified below
- Turn on Wifi on the PHONE
- Now you can cast from the phone to the UConnect screen (Note: the UConnect screen is really, really confusing as for step 2 on the instructions it states to enable "Wireless Streaming" - in this case it means the casting feature on the PHONE, not the car hotspot streaming......).

On my Samsung device, the casting can be enabled from the drop menu at the top of the screen under "Smart View". It will search for the Pacifica UConnect screen (on mine it was connecting to "Pacifica Right zg") and once selected on the phone and approved on the screen, the casting will start.

On other Android devices, the casting may be under Settings->Display->Cast. Note, that not all phones support casting and some of the more vanilla Android versions are locked to casting to a Chromecast :(

Note, the device that is casting to the rear screen can connect to whatever network it chooses - home wifi, public wifi, 4G phone, Pacifica hotspot (some functionality will be dependent on your device).

Hope this helps a few folks.

John

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have tried to mirror a Windows 10 laptop to the rear UConnect streaming monitor without success. I have enabled the "wireless streaming," but while "connecting," the laptop disconnects. Has anyone experienced this and figured out how to correct it? I am up to date with the Pacifica 2018 Uconnect drivers, and the laptop has miracast enabled.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica limited
2 Posts
I know this is an old post, but I'm wondering if anyone got this working. From what I can tell the miracast app is not compatible with new phones. The built in casting feature does not register the Pacifica Uconnect at all. Anyone figure out a work around? Thanks! Dawn

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L (9/2016 Build)
2,069 Posts
I know this is an old post, but I'm wondering if anyone got this working. From what I can tell the miracast app is not compatible with new phones. The built in casting feature does not register the Pacifica Uconnect at all. Anyone figure out a work around? Thanks! Dawn
Welcome to the forum.
If you put your van info in the signature line of account settings it will show up at the bottom of your posts and will help us answer your questions easier.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi everyone, I bought a 2017 Limited (gas) with Uconnect Theater recently and can't figure out how to get Miracast working. After reading on these forums it seems like the 2017s should be able to do this, but I don't see any settings to enable it. This document (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10168444-9999.pdf) appears to suggest that dealers should be able to update the software on my video routing module (VRM) to enable Miracast, but my dealer couldn't find a way to do it. My Android phone can cast just fine on a 5GHz network to other devices, but can't see my Pacifica. Any tips or suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts