2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently bought a 2020 Pacifica Limited and it's our first vehicle with built in screens. We haven't used them yet as we knew the first time we opened and turned on the screens the almost 3 year old would know they are always there and we'd prefer to save the screens for roadtrips and not for short trips around town. Our first road trip is this weekend. Prior to this we'd just used the tablet, but we had to take it down in order to change what he was watching. I want to connect our Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 to the screen in the back so he can watch content from the tablet that we've downloaded and I can control it. What's the best way to do this? From what I could find here I can't connect through the USB as videos won't play that way unless I change the file type. Do I need to get an adapter that runs from my tablet to the HDMI port? Will it automatically show what's on the tablet or do I have to screen mirror somehow? Can I control everything from the tablet after it's connected?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The USBs in the seat rears are for charging only, so if you want to stream from a device to the rear screens you should use the HDMI ports back there. Depending on what you use to connect the device to the seat, you may also need to use the USB back there to power the converter cable. Though I just use hard drives loaded with videos, I was recently trying to help a friend with streaming in her Pacifica and discovered that many of the streaming companies won't allow you to stream live content to the seat back screens, as the process looks to the streaming site like screen recording which is impermissible. Not sure if others have encountered this issue. Not sure if pre-downloading the content and then watching that via the in-car screens bypasses the issue.

·
Registered
342 Posts
We recently bought a 2020 Pacifica Limited and it's our first vehicle with built in screens. We haven't used them yet as we knew the first time we opened and turned on the screens the almost 3 year old would know they are always there and we'd prefer to save the screens for roadtrips and not for short trips around town. Our first road trip is this weekend. Prior to this we'd just used the tablet, but we had to take it down in order to change what he was watching. I want to connect our Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 to the screen in the back so he can watch content from the tablet that we've downloaded and I can control it. What's the best way to do this? From what I could find here I can't connect through the USB as videos won't play that way unless I change the file type. Do I need to get an adapter that runs from my tablet to the HDMI port? Will it automatically show what's on the tablet or do I have to screen mirror somehow? Can I control everything from the tablet after it's connected?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sorry, to finish answering your questions: once properly connected, the device should automatically go into mirroring mode. With that, you'll see the same thing on the device and the screen, so yes, you can control from the device. I did all my attempts with an iPad, so I'm not sure if this is the case for other devices, but the screen mirroring on the screen in the car was actually reduced in size (different screen sizes/resolutions, I guess), so the image on the screen ended up being smaller than that on the device. So there's a downside there. I think by far the best approach is loading a thumb drive or hard drive with videos and plugging into the media USB in the front of the van. If you have a lot of video data files, that is.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Define useful. Seriously, though, they’re absolutely useful. They do teach parents to learn a new skill: negotiating with children to do the things they used to while riding in a car (like reading) instead of watching something on tv. I’d say the trade off is worth it for the times when there’s only one parent in the car on long rides or when the baby is taking up the second parent’s attention and the older kid needs to just “pipe down”.

On a recent trip back into the city there was a big accident on the highway. Almost literally a parking lot for 55 minutes. The whole family (including me, the driver), got to watch an episode of Blue Planet II because I had the adaptive cruise control with stop and go engaged and we never moved faster that 5 MPH, so I was able to watch on the front screen while my wife and daughter watched on the rear screens. It was one of several “I’m SO glad I got this car” moments I’ve had since taking delivery in December.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Define useful. Seriously, though, they’re absolutely useful. They do teach parents to learn a new skill: negotiating with children to do the things they used to while riding in a car (like reading) instead of watching something on tv. I’d say the trade off is worth it for the times when there’s only one parent in the car on long rides or when the baby is taking up the second parent’s attention and the older kid needs to just “pipe down”.

On a recent trip back into the city there was a big accident on the highway. Almost literally a parking lot for 55 minutes. The whole family (including me, the driver), got to watch an episode of Blue Planet II because I had the adaptive cruise control with stop and go engaged and we never moved faster that 5 MPH, so I was able to watch on the front screen while my wife and daughter watched on the rear screens. It was one of several “I’m SO glad I got this car” moments I’ve had since taking delivery in December.
And how was it playing on the screens? Through a DVD or through an external connection to a laptop or a thumb drive? And I didn’t know that you could watch on the front screen as well.

I’m leaning towards the Touring L plus trim which has the uconnect theater for this purpose. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
342 Posts
USB loaded with videos. I should stress that it’s generally not a good idea to watch when the vehicle is in motion! But the system is designed pretty well to not allow it. The particular circumstances were pretty extenuating. If I didn’t have the adaptive cruise, I don’t think I would attempt it and, even then, was only really looking at the screen when stopped. Great feature if you ever have to wait in the car for a while, that’s for sure!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts