2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was all gung-ho having purchased my new 2018 Pac Hybrid last year and purchased the lifetime warranty on 11/20/18.

After trading in the vehicle for a new 2019 Pac Hybrid this year (only 5K miles on the 2018 van), I called to cancel the policy on 2/4/19. MOPAR won't let you roll a warranty over to a new purchase as they say the plans are VIN specific.

I just got my refund check in the mail at 10 days which is not bad, BUT IT WAS LESS $179 compared to what I paid.

I called Karen at MOPAR just now for questions about this since it was a lifetime warranty and obviously I'm a loyal customer having purchased 2 new vans over the last 4 months. She said there was a $75 cancellation fee after the first 60 days, and then they prorated the lifetime warranty by another $96.35 (she said it was based on 7/100K even though I had lifetime).

Come on MOPAR/FCA, isn't this a bit unfair way to treat loyal customers when the reason for the refund is that the customer bought another of your vehicles new? 5K miles on a lifetime warranty which was never used.

I wonder if any Chrysler Cares reps can help with mitigating this under the circumstances of very loyal customer?
Anyone have the Chrysler Cares contact info?
Thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ps. I'm very happy with the vehicle. Still over 3/4 tank fuel 2 weeks into ownership! Great ride!

·
Registered
914 Posts
The $96.35 pro-rated charge seems fair to me, as you had 5000 miles of coverage.
You might be able to argue the $75 cancellation fee, but I doubt it, as it was also written into the contract you signed.
Contracts are pretty cut and dried things to deal with.

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
361 Posts
Not trying to be the Designated Jerk here, but this is why it is important to always read the fine print. When purchasing our Lifetime Warranty from Mopar, my understanding was I had only a certain number of days (I think it was 30) to review the policy and request a full refund if not satisfied for any reason.

·
Super Moderator
579 Posts
Yeah I’ll have to agree with the above posters - that being said - why give up the lifetime warranty to upgrade one year newer and with only 5k miles? We custom orders ours with every option available at the time bundled it all in to the lifetime warranty - intentionally “buy once, cry once” - had the civic for almost 16 years hope to have this just as long but hopefully twice that ?

Reactions: Bond007

·
Registered
914 Posts
Not trying to be the Designated Jerk here, but this is why it is important to always read the fine print. When purchasing our Lifetime Warranty from Mopar, my understanding was I had only a certain number of days (I think it was 30) to review the policy and request a full refund if not satisfied for any reason.
You seem to be arguing against yourself in these two sentences. Fine print or not, you knew that after 30 days, you were not entitled to a 100% refund.

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica Touring L+
361 Posts
You seem to be arguing against yourself in these two sentences. Fine print or not, you knew that after 30 days, you were not entitled to a 100% refund.
Perhaps you have me confused with OP. Sounds like OP didn't understand the rules of cancelation. I did. I chose to keep the policy even after reading the part in the policy that said, "The plan will not cover, or apply to loss or expense resulting from: ...Repairs required as a result of other than a manufacturing defect (such as a design defect or normal wear)....". My concern is Chrysler can deny just about any claim it wants by claiming the problem was caused by a design defect. Hoping common sense and cooler minds will prevail if it ever comes to that.

Reactions: Bond007

·
Registered
212 Posts
No FCA lifetime contracts up here in Canada. Seven years max.

Full refund up to 60 days from purchase. Partial refund after 60 days. Sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Call me ignorant, but don't pretty much all extended warranties apply to the vehicle being purchased?

Otherwise you can buy base model car 1 year, pay the fees associated with that model, then 3 years later trade in for top model with all gizmos and get a transfer from your one-time purchase? If that's out there, supported by an OEM, I'd love to know what dealership I have to go to next.

I'd be thrilled if I only lost a couple hundred $ on cancelling that plan. I purchased a 5yr / unlimited from another brand as I planned on driving A LOT and planned on having the car a long time. Then life circumstances changes and I traded that car in for the van. No refund at all on that plan, it's now tied to that vin.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Uncle!

Ok you guys, I cry UNCLE now.

Pretty overwhelming response from my Pacifica buddies that I should not be upset by losing the $179 on the refund at 5000K Miles on the trade-in. Thanks.

Reactions: Bond007 and Lily

·
Registered
102 Posts
I did buy the lifetime coverage on my 18 PacHy. I did read all the fine print before buying. I know some people that can transfer coverage to a new owner but that was not available to me this time. Transfering from one car to another especially since they don't offer lifetime anymore is not a shock to me. Sounds like Chrysler is finding out that lifetime is not a good idea. Either that or Fiat doesn't want anything to do with that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Ok you guys, I cry UNCLE now.

Pretty overwhelming response from my Pacifica buddies that I should not be upset by losing the $179 on the refund at 5000K Miles on the trade-in. Thanks.

Was there a particular reason you decided to trade in the car at just one year/5k Miles ? Did you change trim levels? IMO that trade itself would cost you about $5000. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
579 Posts
Was there a particular reason you decided to trade in the car at just one year/5k Miles ? Did you change trim levels? IMO that trade itself would cost you about $5000. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lol - i thought he already tapped out - but yeah i had asked the same question :nerd:

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Otherwise you can buy base model car 1 year, pay the fees associated with that model, then 3 years later trade in for top model with all gizmos and get a transfer from your one-time purchase? If that's out there, supported by an OEM, I'd love to know what dealership I have to go to next.
I don't think the warranty fees are dependent on model trims of Pacifica. AFAIK, all Pacifica warranties will cost the same at a particular dealership (regardless of the trim level).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts