2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I get in the PacHy this morning for a short trip. To maximize fuel economy I turn the climate control off even though it’s only 20 degrees outside. The defrosters are off, no seat heaters or heated steering wheel. I start driving but I notice that by fuel economy just isn’t as good as it normally is in all electric mode. So I switch over to the screen that shows where the current is flowing and, lo and behold, it says that climate control is drawing 5 kW! I re-check all of the controls and verify that I’ve got nothing turned on. As I drive for some 5-6 miles the current draw eventually lessens to 1 kW. What is causing this?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Battery conditioning. It has it's own coolant / conditioning loop. The car decided it wasn't cool enough to need heat from ICE but was cool enough to turn on the electric heater to get the batteries to optimal temp.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Suspect others are correct - also, sure no defrost setting is on? Heated mirrors, etc?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Suspect others are correct - also, sure no defrost setting is on? Heated mirrors, etc?
All of them combined are less than 1KW. Likely a lot less.

Wow. Sounds logical but definitely sort of misleading to call it “Climate”.
The heating element is the same for the battery and the cabin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts