2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I purchase a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica when it was a little under a year old, with 38,000 miles. The battery (grounding wire) had a recall which we promptly had serviced after purchase, no problem. THE BATTERY DIED WHEN WE WERE 13 HOURS FROM HOME! We had to replace the battery and pay for it all it of pocket after it was “fixed.” I contacted Chrysler for reimbursement and they IGNORE my emails! They closed my case TWICE without review. I am DISGUSTED with their customer service. No one would even listen, much less look into it. We paid 24,000 for a vehicle that we can’t get rid of soon enough. Has anyone else had trouble with their battery and with their customer service department?

·
Registered
117 Posts
The battery issue is pretty common, and seemingly independent of the V53 battery ground recall. When did you buy your van, and where from? Was it CPO? Did you buy an extended warranty? Because you're outside the 3/36 bumper-to-bumper warranty. Our batteries made it to 48k miles before they needed to be replaced, and it was very much out of pocket. I'm not aware of a battery-related recall, but I've kept my receipts in case there eventually is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My husband and I purchase a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica when it was a little under a year old, with 38,000 miles. The battery (grounding wire) had a recall which we promptly had serviced after purchase, no problem. THE BATTERY DIED WHEN WE WERE 13 HOURS FROM HOME! We had to replace the battery and pay for it all it of pocket after it was “fixed.” I contacted Chrysler for reimbursement and they IGNORE my emails! They closed my case TWICE without review. I am DISGUSTED with their customer service. No one would even listen, much less look into it. We paid 24,000 for a vehicle that we can’t get rid of soon enough. Has anyone else had trouble with their battery and with their customer service department?
We purchased our 2017 Gas Pacifica at the end of April 2018 from Enterprise. The van was dead within a month or two. Enterprise told us to take it to a shop, where they replaced the main battery for us, free of charge. Now, the van won't start or take a jump. We did some research and found the power steering ground recall, so had it towed to a dealer to see if it was all connected. We just found out the aux battery failed, but we are outside the factory warranty and our extended warranty does not cover batteries of any sort. Yay us. We have no choice but to pay the $300+ bill because they can't fix the recall without power to the vehicle and we can't drive it as it is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We purchased our 2017 Gas Pacifica at the end of April 2018 from Enterprise. The van was dead within a month or two. Enterprise told us to take it to a shop, where they replaced the main battery for us, free of charge. Now, the van won't start or take a jump. We did some research and found the power steering ground recall, so had it towed to a dealer to see if it was all connected. We just found out the aux battery failed, but we are outside the factory warranty and our extended warranty does not cover batteries of any sort. Yay us. We have no choice but to pay the $300+ bill because they can't fix the recall without power to the vehicle and we can't drive it as it is.
*Edit: We purchased in 2019.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh my goodness! I am so sorry! That is terrible and I hate you’re going through that. Our bill was close to $500 by the time my husband paid to have it jumped off (it wouldn’t take) and then, a taxi to an Advanced Auto. The taxi ride bill, cost of the battery and toolkit to replace it. I emailed them all the details with receipts and I get back, the first time: “We can’t reimburse you for a recall.” That is NOT what I asked. They closed the case so I couldn’t even respond to that email! I yelled at someone on the phone (I apologized to someone else). Now, I have tracking numbers for emails and they won’t respond! I have contacted Customer Support 7 times!

·
Registered
7 Posts
oh my goodness! I am so sorry! That is terrible and I hate you’re going through that. Our bill was close to $500 by the time my husband paid to have it jumped off (it wouldn’t take) and then, a taxi to an Advanced Auto. The taxi ride bill, cost of the battery and toolkit to replace it. I emailed them all the details with receipts and I get back, the first time: “We can’t reimburse you for a recall.” That is NOT what I asked. They closed the case so I couldn’t even respond to that email! I yelled at someone on the phone (I apologized to someone else). Now, I have tracking numbers for emails and they won’t respond! I have contacted Customer Support 7 times!
That is ridiculous.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The battery issue is pretty common, and seemingly independent of the V53 battery ground recall. When did you buy your van, and where from? Was it CPO? Did you buy an extended warranty? Because you're outside the 3/36 bumper-to-bumper warranty. Our batteries made it to 48k miles before they needed to be replaced, and it was very much out of pocket. I'm not aware of a battery-related recall, but I've kept my receipts in case there eventually is.
We bought it from a Ford dealership and it was a show vehicle. Also, yes, we were out of the warranty by 2000 miles but we have an extended warranty for 60,000 miles. The recall was a grounding wire in the batter (dual battery but this was a main battery recall). The recall was fixed at a Chrysler Dodge dealership. The problem is That the auxiliary battery went bad and that drained the primary battery and according to Chrysler, that shouldn’t happen. The other problem is that they wouldn’t listen. They heard “we want reimbursement” and ignored the theme of the emails and phone calls which was “this is a serious problem.” I have had new Fords (Flex), GMCs (Acadia), Hondas (Accord), and never had issues that weren’t taken seriously. I am just so disappointed in Chrysler because they were not kind nor explanatory nor would they listen, unprofessional to say the least.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am unclear, but the recall for us said it was a power steering battery ground, not for the battery itself. I am suspicious of this issue causing a drain on one or both of the batteries.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It is unfortunate to see complaints from owners who think Chrysler should continue paying for batteries for free despite the fact that their vehicles are no longer covered by the standard 3-year/36-month bumper-to-bumper warranty.

In this case, perhaps Chrysler Cares will chime in and ask the OP to private message them, but it would probably be unrealistic to believe they would be able to go beyond corporate policy to help in this situation.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
You can try to contact @ChryslerCares through the forum by clicking on the letters of their name to see if they are more helpful than those you contacted previously.

The recall was related to a grounding wire and was not a battery recall. I do understand that they may seem related. Many forum members have had batteries die before three years. I have had two batteries replaced under the OEM warranty. (One at 28 months and the replacement 4 months later.) Although I have an extended warranty, the next time the battery dies I will have to pay for the replacement since batteries aren't usually covered after the factory warranty. My local customer service department is good, but when they were too busy I took the van 40 miles away to another Chrysler service department. I like my van and plan to keep it a long time.

·
Registered
117 Posts
We bought it from a Ford dealership and it was a show vehicle. Also, yes, we were out of the warranty by 2000 miles but we have an extended warranty for 60,000 miles. The recall was a grounding wire in the batter (dual battery but this was a main battery recall). The recall was fixed at a Chrysler Dodge dealership. The problem is That the auxiliary battery went bad and that drained the primary battery and according to Chrysler, that shouldn’t happen. The other problem is that they wouldn’t listen. They heard “we want reimbursement” and ignored the theme of the emails and phone calls which was “this is a serious problem.” I have had new Fords (Flex), GMCs (Acadia), Hondas (Accord), and never had issues that weren’t taken seriously. I am just so disappointed in Chrysler because they were not kind nor explanatory nor would they listen, unprofessional to say the least.
While electrical, the connection involved in the V53 recall does not drain the batteries. Unfortunately the batteries in these vans aren't as robust as they should be, but if you're outside the original 3 year/36k mile warranty, it becomes a matter of what the extended warranty I'm assuming you purchased from the Ford dealer will cover.

I'm not here to defend Chrysler, but once they realized you were out of warranty there probably wasn't much they were going to do. Since you were so close on the mileage, a dealer might be able to get an out-of-warranty repair covered under goodwill. But they are under no obligation to, there is no guarantee that Chrysler will make a good will exception, and the willingness of the dealer to go to bat for you will depend on your relationship with the dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is unfortunate to see complaints from owners who think Chrysler should continue paying for batteries for free despite the fact that their vehicles are no longer covered by the standard 3-year/36-month bumper-to-bumper warranty.

In this case, perhaps Chrysler Cares will chime in and ask the OP to private message them, but it would probably be unrealistic to believe they would be able to go beyond corporate policy to help in this situation.
Again, my complaint is that no one would listen and I felt like this was an issue that needed to be addressed. I am well aware of the warranty and all that in tells.
Chrysler is just not for us. We’re used to good service and product and this doesn’t fit that bill.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
While electrical, the connection involved in the V53 recall does not drain the batteries. Unfortunately the batteries in these vans aren't as robust as they should be, but if you're outside the original 3 year/36k mile warranty, it becomes a matter of what the extended warranty I'm assuming you purchased from the Ford dealer will cover.

I'm not here to defend Chrysler, but once they realized you were out of warranty there probably wasn't much they were going to do. Since you were so close on the mileage, a dealer might be able to get an out-of-warranty repair covered under goodwill. But they are under no obligation to, there is no guarantee that Chrysler will make a good will exception, and the willingness of the dealer to go to bat for you will depend on your relationship with the dealer.
If they had of said that, it would have been fine. But they didn’t. They said “we can’t reimburse you for the battery recall.”
My goal is and will be to shed light on a problem, not to gain money. The money would be nice but if you can afford a new vehicle, you’re probably not hurting for cash. I would have never said a word had they responded to my actual concerns. But again, they saw “reimbursement” and went into rules instead of true customer service. We’ve had to contact Ford and GMC with questions before, never with complaints, and they offered things (which we declined because we were just asking a question.) I guess I’m used to being treated like a person and Chrysler treats you like a number. Not for me... I’ll pay cash down for a new vehicle with another service from now on. Will one patron ruin them? No... but at least I won’t have to deal with them!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to clarify, if you will read my initial post... my problem is with customer service not listening. I know we were out of warranty— but if an auxiliary battery completely drains a main battery while the vehicle isn’t even on for a week, there’s a problem somewhere. It will probably be recalled soon, if I am guessing because there are forums everywhere dedicated to how bad this issue is. It isn’t about the money, it is about Chrysler putting concerns off because they think they’re going to have to pay money. I am just not happy with Chrysler at all. And also, intend to spread the message on their poor customer service and their desire to think of money over what is happening in people’s lives. Will it spread and matter? Who knows? Hopefully, someone at Chrysler takes a look at the issue...
I am going back to a Ford, Chevy, or GMC as soon as possible just because of their customer service. Never had a problem out of their vehicles and have been contacted by customer service before just because of questions (never complaints). I shouldn’t have went with the Chrysler brand, after all, I read the reviews. It was my own dumb choice to pick a vehicle that people were already complaining about.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just to clarify, if you will read my initial post... my problem is with customer service not listening. I know we were out of warranty ...
SDYancey said:
THE BATTERY DIED WHEN WE WERE 13 HOURS FROM HOME! We had to replace the battery and pay for it all it of pocket after it was “fixed.”
Maybe you were angry and not expressing yourself clearly, but your initial post did very much come across as the problem being that you had a repair you had to pay for yourself. And even in your last post, you talk about "their desire to think of money over what is happening in people's lives" so it sounds like you still think they should have paid for your new battery out of warranty?

·
Registered
7 Posts

The problem is not a wear and tear item. Most batteries last longer than 2 years, so there seems to be a consistent drain on the power. One person on this thread had to replace their battery twice within 9000 miles of purchasing the vehicle. Either the factory part is defective or there is a system issue causing the battery failure. THAT is the issue that needs to be addressed, not some unrealistic feeling of entitlement. Next time, please read the comments thoroughly before passing judgment, as this seems to be a common issue and not isolated to one or two vehicles.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If they had of said that, it would have been fine. But they didn’t. They said “we can’t reimburse you for the battery recall.”
My goal is and will be to shed light on a problem, not to gain money. The money would be nice but if you can afford a new vehicle, you’re probably not hurting for cash. I would have never said a word had they responded to my actual concerns. But again, they saw “reimbursement” and went into rules instead of true customer service. We’ve had to contact Ford and GMC with questions before, never with complaints, and they offered things (which we declined because we were just asking a question.) I guess I’m used to being treated like a person and Chrysler treats you like a number. Not for me... I’ll pay cash down for a new vehicle with another service from now on. Will one patron ruin them? No... but at least I won’t have to deal with them!
What “battery recall” were they referring to?

·
Registered
180 Posts
The problem is not a wear and tear item. Most batteries last longer than 2 years, so there seems to be a consistent drain on the power. One person on this thread had to replace their battery twice within 9000 miles of purchasing the vehicle. Either the factory part is defective or there is a system issue causing the battery failure. THAT is the issue that needs to be addressed, not some unrealistic feeling of entitlement. Next time, please read the comments thoroughly before passing judgment, as this seems to be a common issue and not isolated to one or two vehicles.
There seems to be a common misconception that a "defect", however this can be defined, should be repaired/replaced by the manufacturer beyond the warranty period. That is not how the world works -- when you purchase something, you are not guaranteed that it will not have any defects. You are guaranteed that the manufacturer will fix defects for the duration of the warranty period. What would otherwise be the meaning of a "warranty period"?

Most warranties will have language that looks something like this:
... are warranted against defects in workmanship or materials for X months/Y miles for both parts and labor.
Nowhere in the warranty will you find that, except "wear and tear items", parts are warranted against defects forever. That would be a completely unworkable situation.

(Beyond the express warranty, there are rules about implied warranties about "fitness of purpose", which essentially mean that if you sell a car, it has to fill the purpose of a car. That's a very basic requirement and I don't know for how long it would have to work as a car before it has fulfilled that requirement. The other exception, specific to motor vehicles, is a safety-based recall. The vehicle not starting because the battery is dead is not a safety-related defect, so would not apply.)

Bottom line is, different manufacturers offer different warranties. If the manufacturer being responsible for problems with the vehicle is an important consideration to you, buy one with a long warranty, or buy an extended service contract.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I appreciate your response. Batteries are not covered by extended contracts as I recently discovered when I contacted my carrier. Again, my point is that there is a drain on the battery that should not be there. This is being seen in vehicles still covered by the factory warranty as well those that are not. It is happening in several vehicles, not just a handful. The ground issue was a safety recall and I am still suspicious that it is the root cause of the battery issues. I just want Chrysler to dig a little deeper to find out why so many of us are having battery issues with a backup battery some didn't even know existed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I agree there seems to be something going on with the battery, how it's charged, or what drains it when the vehicle is off, that could be improved. However, that does not translate into it being something that the mfg is required to fix outside of warranty.

For example, read up about the Ford dual-clutch transmission debacle, it's basically acknowledged at this point that those transmissions are defective. What happened here is that the problem was so severe that Ford acknowledged this and eventually extended the powertrain warranty. Nevertheless they are now facing a class-action lawsuit saying that the cars are so defective they plain don't work. But in the absence of the problem reaching those heights, once the warranty is expired any problems are on you.

Just to be clear, I am not making a normative statement; I'm not saying this is right. I'm just saying this is how it works and thinking that it should work otherwise is likely to lead to pointless frustration. ;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts