2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I suggest that everyone contact FCA and take advantage of the option to get a rental until your vehicle is fixed. Why put miles on your car when they are going to pay $2400 a month for a rental. This will also assure you that your vehicle will be fixed first. How many months are they going to pay thousands of owners rental fees? Spread the word, get a rental and avoid putting miles on your van.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I suggest that everyone contact FCA and take advantage of the option to get a rental until your vehicle is fixed. Why put miles on your car when they are going to pay $2400 a month for a rental. This will also assure you that your vehicle will be fixed first. How many months are they going to pay thousands of owners rental fees? Spread the word, get a rental and avoid putting miles on your van.
In my case, the swap will have to be another plug-in hybrid van which does not exist.

·
Registered
126 Posts
@dbinvt thank you for posting your experience in getting Chrysler to repurchase your van. I think your case helps to set a precedent that will allow others to pursue a similar resolution. It is very interesting that your state accepted that the W46 recall in June of 2020 was the start of the problem. I imagine that the whole process was very trying for your family and you are glad to have it behind you.

Would it be possible for you to provide additional details on the documents you assembled to support your case?Perhaps if enough of us begin a similar process, Chrysler will take the action necessary to resolve this problem for everyone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
@dbinvt thank you for posting your experience in getting Chrysler to repurchase your van. I think your case helps to set a precedent that will allow others to pursue a similar resolution. It is very interesting that your state accepted that the W46 recall in June of 2020 was the start of the problem. I imagine that the whole process was very trying for your family and you are glad to have it behind you.

Would it be possible for you to provide additional details on the documents you assembled to support your case?Perhaps if enough of us begin a similar process, Chrysler will take the action necessary to resolve this problem for everyone.
The documentation needed varies from state to state, so it really depends on the requirements of your own lemon laws. The application for arbitration here was incredibly exacting, and there was no guarantee the lemon law board would even take our case until all paperwork was in and they decided our arguments had merit. Part of the reason they wanted this to go to trial was the fact this would set precedent for things in our state. Cases settled out of court can't be used for precedent, and the board here is aware more things like this are coming. My wife and I talked about going to trial and being part of the public record but ultimately decided the settlement was fair - especially given the fact we're free to talk about it with the media and forums like this one. There was also no guarantee that we ultimately would have been successful with our argument that this problem goes back to recall W46, so there was genuine risk with this tactic. But it literally paid off in the end. Moving away from the minivan isn’t a good option for many folks in here, but we can make do with the smaller Toyota (sticking with a plug-in hybrid option means the Sienna is not for us).

More than once we wished we had a lawyer looking over all the paperwork required by the state. Even though the folks at our lemon law board were incredibly helpful, the process is written into law so things were ... complex. We expected equally complex legalese from FCA when they offered to settle, but their offer was in plain, simple English and took up less than a page and a half. We expected a "gotcha" from FCA at every turn but were pleasantly surprised how cordial (even helpful) the folks representing FCA were - and how simple this was once underway. It did, however, take about a month and a half from the time we received the settlement offer until we handed over the keys and the deal was truly done.

Start with folks at your DMV; they can point you in the direction of your own lemon law board/process if you want to pursue it. Just know you must be able to prove your Pacifica was still under the relevant warranty when the problem began, and that FCA made repeated attempts to fix the problem but never resolved the issue. We had several visits for recall W46 before it was "fixed," then the local dealership wrote a statement on a repair order for recall Z11 that said, basically, don't bother to bring the van back in because there's no fix for this problem. Again, the fact that our state and federal Attorney Generals' offices filed paperwork on our behalf (putting this on the record) seemed to be invaluable. The squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that stuff …

·
Registered
126 Posts
The documentation needed varies from state to state, so it really depends on the requirements of your own lemon laws. The application for arbitration here was incredibly exacting, and there was no guarantee the lemon law board would even take our case until all paperwork was in and they decided our arguments had merit. Part of the reason they wanted this to go to trial was the fact this would set precedent for things in our state. Cases settled out of court can't be used for precedent, and the board here is aware more things like this are coming. My wife and I talked about going to trial and being part of the public record but ultimately decided the settlement was fair - especially given the fact we're free to talk about it with the media and forums like this one. There was also no guarantee that we ultimately would have been successful with our argument that this problem goes back to recall W46, so there was genuine risk with this tactic. But it literally paid off in the end. Moving away from the minivan isn’t a good option for many folks in here, but we can make do with the smaller Toyota (sticking with a plug-in hybrid option means the Sienna is not for us).

More than once we wished we had a lawyer looking over all the paperwork required by the state. Even though the folks at our lemon law board were incredibly helpful, the process is written into law so things were ... complex. We expected equally complex legalese from FCA when they offered to settle, but their offer was in plain, simple English and took up less than a page and a half. We expected a "gotcha" from FCA at every turn but were pleasantly surprised how cordial (even helpful) the folks representing FCA were - and how simple this was once underway. It did, however, take about a month and a half from the time we received the settlement offer until we handed over the keys and the deal was truly done.

Start with folks at your DMV; they can point you in the direction of your own lemon law board/process if you want to pursue it. Just know you must be able to prove your Pacifica was still under the relevant warranty when the problem began, and that FCA made repeated attempts to fix the problem but never resolved the issue. We had several visits for recall W46 before it was "fixed," then the local dealership wrote a statement on a repair order for recall Z11 that said, basically, don't bother to bring the van back in because there's no fix for this problem. Again, the fact that our state and federal Attorney Generals' offices filed paperwork on our behalf (putting this on the record) seemed to be invaluable. The squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that stuff …
@dbinvt Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful and detailed response. I appreciate your advice about engaging an attorney. I have a friend who just worked a lawyer to help with lost value in a car accident so we now know about a good one in our area. The challenge in Washington state, where we are, is a 30 month limit from the date of purchase in the lemon law, but if we can make the recall W46 case, that will help.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
81 - 89 of 89 Posts