2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With 2018 Pacifica Hybrid is there a way to have iPhone connected for CarPlay and also listen to mp3 files from a USB flash drive at the same time? There is a second USB port near the dvd player but doesn't seem to handle audio files from a USB flash drive. (I know I could download all the files onto iPhone and listen when CarPlay active but that is not practical due to amount of storage on iPhone.)

·
Registered
408 Posts
With 2018 Pacifica Hybrid is there a way to have iPhone connected for CarPlay and also listen to mp3 files from a USB flash drive at the same time? There is a second USB port near the dvd player but doesn't seem to handle audio files from a USB flash drive. (I know I could download all the files onto iPhone and listen when CarPlay active but that is not practical due to amount of storage on iPhone.)
I think it’s either or. I’m in the process of adding music files to my iPhone that for years have lived on a USB stick.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Should be able to do both..

The ports are used differently, in the lower port, the music can be accessed through uConnect theater instead of the USB source in the radio.

It also uses a very simple player method that prevents suffle or other basic nicecities when used from the front screens.. IIRC the player literally always plays in sequence from the beginning unless selected otherwise.

I have a 320Gb external HDD connected with all the rear seat entertainment media and use the top port for CarPlay.. while the wife plays music from her phone over bluetooth by changing source when desired - all devices stay connected at the same time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should be able to do both..

The ports are used differently, in the lower port, the music can be accessed through uConnect theater instead of the USB source in the radio.

It also uses a very simple player method that prevents suffle or other basic nicecities when used from the front screens.. IIRC the player literally always plays in sequence from the beginning unless selected otherwise.

I have a 320Gb external HDD connected with all the rear seat entertainment media and use the top port for CarPlay.. while the wife plays music from her phone over bluetooth by changing source when desired - all devices stay connected at the same time.
thanks for the response; so it sounds like its possible to play mp3 files from usb connected to the uConnect port although it doesn't seem too usable if you have many files on the usb drive if there's no way to select based on folders (or whatever). Also it probably doesn't remember what your last played file is? so you would have to skip through them all again each time you start up the car (I use the usb drive mostly for audiobooks)
How do you navigate through the files on your external HDD drive?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Hi terryw,

Thanks for reaching out here. Unfortunately, you may only use one feature at a time. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Alex
Chrysler Cares

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
thanks for the response; so it sounds like its possible to play mp3 files from usb connected to the uConnect port although it doesn't seem too usable if you have many files on the usb drive if there's no way to select based on folders (or whatever). Also it probably doesn't remember what your last played file is? so you would have to skip through them all again each time you start up the car (I use the usb drive mostly for audiobooks)
How do you navigate through the files on your external HDD drive?
I think it works better from the rear seat positions. But I’m always driving so cant say for sure..

Give it a try..

UConnect Theater, Screen 1 or 2, USB, music is the default.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it works better from the rear seat positions. But I’m always driving so cant say for sure..

Give it a try..

UConnect Theater, Screen 1 or 2, USB, music is the default. View attachment 42858
I tried it out this afternoon and it worked fine. I had iPhone connected to the primary usb data port for car play and then connected usb flash drive to port near dvd/bd drive. After selecting the connection via uConnect app it accessed the usb and I could then use "browse" function to select which folder and track I wanted to listen to! It remembered where it was in the folder after stopping and restarting also.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I tried it out this afternoon and it worked fine. I had iPhone connected to the primary usb data port for car play and then connected usb flash drive to port near dvd/bd drive. After selecting the connection via uConnect app it accessed the usb and I could then use "browse" function to select which folder and track I wanted to listen to! It remembered where it was in the folder after stopping and restarting also.
Great to know!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts