2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used an Apple TV to watch movies on the 2 TVs? The Apple TV has to be plugged into the outlet - will this drain the battery? We have a 15 hour car drive ahead of us and the kids want to use Apple TV during the drive. Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Has anyone used an Apple TV to watch movies on the 2 TVs? The Apple TV has to be plugged into the outlet - will this drain the battery? We have a 15 hour car drive ahead of us and the kids want to use Apple TV during the drive. Thanks!

You SHOULD be able to use it, so long as you either tether it to your phone for internet access, or have set up the cars WiFi hotspot.

I’ve been looking into installing one permanently (after modifying to run on 12V DC) if there were a way to plug it into the HDMI port under the seat instead of into the seatback.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh no, don't say that. Yikes! This is my 2nd Pacifica...first one was taken back using the lemon law because it died. The dealership says I should be fine. The service manager said the apple tv uses less power than an ipod charging cord. Let's hope he is right! I am driving about 15 hours north of my home to an area where there is no dealership- the town has one stop light and one gas station. Closest "city" is about an hour away. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Yes, using the outlet will eventually drain the battery. But you said you will be driving 15 hours, and driving keeps the battery charged.
That's correct, it will take many hours with the engine off to drain the battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
momof4crazies,

As many others have said on this thread, if you're tooling down the highway at the legally posted speed limit, you will likely not ever have a problem running an Apple TV box using the 120V plug in the Pacifica.

One thing to note though, is that the 115/120V plugs get their juice through a device called an inverter which converts the 12V DC of the vehicle to a 120V AC source. This process is resource intensive and causes significant losses mostly via heat. (which is why many factory installed inverters have on/off switches).

Be VERY mindful, though of stopping off at the local Walmart and letting the kids watch TV while the car is off. You may find yourself making a roadside assistance call for a boost in shorter order than seems prudent. (Now all this may go out the window if you have a Pacifica with ESS, as the starting comes from the Auxiliary battery)

Likely not going to be an issue, though. Have a fun drive!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts