2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 Pacifica Limited has lived with me for two weeks now and I'm getting used to it's many different ways. I've found that the alloy interior is much hotter than my 2016 T&C with black interior. My guess is because of the tri pane sunroof. I'm in central Florida and it's not even hot yet....

Has anyone had any UV protection applied to their Pacifica? I'm thinking of going to visit a local tint shop and see if there is anything they can add to the sunroof glass to maybe cut down on the added heat.

Also, does anyone know if the front windows tint is similar to that on the previous T&C. I'm also interested if anyone has added additional tint to the front windows. Thank you!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Use the search tool (box in upper right corner) and you will find numerous discussions on window tinting for the Pacifica.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Per my signature, we have Lumar Air 80 on our front side windows. I believe the "80" is because it allows in 80% of the light (versus 50% or less on darker tints). I'm in my early 70's. Opted for this style of tint to make driving easier to see at night, especially when backing up looking over my shoulder or into the outside rearview mirror. Heat build-up wasn't much the concern as we have the lighter seats and carpet and no sunroof. Mostly concerned about UV damage to leather interior, which this stuff is supposed to greatly reduce. It was a bit more expensive than the darker tint.

·
Registered
372 Posts
As stated above, there are other existing threads on this topic... but in short, I had (forgetting brand) ceramic-based tint/film applied to every glass surface internally (obvious exception of front windshield) and I do not deal with excessive heat issues. *BUT* - in all fairness... I had this process done within days of taking delivery of my vehicle, so I do not have an accurate A/B comparison of before & after... hard to say how much of an ACTUAL difference it makes in temperature and/or UV degradation of interior... but, I always tint my vehicles anyhow, so it made sense to at least TRY one that claims to block substantial UV via ceramic material.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your responses. I do search, but sometime answers don’t exactly match the question ?

I have an appointment tomorrow to have all surfaces covered. Front windshield and sunroof with Air 80 and rest of the windows with additional tint to legal limit. I’m looking for the biggest change to come from the sunroof, but time will tell.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I am always perplexed re: other states that allow film to be applied to the front windshield... not allowed here in Massachusetts... especially since our inspection stickers (annual removal & application) must be applied directly to the glass and are "tamper-proof". Seems foreign (to me) that applying ANY type of film to a front windshield is allowed. :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am always perplexed re: other states that allow film to be applied to the front windshield... not allowed here in Massachusetts... especially since our inspection stickers (annual removal & application) must be applied directly to the glass and are "tamper-proof". Seems foreign (to me) that applying ANY type of film to a front windshield is allowed. :D
We don’t have inspection stickers, so that wasn’t a concern. (She says quietly)

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
get a good quality ceramic or nano-ceramic film. i'm running rayno S9 all around my Pac, including the tri pane sunroof. makes a big difference.

Reactions: citanic

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the car tint upgrade done yesterday.

Llumar Clear Air-80 on the front windshield and tri-pane sunroof. Upgraded rest of the windows to the legal limit. What an amazing difference in the heat inside. Not to mention how it looks from the outside.

Monday is pin striping. I'll post pictures afterwards.

Wish the car had Michelins, but at 3,000 miles not ready to change out the stock Falken just yet.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally went to the car wash yesterday as I was tired of cleaning off all the Florida love bugs.

I was told by my tint installer to not use anything on the inside of the windows that might have alcohol in it. ie Windex type products. If nothing is available, then use water.

My car wash uses Windex and didn't have any water spray bottles available. So I just did an exterior wash.

I know others have had lumair 80 or deeper tint applied to their windows. So what do you use to clean the interior of the windows?

Thanks much and have a great day!

·
Registered
340 Posts
]I know others have had lumair 80 or deeper tint applied to their windows. So what do you use to clean the interior of the windows?

Just a simple mix of water and vinegar does it for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Finally went to the car wash yesterday as I was tired of cleaning off all the Florida love bugs.

I was told by my tint installer to not use anything on the inside of the windows that might have alcohol in it. ie Windex type products. If nothing is available, then use water.

My car wash uses Windex and didn't have any water spray bottles available. So I just did an exterior wash.

I know others have had lumair 80 or deeper tint applied to their windows. So what do you use to clean the interior of the windows?

Stoners invisible glass is available everywhere. Tint safe and works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Glass-Premium-Cleaner-91164/dp/B0007OWD2M
Amazon.com: Invisible Glass 91164 - Cleaner for Auto and Home for ...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stoners invisible glass is available everywhere. Tint safe and works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Glass-Premium-Cleaner-91164/dp/B0007OWD2M
Amazon.com: Invisible Glass 91164 - Cleaner for Auto and Home for ...
Thanks, I just looked it up. I could use that on the tint, but not sure about on the Lumair - I was told no alcohol and not to use Windex because it contains alcohol. Do you have the Lumair Air 80 on your car? Do you use Invisible glass on it?

Great line of products, though. Appreciate the tip. I might try it on the little triangle windows first.

·
Super Moderator
1,962 Posts
Ammonia based cleaners are known to damage tint. Most automotive glass cleaners are ammonia free. Invisible Glass is a popular brand and it states that it is tint safe.
Installers often claim that "nano ceramic" is better in heat rejection then the factory tint. I tinted the front windows, and couldb't feel much difference

·
Registered
686 Posts
get a good quality ceramic or nano-ceramic film. i'm running rayno S9 all around my Pac, including the tri pane sunroof. makes a big difference.
I was going to tell you that. It makes a huge difference. I had my two front windows done and I can feel the difference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use Sprayway and Invisible Glass on my film, both leave no streaks and are easy to get.

Can’t believe anyone would not want some kind of window film on their vehicle. I’ve been to the eye doctor recently and he told me that he sees UV damage in eyes all the time, including mine.

The comfort level with these new films is incredible- your a/c doesn’t have to be maxed out, your arm doesn’t burn, your leather isn't destroyed. If you’re in an accident you don’t pick squares of broken glass out of your hair.

·
Registered
15 Posts
In Texas we can have 70 on the windshield. We also have Inspection/Reg stickers. I use these little sticker shields

https://www.amazon.com/STICKER-SHIELD-Windshield-Application-Re-application/dp/B01466E0GS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=CC77N97IBI2Q&keywords=windshield+sticker+shield&qid=1558807278&s=gateway&sprefix=windshield+stick,aps,158&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

works with Toll tags, too

Save your dashboard and your face by putting film on the windshield!

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
15 Posts
It’s true, a lot of automotive glass today has some or total UV protection. Also true- infrared and other spectrums come right through modern auto glass, yes, even that ‘limo’ tinted factory glass in the second row. These newer films are worth investigating and investing in- not the ‘Slappy’s Baitshop and Auto Tint” from the 70s and 80s.

Total Solar Energy Rejection is I believe what the manufacturers have a rating for. Can you completely eliminate it? Of course not, you’re looking to mitigate it.

So yeah, there’s more to it than just your flashlight.

·
Registered
194 Posts
My 2c based on one of my cars having standard tint @ 35% and another car (Pacifica) getting ceramic at same 35%, same manufacturer (Suntek) and same shop. While both provide the same level of visible light transmittance (privacy) the infrared heat that's blocked or reflected is night and day difference. Shops around here do charge significantly more for ceramic, but it's worth it for me. I have read that most new auto glass blocks some or most of the UV spectrum, but I don't want to bank on that (and you don't really know unless you can perform a more scientific test). Our van still warms up on hot days, but it feels a whole lot cooler on your skin when the sun is shining - now I'm spoiled and it feels strange to be in a car that doesn't have ceramic and it's hot on your skin

I'm a big fan of tint now - even if it's a high VLT, as long as it blocks most of the infrared heat than I'm game. The additional 35% on the sides and rear also give the extra privacy so folks really can't see in, but you can see out without issue

1 - 20 of 20 Posts