2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
The context of this discussion is that when the vehicle is Charging on the 120v EVSE, the vehicle gives a person a shock.. which automatically implies the EVSE is plugged in.
And within the context of this discussion we are talking about a person touching the body of the car and getting shocked. Since the body of the car is connected to ground, and not to neutral, then stating that you can get a shock from an open neutral is irrelevant since it’s not within the context of this discussion.

·
Registered
698 Posts
irrelevant since it’s not within the context of this discussion.
Yeah. The takeaway here is that the OP is potentially in grave danger of losing a family member the way things are at present. A licensed electrician needs to be called in asap. Until then, they should not charge that vehicle at that location.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yeah. The takeaway here is that the OP is potentially in grave danger of losing a family member the way things are at present. A licensed electrician needs to be called in asap. Until then, they should not charge that vehicle at that location.
I agree. And given the fact that this is an older detached garage my bet is that it only has two wire service running to it from the house. And if it does have a ground wire running out there, there’s probably something wrong with it. If the solution is to have a new wire run to the garage from the house then why not run 240 out there on a 40-50 amp branch circuit in case the OP wants to purchase a Level 2 charger at some point in the future?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Ha-ha, this is some effort to prove a point in an Internet discussion!
It seems to me that everyone here understands how a 120V household circuit works, and the arguments are mostly about the words.
Yup, to much effort.. i’m done.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here's an unpopular opinion... The OP issues have nothing to do with his household wiring. Rather, there is an issue with the charging system of the van. What that issue is, I do not know, suspect some wire in the van came loose and is touching something it should not.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Here's an unpopular opinion... The OP issues have nothing to do with his household wiring. Rather, there is an issue with the charging system of the van. What that issue is, I do not know, suspect some wire in the van came loose and is touching something it should not.
It could be but HV systems are highly monitored and voltage leak would disable the system/turn on the MIL light. The OBCM is also fault tolerant and monitored to a degree.

Only testing will determine. It could any part between the breaker and the OBCM.. and in the van lets not discount corrosion, rodent damage. Charge socket damage..

How many people look inside the charge handle pins before they stick it in the charge socket? I’ve seen public charge stations with crap (probably literally) smeared inside.. or bubblegum just to screw a person over.. The STI of the EV lifestyle.

There was one owner on facebook that broken her charge socket out of the vehicle and was still using it (I hope thats not the OP :)

Its usually the $1 wall socket that causes the majority of charge issues from what I’ve seen. These aren't typically replaced by a tradesperson and “tight” is relative. there are cheap testers to confirm this.

Its all conjecture at this point.

If the Van isn't setting any warning, I would look st the house first.

There is a large Gap between the way Chrysler and BMW do things, but Chrysler has rules to follow regarding personal safety and Voltage monitoring.

·
Registered
393 Posts
It could be but HV systems are highly monitored and voltage leak would disable the system/turn on the MIL light. The OBCM is also fault tolerant and monitored to a degree.

Only testing will determine. It could any part between the breaker and the OBCM.. and in the van lets not discount corrosion, rodent damage. Charge socket damage..

How many people look inside the charge handle pins before they stick it in the charge socket? I’ve seen public charge stations with crap (probably literally) smeared inside.. or bubblegum just to screw a person over.. The STI of the EV lifestyle.

There was one owner on facebook that broken her charge socket out of the vehicle and was still using it (I hope thats not the OP :)

Its usually the $1 wall socket that causes the majority of charge issues from what I’ve seen. These aren't typically replaced by a tradesperson and “tight” is relative. there are cheap testers to confirm this.

Its all conjecture at this point.

If the Van isn't setting any warning, I would look st the house first.

There is a large Gap between the way Chrysler and BMW do things, but Chrysler has rules to follow regarding personal safety and Voltage monitoring.
I agree. It is possible that an improper ground in the house wiring is causing this. We know that if the van were properly grounded these events would not have happened. The only reason someone gets shocked when touching the van is that the van is not at ground potential. If the van were at ground potential then a human who is basically also at ground potential would not get a shock from the car.

I initially thought the same thing, that there must be some sort of leakage in the van itself perhaps due to moisture or something else. But the fact that the EVSE and house wiring should be providing a solid ground to the van while connected would prevent even that from occuring. Any leakage within the van that would let the van’s body become electrified should be drained immediately and directly to ground by the aforementioned system but it was not. So my guess after thinking upon it a bit is that there is a problem in the ground coming from the house.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
About this Discussion
48 Replies
11 Participants
Homer Simpson
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing