2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Black 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L+ VMI wheelchair lowered floor conversion
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
update: appointment with specialty vehicle service on Friday 17sept2021. will update when I know more; thanks for the feedback!

QUESTIONS ANSWERED:
all was fine a month ago. no incident. this just started. you all are helping me evaluate the issue and I really appreciate all the feedback.
38K miles
tires have good pressure but i will have them checked again
rental company put new tires when they sold it around 22k miles
yes van porpoising and mainly swaying continues after the surface changes
thank you for the responses
---

Advice needed please. While driving now, but never in the past, some strange motions occur. Hard to describe so please bear with me. Increasingly pronounced as speed builds. With increasingly severe motions the van rocks left and right and my hand going back and fourth with the wheel. This seems to cause the hand on wheel to exacerbate the motion an give the feeling the van is going out of control. This is over the same roads that have never been smooth yet the van has serious trouble going through them now and coming back to normal. Tires? Bushings? Sway bar? As you can tell I'm confused about this and totally unsure regarding the cause. Please ask questions to help me accurately describe the issue.

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
What’s the mileage , original tires ? What are air pressures in them ? When you go over a bump does then van continue to bounce after the fact ?

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
1,025 Posts
To a certain degree, what you're describing is normal with a vehicle as large as the Pacifica when making sudden steering changes. It generally shouldn't happen with normal driving though.

The first thing to check is your tire pressure. Make sure they're all inflated at least 36 PSI when cold. The difference in road feel between 30 PSI (when the low tire warning is triggered) and 36 PSI (recommended pressure) is very noticeable. If the tires check out fine then you need to inspect the shocks & struts and sway bar end links. If your van has more than 60k miles and is frequently driven on rough roads, the shocks & struts could be worn out.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
What he describes is not normal.

You need to have the suspension evaluated by a professional. Theres no way a van of that low mileage should have worn struts, if it had 200,000 miles on it, sure. The Pacifica has Macpherson struts in the front and twist blade/coil/shock in the rear which is very common with lower end/midgrade FWD vehicles, its not very sophisticated and is very long lasting.

With it having been a prior rental, anything is possible, you could have blown or disconnected stabilizer bar links, etc

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Touring AWD Velvet Red "S"
179 Posts
Now that some of the questions have finally been answered, maybe this is the problem: VMI wheelchair lowered floor conversion.

Whoever converted the van, may have done some modification wrong.... I've seen these going down the road, all jacked up in the back. They appear half out of control. Something they modified broke!!

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
There’s problem , aftermarket modifications . It probably would have been wise to mention this in the tread “ about handimobility vehicle “.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Touring AWD Velvet Red "S"
179 Posts
Yeah, I found the info in his avatar description... Clicked on his name, then, "About"

"Vehicle Details Black 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L+ VMI wheelchair lowered floor conversion"

Therein lies the problem.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Yeah thats a very important point...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts