2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Pinnacle Hybrid
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I am just not allowed to have nice thing, lol.

Used my Pacifica Hybrid in absolute hauling mode this weekend. Picked up and moved two large pieces of furniture (my living room is going mid-century modern) and a new water heater. The van worked amazing and I found a small bit of (admittedly evil) joy when I had to help someone struggle to lift a heavy generator into the bed of their pickup truck and then easily tipped the water heater into my van. Super Bonus for the low load height.

Karma must have been watching me though, cause later on that weekend I was driving and caught a huge rock with the leading edge of my hood. Even though I gave the obvious work truck a wide berth, the rock took an unlucky bounce and I watched in horror as it came up and smacked into my van. Sadly I had traffic on both sides, so I could not take evasive action. Now I have a dent and a nice chip of paint missing on a van that is less than two months old.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Call it liberating. Now you don't have to worry about that first scratch. And paint can be fixed, very easily.

We've always used our (nice) minivans for what they are. We discovered early on how huge the Odyssey was, and (for example) how it can haul a full size reclining couch with the hatch closed. They're tools to be used. Like my mother always said whenever my father complained about us kids ruining the grass by playing baseball, "we're raising kids--not grass". Likewise, the van exists to serve me--not the other way around. That's not to say I will actively abuse it, but still.

For example, my son over the past couple of years has borrowed our van to do some work for a buddy of mine, hauling computer scrap. He fills the back to the top with all sorts of IT oriented stuff. When we brought the new van home, his first question was "how long before I'll be allowed to use it". I shrugged and said, "right away". I just won't be held hostage by things. We'll get a new painter's tarp for him to throw down, and move on.

·
Registered
2021 TourL
98 Posts
I had this happen the first day I got mine and was driving home, Feels good to get that first scratch/dent/chip out of the way. Now can relax and just enjoy the drive

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited - Velvet Red
66 Posts
Talk about karma .. did a 2000 mile road trip and had my spouse dent the left panel deeply in the parking lot at home !! Its been at the body shop with 7.5k worth of work pending for weeks now

·
Registered
2021 Pinnacle Hybrid
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Talk about karma .. did a 2000 mile road trip and had my spouse dent the left panel deeply in the parking lot at home !! Its been at the body shop with 7.5k worth of work pending for weeks now
Ouch. This was actually the second scratch. My wife drove mine for two days (hers was in the shop and she refuses to drive my son's Charger). While she had it someone ran a cart into the side, luckily that one will buff out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Karma must have been watching me though, cause later on that weekend I was driving and caught a huge rock with the leading edge of my hood. Even though I gave the obvious work truck a wide berth, the rock took an unlucky bounce and I watched in horror as it came up and smacked into my van. Sadly I had traffic on both sides, so I could not take evasive action. Now I have a dent and a nice chip of paint missing on a van that is less than two months old.
Ughh, it hurts but I agree that once you get it out of the way it feels liberating. The day I got our van home I caught the passenger mirror on the garage while backing out for the first time :oops: Nothing horrible but definitely scratched. My husband enjoyed razzing me about that one because I always bragged about my mad parallel parking skills from years of living in the city...yet I couldn't maneuver out of the garage.

A few weeks later, still before we had plates on it, a teeny tiny rock bounced up on the highway and chipped the windshield right in my line of sight 😤 We had it repaired but you can still see it. I've had windshield chips exactly twice in my 25+ years of driving. The first was a rental and now this one on my pretty van I plan to keep for the next 10 years. Whaddaya gonna do? 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
2017 Touring L - Bright White, Black/Alloy w/Nav
56 Posts
I get it, the first scratch or dent you do is the worst. I bought mine used and "preconditioned" with a few scratches, yet I still see the marks I put on it when I was careless with the snow brush.

That said, I try to keep the same attitude of several other posters here. The van is a tool to get me and my family from place to place in comfort and safety, as well as haul things. Granted, the better care I take of it, the longer it is likely to serve me.

Furthermore, you said it was a huge rock that caused a dent... better the hood than the windshield. The van is a thing - things are more easily fixed than people.

We're all glad you escaped injury and we sympathize with the "injury" to your new van.

Reactions: KJPert

·
Registered
2021 Pinnacle Hybrid
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I get it, the first scratch or dent you do is the worst. I bought mine used and "preconditioned" with a few scratches, yet I still see the marks I put on it when I was careless with the snow brush.

That said, I try to keep the same attitude of several other posters here. The van is a tool to get me and my family from place to place in comfort and safety, as well as haul things. Granted, the better care I take of it, the longer it is likely to serve me.

Furthermore, you said it was a huge rock that caused a dent... better the hood than the windshield. The van is a thing - things are more easily fixed than people.

We're all glad you escaped injury and we sympathize with the "injury" to your new van.
I appreciate it. I know I am lucky it didn't come through the windshield.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts