2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1101 - 1120 of 1145 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks so much everyone for all the advice! I did reach out to Chrysler Cares on Twitter and after direct messaging me for the VIN, they came back with Chrysler Cares sent you a Direct Message.
We're sorry to hear of this, and we can see you've contacted the Customer Care center to leave a voicemail in regards to your concerns. As your case is assigned to a separate handling team, the case manager will be the proper contact to further assist with your requests. I will update your concerns with us here once more to your case and notify that are still needing assistance and a callback.

I will message them on here and also will call the NHTSA tomorrow. The Mopar web site states I have completed the following recalls: U01, U64 and T23. U50 (manual park release) not yet completed b/c they don't have the parts available. Also I really do love my van, never thought I'd own or love a minivan but I do. Its got everything I wanted as far as the features. I really want to get this resolved and go on with life!

·
Registered
2020 Gas Pacifica Touring L+; (prev 2017 Touring L+)
897 Posts
..... She said Chrysler cannot get rentals. They said the dealership has to. This dealership in my small town does not have rentals or a rental car account with Enterprise. Chrysler told me that I can get my own rental and they will reimburse - it was either $30 or $35 a day - which is total bull b/c there is no rental for that cheap and I need a van. A Pacifica rental from Enterprise is $92.00 a day. Chrysler who should be covering all of this isn't even close to covering half a day. I am so upset and at a loss here. I'm not a rich person and I just don't think they give a crap. I feel like I should keep updating this post b/c people need to know how bad it is.
Some Enterprise locations offer rentals at very close to the $35/day that Chrysler (and most car insurance companies) give when your van is down for repairs (as well as body work.) Of course, if you are prepaying because the dealer/Chrysler isn't getting the bill, then you could get hit with the taxes, etc. on top of that. In any case, tell your Enterprise location that the van is in the shop for repair. You should get a break. And where is your sales person/service manager on this?

There is something called a STAR case when the dealership needs technical assistance. I am not familiar with it, but perhaps some other forum members could chime in on that. You said "Chrysler is aware of 'it'" but it is not clear if they have formally asked for assistance.

As for no recall without a fix, that is not true. Chrysler issued the U01 (stalling) recall weeks before the software update was rolled out. Same with the cruise control. I think the hybrid PIM (?) issue last year that pulled all the hybrids off the streets was also issued long before the parts were available. And I think the Odyssey seat issue recall preceded the fix (if that is even out yet.)

Good luck., and thanks for the updates.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I thinks it's hard because of my location. There is only one Enterprise within a hours drive of my location. The van is at the local dealership which is very small, when I purchased it, I bought it from the larger dealership an hour and a half away. I am in Kitty Hawk NC and the van came from Chesapeake VA. This time of year it is prime vacation season here, we are flooded with tourists and the trip north takes even longer this time of the year. I spoke to the Cheaspeake dealer earlier this week. My sales person no longer works there. They serviced it once last year - car had an oil issue while I happened to be up in Chespeake shopping, and than once for one of the recalls, they have not seen it since. The Ches. dealer told me they won't cover the towing because it is so far away, they only cover 50 miles out. They did state they work with Enterprise to get rentals. At the time we talked I felt it was not fair to pull the car while it was in the process of being worked on from the dealer in Kitty Hawk. I am going to give the Kitty Hawk dealer a few more days to try to fix this otherwise I will have no choice but to have it towed up to Chesapeake. Our big check in, check out days for tourists are Fri - Sundays so today and the next two, no one that lives here really leaves their work or house on those days. I just feel like there have to be others like me in small towns who Chrysler may take advantage of. We will see how today goes.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I thinks it's hard because of my location. There is only one Enterprise within a hours drive of my location. The van is at the local dealership which is very small, when I purchased it, I bought it from the larger dealership an hour and a half away. I am in Kitty Hawk NC and the van came from Chesapeake VA. This time of year it is prime vacation season here, we are flooded with tourists and the trip north takes even longer this time of the year. I spoke to the Cheaspeake dealer earlier this week. My sales person no longer works there. They serviced it once last year - car had an oil issue while I happened to be up in Chespeake shopping, and than once for one of the recalls, they have not seen it since. The Ches. dealer told me they won't cover the towing because it is so far away, they only cover 50 miles out. They did state they work with Enterprise to get rentals. At the time we talked I felt it was not fair to pull the car while it was in the process of being worked on from the dealer in Kitty Hawk. I am going to give the Kitty Hawk dealer a few more days to try to fix this otherwise I will have no choice but to have it towed up to Chesapeake. Our big check in, check out days for tourists are Fri - Sundays so today and the next two, no one that lives here really leaves their work or house on those days. I just feel like there have to be others like me in small towns who Chrysler may take advantage of. We will see how today goes.
I don't know if it relevant to your current problems, but what was the "oil issue" ?

·
Registered
897 Posts
I think @ChryslerCares or someone else in the management can authorize a long tow. I believe they have done it for hybrids when the local dealer was unable to work on the van. I hate geography, but it looks like the tow would be about 20 miles over the 50 mile limit. Maybe you can work out a deal with the towing company for the difference if push comes to shove on moving it. Or the Kitty Hawk dealer may help since you are local and they haven't succeeded.

Can the Va. dealer get you better terms with Enterprise, or is their deal only with their local office? They may be able to get a better rate extended to you. Are they sympathetic?

·
Registered
3 Posts
2018 PacHy stalls out on the highway- 10 days after purchase 1681 miles

My family purchased a 2018 Pacifica Touring L Hybrid in Denton, Texas 2 weeks ago just in time for our summer vacation. On Tuesday, me, my wife, the 2 kids and 2 dogs all pack in and head towards Alabama/Georgia to visit family. Just outside of Atlanta, our Pacifica pops and stalls out on the highway. By the grace of God we slowly come to a stop on the right shoulder on a highway on ramp - no room on left or right with cars whizzing by - super dangerous situation. Check engine light come on, and the screen just says put in parking and hit button to start, but nothing happens. The AC is now off, and my whole family is stuck in a different town with our new PacHy with only 1681 miles on it.

We immediately call Mopar roadside assistance, and was told a tow truck was on the way and we should call the local police to direct traffic. We waited for over 1.5 hrs and still no tow, and the police eventually have to leave, but did manage to call a tow truck for us before they left - so out of pocket tow for us (I'm still hoping for Mopar reimbursement).

So we get the van to the nearest dealer, but they were closed for the day. The next morning (Wed 7/25) I call the dealership and they said they started working on it. After the entire day with no response from the dealership, we call Mopar to escalate our ticket. At this point, we are 2 days into our 8 day vacation, and I am lost. The dealership says they don't don't loaners and didn't have any Enterprise vans that can go out of state (our vacation house was in Alabama). Out of desperation, I get a local rental from Avis out of pocket (also hoping for Mopar reimbursement) and take my family to continue our vacation. Before we leave town (Thursday 7/26/2018), I stop by the dealership to pick up my kids car seats- only to find out that the techs at that dealership, although trained on the Hybrid, has never worked on one, and took almost an entire day just to retrieve the engine codes- Chyrsler engineer contacted almost 24 hrs after dealer dropoff.

So today is Friday, 7/27/2018, and the Atlanta west dealership service dept has basically stopped taking my calls, and still haven't called me back. My guess is that they still have no idea what's wrong with the van.

Mopar has also been trying - I was assured my the case manager that if the van is not fixed by the time my family leaves the area, I would have to still come back to Atlanta to pick the van up in person after it is fixed. Reading this forum, my hopes of my van getting fixed before Tuesday is quickly diminishing, along with my confidence in the pacHy's reliability.

With my vacation time running out and my family having to head back to Dallas to start school... I'm not sure what to do at this point... Can Mopar ship the car back to a Dallas dealership for repair?

Has anybody had this car break on vacation? Any advice on how to deal with the dealership or Mopar? Or should I just start contacting a lawyer for lemon law? Help!

·
Registered
932 Posts
My family purchased a 2018 Pacifica Touring L Hybrid in Denton, Texas 2 weeks ago just in time for our summer vacation. On Tuesday, me, my wife, the 2 kids and 2 dogs all pack in and head towards Alabama/Georgia to visit family. Just outside of Atlanta, our Pacifica pops and stalls out on the highway. By the grace of God we slowly come to a stop on the right shoulder on a highway on ramp - no room on left or right with cars whizzing by - super dangerous situation. Check engine light come on, and the screen just says put in parking and hit button to start, but nothing happens. The AC is now off, and my whole family is stuck in a different town with our new PacHy with only 1681 miles on it.

We immediately call Mopar roadside assistance, and was told a tow truck was on the way and we should call the local police to direct traffic. We waited for over 1.5 hrs and still no tow, and the police eventually have to leave, but did manage to call a tow truck for us before they left - so out of pocket tow for us (I'm still hoping for Mopar reimbursement).

So we get the van to the nearest dealer, but they were closed for the day. The next morning (Wed 7/25) I call the dealership and they said they started working on it. After the entire day with no response from the dealership, we call Mopar to escalate our ticket. At this point, we are 2 days into our 8 day vacation, and I am lost. The dealership says they don't don't loaners and didn't have any Enterprise vans that can go out of state (our vacation house was in Alabama). Out of desperation, I get a local rental from Avis out of pocket (also hoping for Mopar reimbursement) and take my family to continue our vacation. Before we leave town (Thursday 7/26/2018), I stop by the dealership to pick up my kids car seats- only to find out that the techs at that dealership, although trained on the Hybrid, has never worked on one, and took almost an entire day just to retrieve the engine codes- Chyrsler engineer contacted almost 24 hrs after dealer dropoff.

So today is Friday, 7/27/2018, and the Atlanta west dealership service dept has basically stopped taking my calls, and still haven't called me back. My guess is that they still have no idea what's wrong with the van.

Mopar has also been trying - I was assured my the case manager that if the van is not fixed by the time my family leaves the area, I would have to still come back to Atlanta to pick the van up in person after it is fixed. Reading this forum, my hopes of my van getting fixed before Tuesday is quickly diminishing, along with my confidence in the pacHy's reliability.

With my vacation time running out and my family having to head back to Dallas to start school... I'm not sure what to do at this point... Can Mopar ship the car back to a Dallas dealership for repair?

Has anybody had this car break on vacation? Any advice on how to deal with the dealership or Mopar? Or should I just start contacting a lawyer for lemon law? Help!
This sounds like a nightmare situation. It sounds like you have tried the appropriate steps. Maybe try private messaging @ChryslerCares. Really hope things get better for you.

·
Registered
126 Posts
So I have owned a 2017 Pacifica for a year and 3 months. The engine shutting off thing just happened to me for the first time yesterday. I was driving, going about 50-55 when the engine shut off. At first I was not sure what was going on but then a message came on the display telling me to put the car in Park and restart the car. I was able to get into the turning lane, shifted into park and stared the car up. I then merged back into traffic, about 3 or 4 minutes later, about a mile or 2 down the road it happened again. Same thing. This time I was able to get to a parking lot where the car proceeded to stall/shut itself off every time I started it and put it in drive. It also started up and then engaged the parking brake on its own. It did this for several cycles. Finally it started normally and allowed me to drive it to the local Chrysler place. It is in the shop now and I have not heard the diagnostic report yet. There are 2 recalls on it, the cruise control recall and the Manual park release recalls. It had been scheduled already to have these taken care. Not sure if the shutting off is related to either one of these though. Called in last night and reported it to Chrysler, everything is still under warranty. Not sure what else to do at this point just waiting to hear from car place. Chrysler will not talk about authorizing a rental for me until we get diagnostic.

Not to throw a wrench into this thread, but some of these newer issues like @mjwalters sound like a loose ground somewhere instead of the software issue. I used to work at a Volkswagen dealer and we had a similar issue with a new, off-the-truck 2013 Jetta Hybrid that would just "wig out"; it would stall, the gauge cluster would turn on and off while the vehicle was turned on, there were a few other things that it would do that I can't recall, but what I do recall is that they finally traced it to was a loose bolt. During assembly they installed a bolt that held one of the ground cables but didn't tighten it. The ground wire moved around, causing the intermittent issues. Replaced the bolt (some arcing damaged the threads), tightened it to spec, and the car resumed normal operation.

If you've had the software updates and you're still experiencing stalling, particularly if there is other, out-of-the-ordinary symptoms, be open to the cause being something else.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Not to throw a wrench into this thread, but some of these newer issues like @mjwalters sound like a loose ground somewhere instead of the software issue. I used to work at a Volkswagen dealer and we had a similar issue with a new, off-the-truck 2013 Jetta Hybrid that would just "wig out"; it would stall, the gauge cluster would turn on and off while the vehicle was turned on, there were a few other things that it would do that I can't recall, but what I do recall is that they finally traced it to was a loose bolt. During assembly they installed a bolt that held one of the ground cables but didn't tighten it. The ground wire moved around, causing the intermittent issues. Replaced the bolt (some arcing damaged the threads), tightened it to spec, and the car resumed normal operation.

If you've had the software updates and you're still experiencing stalling, particularly if there is other, out-of-the-ordinary symptoms, be open to the cause being something else.
Intermittent electrical problems can be a nightmare to diagnose. I heard of something similar on another vehicle where the paint on the frame wasn't allowing a good ground on the ground strap.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Intermittent electrical problems can be a nightmare to diagnose. I heard of something similar on another vehicle where the paint on the frame wasn't allowing a good ground on the ground strap.

Exactly. They're a nightmare on an older car, and their exponentially worse on modern cars with their complicated electrical system, CAN-BUS and signal multiplexing. Everything is so sensitive that one dirty ground in probably dozens of grounds in a vehicle like the Pacifica will create mayhem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't really have too much to update since my last post. I finally heard from my case manager's Supervisor because she never called me. He contacted me late Friday afternoon and upped the rental car money to $45 a day. Still does not put me in a van. He stated they could also help with towing as long as the cost is not outrageous. He stated he was assigning my case to a new Manager who will be calling Monday. He told me they would contact the local dealer to encourage they open a STAR case if they have not already. I checked on my car Friday and Saturday, they told me they are still working on it, they told me it shut down on the mechanic and they had to have it towed back to dealer themselves. They stated possibly Monday afternoon to pick up van. I get the feeling they don't really know, I do feel they are trying their best, I am sure they are sick of my van and want to get it fixed and out of their garages. Everytime I get ready to order a rental, they think the van is done so is hard to coordinate. Supervisor at Chrysler cares would like me to give the local dealer until mid week to work on this or the next time they say its fixed and I pick it up and it breaks - at that point they stated I could have it towed to Chesapeake dealer where I bought van. @martin.gao I am so sorry this has happened to you! I travel with 4 large dogs and always have the breakdown nightmare scenario in my head. Now I am afraid of it even worse. I am already wondering after all of this - am I ever going to feel safe in the van again. I again thank everyone so much for their comments and suggestions. I am sharing them with the local dealer. I will update again on Monday. @martin.gao - the only advice I have right now is to start documenting everything - names of who you speak with, times and everything so that you have a complete record.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I did get another call from my case manager today. Apparently the dealership ordered a pin module (?) from Chrysler last Friday for my van. Does anyone know what that is? I still have not heard anything from the dealership themselves - just get put on hold when I call.

So far everything is still out of pocket for me, although the case manager says they will reimburse. I'm not sure how we will pick the car up from the Atlanta dealership at this point, as we are headed back to home/Dallas soon.

I am documenting everything as @mjwalters17 suggests, and will update as if I hear anything. Soon our new PacHy van will have been at the dealership longer than we've owned it!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Not a hybrid owner, but the term "PIM" has been tossed around a lot -- I think it is "power inverter module" and an integral part of the hybrid system to convert the battery DC power to AC power for the motors.

Reactions: martin.gao

·
Registered
932 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just to update:The van is still in the shop. I am dealing with a Case manager at Chrysler. The local dealer could not fix it. They told me that there is no recall b/c there is not a solution. The local dealer told me the above on Tuesday afternoon. After telling my Case Manager she stated this was not true. She and I both felt it was time to pull the van from them. I almost feel like the local place said this b/c they knew I'd tell Case Manager and then they would not have to deal with the van any longer. The van was towed back to the dealership where I bought it on Weds. The dealership put me in a rental, I did not ever have to drive and hour and 15 min to pick up, they worked it so I could pick up a van from the local Enterprise. The contact at the VA dealership where I bought the van seemed very optimistic Thursday morning saying they may have figured out stuff but then a few hours later said the van did shut off on them also. I did not reach out to them for an update yesterday b/c it was the 11th day of the crap and I needed a break. I will check in with them later today if I do not hear anything.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Just to update:The van is still in the shop. I am dealing with a Case manager at Chrysler. The local dealer could not fix it. They told me that there is no recall b/c there is not a solution. The local dealer told me the above on Tuesday afternoon. After telling my Case Manager she stated this was not true. She and I both felt it was time to pull the van from them. I almost feel like the local place said this b/c they knew I'd tell Case Manager and then they would not have to deal with the van any longer. The van was towed back to the dealership where I bought it on Weds. The dealership put me in a rental, I did not ever have to drive and hour and 15 min to pick up, they worked it so I could pick up a van from the local Enterprise. The contact at the VA dealership where I bought the van seemed very optimistic Thursday morning saying they may have figured out stuff but then a few hours later said the van did shut off on them also. I did not reach out to them for an update yesterday b/c it was the 11th day of the crap and I needed a break. I will check in with them later today if I do not hear anything.
Sounds like they are trying to help you. Let us know what they finally find out the problem is. I feel bad for you that you are going through this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The dealership called me yesterday to let me know that they have ordered a new fuel pump and that it will take 4-5 days to arrive/install. I will update again when I have something new to report.

·
Registered
932 Posts
The dealership called me yesterday to let me know that they have ordered a new fuel pump and that it will take 4-5 days to arrive/install. I will update again when I have something new to report.
That's the first fuel pump issue that I have seen on the Pacifica Forum. I hope that is the solution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quick update: After getting back to Dallas after vacation, we called the dealership we bought the car from, and started dealing with their GM and zone manager to find out next steps. After a week and countless numbers of calls, we find out that our PacHy has not even been touched since we left it there in Atlanta.
Apparently STAR told the Atlanta dealer to order the PIM module before we even left, and the part is back ordered until 9/11 - and no idea if that was the original cause of the issue! So far the van has been sitting in the shop for 18 days in the shop now, officially longer than the 10 days that we've owned the van.

The local dealership that we bought the van from has given me a rental so that I don't have to pay out of pocket anymore, but Chrysler has yet to reimburse me for the $1100+ cost that I have accrued due to the van failure. In addition, they have approved a van buyback, and are sending us to a company called ISG.
3 days since we've been informed of the news - we have not heard from ISG buybacks yet about any offers - we were told that it would take them up to 5-7 days to get to us, and the entire process could take up to a month!
Anyone on this forum has dealt with ISG or Chrysler buybacks? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. We paid cash for the van, so not sure if we should request cash refund (if that is even possible) or substitution of collateral (what the dealership told us we'd be getting)... If we have to end up paid a bunch more money just to get a substitute van we will not be very happy...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Quick update: After getting back to Dallas after vacation, we called the dealership we bought the car from, and started dealing with their GM and zone manager to find out next steps. After a week and countless numbers of calls, we find out that our PacHy has not even been touched since we left it there in Atlanta.
Apparently STAR told the Atlanta dealer to order the PIM module before we even left, and the part is back ordered until 9/11 - and no idea if that was the original cause of the issue! So far the van has been sitting in the shop for 18 days in the shop now, officially longer than the 10 days that we've owned the van.

The local dealership that we bought the van from has given me a rental so that I don't have to pay out of pocket anymore, but Chrysler has yet to reimburse me for the $1100+ cost that I have accrued due to the van failure. In addition, they have approved a van buyback, and are sending us to a company called ISG.
3 days since we've been informed of the news - we have not heard from ISG buybacks yet about any offers - we were told that it would take them up to 5-7 days to get to us, and the entire process could take up to a month!
Anyone on this forum has dealt with ISG or Chrysler buybacks? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. We paid cash for the van, so not sure if we should request cash refund (if that is even possible) or substitution of collateral (what the dealership told us we'd be getting)... If we have to end up paid a bunch more money just to get a substitute van we will not be very happy...
In your situation I would perhaps consult an attorney specializing in lemon cases. There are practices in Dallas that focus on lemon law. They can advise on what you can expect to recover. Initial consult should be free, and manufacturer pays their fees at settlement. And google up the Texas lemon law and read through it. That should represent the minimum settlement offer you will consider. I would be looking for the full cost of the van, plus unreasonable rental charges, less an allowance for the miles of use you did get.

1101 - 1120 of 1145 Posts