2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just bought a 2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited from a west coast dealer 700 miles away from my home. I have been looking at vehicle transport quotes and reviews. The problem is that the pricing is widely varied as are the reviews.

I am looking for a competitive price...and a reputable company that isn't going to raise the price *after* pickup.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Super Moderator
597 Posts
Hi all,

Just bought a 2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited from a west coast dealer 700 miles away from my home. I have been looking at vehicle transport quotes and reviews. The problem is that the pricing is widely varied as are the reviews.

I am looking for a competitive price...and a reputable company that isn't going to raise the price *after* pickup.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim
why not just fly out there and drive it back yourself - its a hybrid, should be able to make it home on one tank of gas :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why not just fly out there and drive it back yourself - its a hybrid, should be able to make it home on one tank of gas :)

Two reasons:

1. The California sales tax rate is approaching 10%. Don't want to pay an extra $4,000 in sales tax, plus flight, plus gas.

2. I don't have the time to do so.

·
Registered
178 Posts
We drove about 450 miles to pick ours up then drove it back. Can you avoid the CA sales tax by having it shipped? Aren't you still buying it from a CA dealer, thus required to pay the sales tax?

I'm sure you can find a number of options. Shipping by train is one. Just make sure whoever you go with has good insurance. Heard of one guy who shipped his Viper across the country and there was some old car above it that was leaking brake fluid on it all the way across and completely ruined the paint.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. Sales tax in the originating state can be avoided by shipping the vehicle.

In that way, it's no different than buying a computer, a camera, or any other item from a vendor in another state and having it shipped to your home. No sales tax is charged, unless the seller also has nexus in your state of residence.

The only difference is that the state of residence has a mechanism for actually extracting the sales (or use) tax from the actual buyer. That is, the vehicle registration process.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've used a company called AutoStar Transport to move many cars, and they've always come through for me. I had previously worked with a guy there by the name of Lewis, and this is his email:
[email protected]

As far as taxes are concerned, if you take delivery of a car in CA (i.e. if you drive it on any CA public road once it leaves the dealer's lot), then you must pay CA sales tax on the car. But you can usually apply that amount to the taxes you'll owe when registering the car in your home state... if your tax % is lower than what you paid in CA, you *should* get a refund, but different states have different policies. If you take delivery of the car outside of CA, then you only have to worry about paying taxes in your state when you reg the car...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts