2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I recently bought a camper, small 2800lb. We used the family truck to get it to Cherokee for the summer and we are storing it there, and will tow it back using the truck. However, we don't always have access to the truck.

So our plan is to use our 2017 pacifica to tow the camper across the camp ground, so basically a few hundred feet.

As I understand it, with the towing package the radiator is beefed up, as well as some other minor things, but most notably the towing capacity is 3600. Without it it's only 1500? Is the increase only because of those other things?

Would it be safe/ok if we got a uhual hitch added and just towed it that short distance in low gear?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would try it if it's only a few hundred feet. I doubt anything will happen.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just around the campground? You'll be fine.
I've been towing a 2700lb dry camper on the highway.

Edit: Without factory tow package

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Just around the campground? You'll be fine.
I've been towing a 2700lb dry camper on the highway.

Edit: Without factory tow package
Ok, just wanted to be certain because it won't have brakes or anything like that (but I'll go real slow).

Just to be clear, a class 2 or 3 hitch install from uhual will do the trick just fine? I'm a bit of a diyer, would it save much/be wise to just do it myself?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ok, just wanted to be certain because it won't have brakes or anything like that (but I'll go real slow).

Just to be clear, a class 2 or 3 hitch install from uhual will do the trick just fine? I'm a bit of a diyer, would it save much/be wise to just do it myself?
I installed the draw-tite hitch myself. Wasn't too bad. There is a section on this forum that is dedicated to towing that has install pics. There is also a very long thread about DIY install on a hybrid in the hybrid section, as some dealers refuse to install hitches on hybrids.

With the use case you are talking about... I would be tempted to just let UHaul do it...

Edit: Are you really only moving it across a campground? May be beneficial to become friends with someone there and pay them a case of beer to move it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, only around the camp ground.

My wife is getting someone to move it this solo trip, but its not always a guarantee that someone will be willing or able. Often we will be leaving on a Sunday, which is the same day most others leave. Don't really want to bother them while they are packing up.

Also, the hitch could always come in handy later for a small trailer to pick up stuff like a couch.

I'll be sure to check out the diy stuff. Ours is not a hybrid in the event I chicken out.

·
Super Moderator
2,212 Posts
The towing distance is not as important as the speed or incline. I wouldn't hesitate 40MPH on a flat road, but wouldn't attempt doing 70 uphill.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts