2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ran a code reader on my Pacifica last Friday evening and got the four multiple codes in the TSB. Had the issues sporadically since owning as listed in the symptom/condition:. I took it the dealer this morning and they updated VRM and had me on my way in about an hour. The RSE is more responsive and continues videos playing at the point when the vehicle is shut off rather than at the beginning when turned back on.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Ran a code reader on my Pacifica last Friday evening and got the four multiple codes in the TSB. Had the issues sporadically since owning as listed in the symptom/condition:. I took it the dealer this morning and they updated VRM and had me on my way in about an hour. The RSE is more responsive and continues videos playing at the point when the vehicle is shut off rather than at the beginning when turned back on.
What version does your VRM show now?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What version does your VRM show now?

It also includes a Blueborne cybersecurity patch. Blueborne not only attacks items listed in the video below, but it also attacks IoT (Internet of Things), anything with Bluetooth.

Being in IT, security updates and patches are far more critical than fixing my video screens. Security updates and patches should be pushed out to the end-user for updating through the Uconnect website. With all the security risks today, It is beyond me why anyone would plugin and modify their vehicles with things like openpilot that give an extra unmanaged backdoor into your car's control systems. In today's world, no system or device anywhere is fully secure. Adding a third-party backdoor device to a 5000-pound projectile is insane.

While these below have been patched to address the exploits, there is always another exploit that can be found and why I am glad FCA has patched the Blueborne threat in TSB 08-095-19.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/01/08/jeep_hacking_supreme_court/

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@ThisSuckersElectrical - is this an update that we can do ourselves, or does it need to go to the shop?
Unfortunately, this is a dealer only update.

These are the trouble codes if you are interested. Mine only had the B codes.
These were not active but stored. Most cheap code readers only see active or permanent codes only.
B15AD-00
B15AE-00
B15AA-00
B15AB-00
U11BB-00

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
continues videos playing at the point when the vehicle is shut off rather than at the beginning when turned back on.
The media player retains the current position for a short period of time (under one hour). Does this update makes it permanent?
With all the security risks today, It is beyond me why anyone would plugin and modify their vehicles with things like openpilot that give an extra unmanaged backdoor into your car's control systems. In today's world, no system or device anywhere is fully secure.
Does Openpilot need a remote connectivity? I was under impression that it is a completely self contained system.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

If you have this update installed, your Uncoonect Theater remotes will no longer work and have to be synced again. Syncing will NOT be possible unless you clear the previous sync settings from each remote by holding down "screen, down arrow, play/pause" all at the same time until the remote lighting flashes off and back on to clear the stored sync data from the old VRM firmware.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Is anyone able to get this VRM update and share? I’ve been patiently waiting for an update since the last one in January, 2018. It would be nice to have the USB videos properly resume each and every time instead of randomly. Currently it seems like my best chance of the videos resuming is when I use remote start.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is anyone able to get this VRM update and share?
No, that would violate software licensing agreements to openly share the software update.

Currently it seems like my best chance of the videos resuming is when I use remote start.
It is interesting you bring that up. On page two of the TSB tech and procedures sheet, under "symptoms and conditions" it states in bold letters,

"NOTE: Low Voltage Differential Signal (LVDS) DTCs (B15AD-00 B15AE-00 B15AA-00 B15AB-00) get falsely set when the vehicle is remote started.".

The TSB tech and procedure on this is five pages long.

The update has to be downloaded from Uconnect Command Center Dealer Software Downloads. The vehicle started and running, then the black and gray VRM harness connector unplugged from under the passenger seat, plugged back in and wait for it to reboot. The software update installed on the USB drive is then plugged into the USB port by the Blueray player. Screen one (driver side seat back) will prompt if you want to continue with the update and you tap accept and wait for it to complete.

Below is my service invoice. I have redacted dealer, tech, and personally identifiable information.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Update:

I can confirm this software update fixes the video playback issues. After the vehicle sitting over twenty-four hours and starting, one screen started playing the Blu-ray movie where it left off and the other began to play a movie from the USB flash drive where it left off when it was shutdown.

I am hoping and will check tomorrow this also fixes the rear screens from auto turning on when I have manually turned the power off upfront before shutting down the vehicle.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:

After the vehicle sitting for over 48 hours, the rear screens now stay off on startup if they were powered off before vehicle shutdown.

Now if they will get the nav icons fixed: https://www.pacificaforums.com/threads/nav-icons.44775/#post-576508
and I can update my map since it shows it was from the second quarter of 2017, I will be happy.

The map is WAY outdated. The last time I used the navigation at one point it wanted me to turn into a field and start driving on train tracks in that field. Then about a mile down, turn off the train tracks and keep going on the road I was already traveling on. Very annoying when in a location you have never traveled. I have been using my Tom Tom G620 since this incident as it gets complete new map updates every quarter and has been extremely accurate. Having a navigation system with almost-three-year-old maps is not acceptable, roads and speed limits change.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Update:

After the vehicle sitting for over 48 hours, the rear screens now stay off on startup if they were powered off before vehicle shutdown.

Now if they will get the nav icons fixed: https://www.pacificaforums.com/threads/nav-icons.44775/#post-576508
and I can update my map since it shows it was from the second quarter of 2017, I will be happy.

The map is WAY outdated. The last time I used the navigation at one point it wanted me to turn into a field and start driving on train tracks in that field. Then about a mile down, turn off the train tracks and keep going on the road I was already traveling on. Very annoying when in a location you have never traveled. I have been using my Tom Tom G620 since this incident as it gets complete new map updates every quarter and has been extremely accurate. Having a navigation system with almost-three-year-old maps is not acceptable, roads and speed limits change.
I don't want to side track this thread, but can't you use Android Auto/Apple CarPlay? I agree about the frustration with navigation maps being old. I just got a map update and it says 2018 on the package so you might want to wait until a later one comes out since it still seems outdated but newer than what was put in my van in 2016. You can go into the navigation menu and check things to avoid such as ferries and dirt roads. (I don't remember if train tracks was a choice to avoid.)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Update:

Are the videos from USB continuing to resume every time you restart the car?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I saw that post. That was after 24 hours. I was hoping for another update now that another 5 days have passed.
Still the same, starts where it left off rather than at the beginning or nothing.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hopefully they make the update available on the driveuconnect website. When I type in my VIN I still only see the UCONNECT_VRM_RHH_174811_RU_MY18 update from 01/2018.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hopefully they make the update available on the driveuconnect website. When I type in my VIN I still only see the UCONNECT_VRM_RHH_174811_RU_MY18 update from 01/2018.
Possible, but most likely will not happen. This is a software update specific to the VRM (Video Routing Module) located under the passenger seat. It has a specific update procedure and is not updated through the Uconnect head unit. It is updated through rear screen 1 and via the USB port by the Bluray player. Your VRM software version can be seen on the rear screens under Settings/General/System Information: VRM Software P/N: 191210. If it does not show 191210 you are not running the current software for the Video Routing Module located under the passenger seat. I would post a picture of this screen, but there is too much additional information listed that should not be public.

The update you are showing "UCONNECT_VRM_RHH_174811_RU_MY18 " is for the main head unit.

I have not had any more issues with blank screens, lock-ups, distorted images, lag, reading USB files, or playback since the update.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The update you are showing "UCONNECT_VRM_RHH_174811_RU_MY18 " is for the main head unit.
That is incorrect. This update was specifically for the VRM and performed from the back seat monitors after plugging in the USB update key next to the Uconnect Theater USB port located next to the Blu-ray player. The Uconnect main unit up front had an OTA update +/- 30 days from the day the VRM update became available (this update on the 2018+ never showed up on the driveuconnect website). You can view my update procedure in the other VRM thread from last year.

I’m glad to hear this update fixes all of the issues many of us are still experiencing.

I’m curious if the update also corrects the issue with H.264 videos playing a bit on the choppy side (the older MPEG4 standard plays smoothly however). There’s a large thread about this if you’re interested. If this update isn’t pushed out on the website in the next couple months I’ll request the dealer update it at the next oil change. Thank you for providing us with all of this information.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is incorrect.
Then you are right! Sorry about that.

I’m curious if the update also corrects the issue with H.264 videos playing a bit on the choppy side (the older MPEG4 standard plays smoothly however). There’s a large thread about this if you’re interested. If this update isn’t pushed out on the website in the next couple months I’ll request the dealer update it at the next oil change. Thank you for providing us with all of this information.
Not sure, loaded my USB drive up with MPEG files. I highly recommend getting the update if it is not pushed out to end-users. It has been great not hearing kids complaining about the screens screwing up. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts