2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Pacifica Limited purchased in August of 2018 new. I now have 18000 miles on it. I do not have a sun roof. I first noticed a leak in January 2019 after a hard rain with water collected in the rear wells. It was at the dealership for a week they had difficulty in finding the leak but finally said it was fixed. Then I noticed the problem again after pulling up the third row seat which had been down for several months in September. Water had collected underneath the folded down seats, actually ruined the carpet and had an accumulation of mold. The dealership this time had the car in the shop for two weeks and finally said they fixed the problem. Since that time I have kept a close eye on the rear carpet. I have been through car washes but we have not had much rain. Yesterday after a hard rain I checked it and it was soaked. I will be taking it back to dealers tomorrow.
Interested in seeing if anyone else has had this problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since I wrote this I have been back to dealers and after a week said it was fixed.
Today I took it back for the 4th time. Dealer asked that I give them one more chance. My original salesman advised that I trade it out. Not sure where to go. I have a lemon law case right now.

·
Registered
590 Posts
A year ago there was somebody in the Facebook group whose dealer was initially stumped by this problem but eventually found that the rubber gasket on one of the hinges of the rear hatch was missing. They first replaced the liftgate gasket but that didn't fix it. Here is what the service manager said when they finally did fix it: "I have identified the source of the water entry into your Pacifica. It is coming in through the left liftgate hinge where it is bolted to the roof. It left the factory missing the seal between the hinge and the roof panel. The water is then running down the interior behind the trim panel to the bottom of the liftgate opening and coming into the interior by the area of the weatherstrip. The water always pools at the lowest point in the interior.This explains why my technician replaced the liftgate gasket, because it looks like it was leaking."

·
Registered
47 Posts
A year ago there was somebody in the Facebook group whose dealer was initially stumped by this problem but eventually found that the rubber gasket on one of the hinges of the rear hatch was missing. They first replaced the liftgate gasket but that didn't fix it. Here is what the service manager said when they finally did fix it: "I have identified the source of the water entry into your Pacifica. It is coming in through the left liftgate hinge where it is bolted to the roof. It left the factory missing the seal between the hinge and the roof panel. The water is then running down the interior behind the trim panel to the bottom of the liftgate opening and coming into the interior by the area of the weatherstrip. The water always pools at the lowest point in the interior.This explains why my technician replaced the liftgate gasket, because it looks like it was leaking."
Hi! Any chance you can take a picture of the gasket so I can compare it to my van to see if it is also missing? Thank you!!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hi! Any chance you can take a picture of the gasket so I can compare it to my van to see if it is also missing? Thank you!!
This is not my picture, but from somebody on the Facebook Pacifica Hybrid group. I think this picture was after it was fixed. Best to compare the hinges on the left and right sides.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just discovered the same issue with water.. Had to lift up the carpet to actually see how much water was there. Is there a recall yet? I have 2018 Pacicia touring L, not under warranty anymore.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
So we just picked up a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica about 2 month ago. We noticed that after it rained, the rear well carpet and pad were soaked. I took the carpet and pad out why we determine why and where it's leaking from. I also took apart the interior panels from the rear hatch.it's interesting because there are many small leaks. First I found that the gasket around the rear handle was leaking. I took the handle out, removed factory gasket, laid a bead of silicone and reinstalled. That fixed that leak.But the next day, it was still leaking. I got in the hatch, closed it and had my wife spray water on it from a hose. We found out that the rear glass was also leaking. I took off the "spoiler" with the upper brake light on it, and it looked like the factory robot ran out of sealant on the left side of the window as there was significantly less than on the right side. I cleaned and dried that area along the top of the rear window and again, caulked around the entire top perimeter. Next day, tried the hose again, and the rear window is no longer leaking. But there is still water getting into the rear well somehow. I'm basically noticing that all the parts/panels that are part of the rear hatch have a gasket that is not doing a great job of sealing out water, so I will this weekend take all these off and seal all with silicone. I will also inspect the hinge as pointed out above to see if this is another point of entry. To have this many points of water intrusion is ridiculous!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for sharing because the dealers are clueless with this problem. I discovered the same wetness in my 2018 hatchback and I'm over warranty. Can't afford to bring it in and have them fiddle n charge me $$$. I'm hoping a recall can n will be done since I've seen the problem with other Pacifica's finding out. The company doesn't have enough complaints to start to look into it. I think it goes undetected because i barely use the hatchback daily so I wouldn't notice water. It has been damp there but I just took it with a grain of salt thinking the kids spilled a water bottle. But my carpet was coming up so I pulled the carpet up in water was seeping from the carpet n the patting. Therefore, I think people don't realize it because the patting is going to soak up the water. Can't wait for the mold problem to start! 😔 Please update when you can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Since I wrote this I have been back to dealers and after a week said it was fixed.
Today I took it back for the 4th time. Dealer asked that I give them one more chance. My original salesman advised that I trade it out. Not sure where to go. I have a lemon law case right now.
Any updates on the leak? Any info would help. I'm in the same boat now!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
So today I took off the roof rails and I believe that I've located the Leak. It appears that there are some imperfections in the way or the type of seam sealer that Chrysler used on the rear of the Pacifica. You can see in the following pictures where there are holes in the sealer, or cracking that may allow for water intrusion:

I got some Seam Sealer from Napa Auto Parts and after cleaning the area thoroughly with rubbing alcohol, I applied the seal sealer to the area where the hole was, and also along the top where the original seam sealer had cracked.

The seam sealer takes about a half hour to dry so you can paint it. I decided to just apply black silicone sealant on top of it, and also all around the hinge to ensure no water gets under the hinge.

I hope this takes care of the issue. Tonight is supposed to rain, so we'll find out soon enough!

·
Registered
472 Posts
So today I took off the roof rails and I believe that I've located the Leak. It appears that there are some imperfections in the way or the type of seam sealer that Chrysler used on the rear of the Pacifica. You can see in the following pictures where there are holes in the sealer, or cracking that may allow for water intrusion:

View attachment 43065

I got some Seam Sealer from Napa Auto Parts and after cleaning the area thoroughly with rubbing alcohol, I applied the seal sealer to the area where the hole was, and also along the top where the original seam sealer had cracked.

View attachment 43066

View attachment 43067

The seam sealer takes about a half hour to dry so you can paint it. I decided to just apply black silicone sealant on top of it, and also all around the hinge to ensure no water gets under the hinge.

View attachment 43068

I hope this takes care of the issue. Tonight is supposed to rain, so we'll find out soon enough!
nice find dude. I’ll have to take a peek at mine, never noticed any water intrusion but the back seats are always down, only used once since purchased. Praying It’s all good and no water, mold, rust.

@ChryslerCares you probably should take note of this and advise your engineers that they should probably issue a technical bulletin for this.

·
Registered
4 Posts

View attachment 43065

View attachment 43066

View attachment 43067

View attachment 43068

Thank you for sharing. You did a fantastic job finding it. I wonder if that's what's wrong with mine too? We'll see what Chrysler does....

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I'm happy to report that re-sealing the holes with seam sealer above has resolved 95% of the water intrusion that was happening into the rear. At this point, I see no water in the trunk, even in very heavy rain. There is still a very small amount of water that runs down the inside of my rear hatch, and if I didn't have the panels off, I wouldn't even know it's there. It looks like it's coming in from where the rear hatch spoiler is bolted to the car, or more likely where the power wires lead to the Top brake light and the rear hatch glass washer nozzle.The foam they used for insulating these areas actually appears to soak up water and transfers it to the inside. But again, no more water in my trunk. I'll have to take the rear spoiler off and just use silicone to seal off the openings to ensure it's water tight.I'll take pics and share anything else I find or do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts