2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in NC where CarMax is piloting a program where they drive cars to you to test drive and potentially purchase. I had a Pacifica without any accident history that seemed like a good deal, and had asked them to drive it out.

Fifteen minutes before they were scheduled to arrive, I got a call telling me the check engine light had come on and they'd need to get it looked at by their mechanics and see whether or not it was a big deal.

We found a different Pacifica they were going to drive out, two hours later, same price, better paint job, I was feeling pretty good about it. I just got a call -- check engine light came on for the same problem: a wet spark plug. Both of these are 2018 Pacifica with 16k miles on them.

I thought I wanted a Pacifica, and the price seemed pretty reasonable for used, but the universe seems to be telling me something...

I don't have a code to give you, I can tell you both were 2018 Pacifica Limiteds.

Has anyone else run into that error? Is this as common as it appears to have been for me?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I live in NC where CarMax is piloting a program where they drive cars to you to test drive and potentially purchase. I had a Pacifica without any accident history that seemed like a good deal, and had asked them to drive it out.

Fifteen minutes before they were scheduled to arrive, I got a call telling me the check engine light had come on and they'd need to get it looked at by their mechanics and see whether or not it was a big deal.

We found a different Pacifica they were going to drive out, two hours later, same price, better paint job, I was feeling pretty good about it. I just got a call -- check engine light came on for the same problem: a wet spark plug. Both of these are 2018 Pacifica with 16k miles on them.

I thought I wanted a Pacifica, and the price seemed pretty reasonable for used, but the universe seems to be telling me something...

I don't have a code to give you, I can tell you both were 2018 Pacifica Limiteds.

Has anyone else run into that error? Is this as common as it appears to have been for me?
I'm not a mechanic and live in a dry climate, but it seems a bit odd to me to say that a check engine light came on for a wet spark plug. Did they hose off the engine? The universe may be telling you to buy from someone else. I haven't read about vans having wet spark plug issues.

I have had a check engine light come on around 30,000 miles that wasn't supposed to be a big deal and I could drive the van until convenient to bring in since it was a small evap leak (that brought up a code). In my case, it was fixed by replacing a part once I took the van in. I wouldn't buy a van with the check engine light on since you don't really know what the repair may require.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They were taking both vans back to the dealership for repairs, but thats a fair point -- shopping around for a different source of used Pacificas is probably the way to go.

·
Registered
343 Posts
There is no error code for "wet spark plug" - follow up with them - was it a misfire? How did they determine plug was wet? What was it wet with? Oil? Unburned gas? Water on ignition wires should not cause a misfire, you should be able to drive in a teeming downpour.
Ask for the specific error code and look it up on internet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts