2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

Title is Question 1 for those of you who did your research ( or not :smile2:) what made you choose, and purchase, the Chrysler Pacifica over other minivans like the the Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey, Kia Sedona etc. I'm just starting the search and really like the style of the Pacifica and the stow-n-go seats but noticed that Chrysler doesn't rank very high in reliability. They're all about the same on MPG. I'm looking to purchase a van that will last years to come and you definitely see more old toyota's and honda's but not many Chrysler's, ya know?

EDIT: If you chose it for style and look, that's OK as well :) Just curious about what made you choose it.

Any input on what your research showed or what the deciding factor was to purchase would be great.

Question 2: How long have you had your Pacifica and are you still happy with your purchase?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Moved here after realizing it may be more fitting here?
Hello,

Title is Question 1 for those of you who did your research ( or not :smile2:) what made you choose, and purchase, the Chrysler Pacifica over other minivans like the the Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey, Kia Sedona etc. I'm just starting the search and really like the style of the Pacifica and the stow-n-go seats but noticed that Chrysler doesn't rank very high in reliability. They're all about the same on MPG. I'm looking to purchase a van that will last years to come and you definitely see more old toyota's and honda's but not many Chrysler's, ya know? Any input on what your research showed or what the deciding factor was to purchase would be great.

Question 2: How long have you had your Pacifica and are you still happy with your purchase?

EDIT: If you chose it for style and look, that's OK as well :) Just curious about what made you choose it.
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Can't speak as a Chrysler owner (although growing up we had a 1967 Plymouth Belvedere), and my research was Consumer Reports and my and others' experiences. In my 56 years I've only needed four cars (Toyotas), and they were driven hard. The fourth is a 2017 incredibly well equipped, bottom of the line (no chrome, but standard aluminum wheels) Sienna for $29.1K cash. Killer, sleeper ride.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For our usage the stow and go was pretty much the deal maker. At 18000 miles I am beginning to hate that decision! Vehicle has spent about thee weeks in the shop as of today to repair factory electronic defects! The latest repair is ongoing and in its second week!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Many things
1- the most confortable,
2- interior design and quality,
3- Stow and Go
4- ACC with Stop and Go
5- Space in the 3rd row
6- Noise cancellation

In my case the only time the Pacifica has been in the dealer it has been because of two minor accidents. Other than that it's working as a charm at 4500 miles. knocking on wood that it continues in that way. I have been comparing the reliability against the competition and it's not better at all.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I owned a 1989 Dodge Grand Caravan and a 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager. Both were reasonably trouble free for 100+k miles except the Dodge had a known design defect resulting in the transmission being replaced under warranty at 60,000 miles. I would have purchased another Chrysler mini van in 2007 but was completely turned off by the uncomfortable 2nd row stow-n-go seats. So I started looking elsewhere and purchased a Honda Odyssey. The Honda was also reasonably trouble free but no better than the Dodge and Plymouth. There were recalls and minor glitches.

When it came time to replace the 2007 Honda in 2016, I looked for another Honda but was turned off by the body style. With the promise of a new body style in the 2017 model, I waited. The new design was delayed until 2018 but early looks were just as bad as the 2017, in my opinion. I also did not like the "tablet stuck on the dash" look of Honda's infotainment system. So it was the style of the Honda that drove me away to the Pacifica.

The very first thing I did when I went to see the Pacifica in person was to try the 2nd row seats. The comfort was much improved and adequate. Given all the other features, comfort, drivability , etc. of the Pacifica, the decision was easy. I've owned mine for 16 months and would not hesitate to buy another.

By the way, I never gave much benefit to the 2nd row stow-n-go. Removing the 2nd row seats on previous vans was not that difficult. I did it when needed without complaint. Now that I have stow-n-go, I would not want to have a van without it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
@needavan, for us this is are 5th Chrysler mini van (we lease). Our experience with the vans has been up to this point fantastic. I hope I don't jinx myself, but up to this point we have had pretty much zero problems with any of them, other than a minor issue here and there. Our 2017 Pacifica Touring-L has by far been the best handling, comfortable, quiet (zero rattles, cabin noise), and most attractive. I throughly enjoy getting in and driving it on a daily basis (18K plus miles). Three hundred-fifty mile trip yesterday, at 75 MPH (w/cruise aver 30.9 MPG Hwy), then when we got to our destination we did some running around locally, which brought it down to 28.6 overall after I put it back in the garage last evening. My take on issues with the vehicle is that the more gadgets you have, the more that can go wrong. Not knocking any of it, but in our situation we don't need it. The only option we added was the 8.4 Uconnect, w/Nav capability, so we did download the NAV after we got it. One other thing I would have done differently would have been to go with the larger wheels, just to make it that much more quiet, and improve on an all ready great ride.

<

Reactions: Vanman23

·
Registered
470 Posts
We have had a Toyota van, a Town and Country Van, Two Honda Odysseys and now the Pacifica. We choose it over the others due to many factors starting with the overall design and safety features. We have had our's for about a year and love it. If you read the Car and Driver Long-Term Review of the Pacifica you will find that their editors also loved the Pacifica. You can't really go wrong with any of the vans from Toyota, Honda or Chrysler ...I can't speak either way about the Kia. If you have young children the Honda has a couple of features that would appear very useful for parents. Firstly the sliding middle seat allows for some flexibility that could be useful and second the parent rear seat viewing camera may help. On the other hand the 2nd row seat slide has a rail that doesn't remove when you take that row's seats out for cargo needs. The Pacifica (gas) has the Stow N Go which not only gives you excellent seating flexibility but also gives you a flat cargo area with the seats stowed. We find the 8-seat model to be particularly configuration flexible. The Toyota has not had a redesign in a while, while the Honda design was new with the 2018 model and the Pacifica was new with the 2017 model which was first available in 2016. If you need all wheel drive, Toyota is your only choice.

·
Registered
149 Posts
As you can see in my salutation, I have always had a Dodge minivan, and never had a real bad problem with them, so reliability wasn't an issue.
When I saw the Limited, that sold it for me right there, the functionality that I was used to and all the added safety features now, it was a no brainier.
I have had it for 9 months and no problems, everything works like it should, I mean everything!!! Still learning and testing some safety features/warnings, like window washer warning..it works!
It was a bit of money but I never looked back...it truly is a great car.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Our first van, but we bought after finding out we were going to have Twins (3 kids under 2 years). We need 3 across in the 2nd row.

Toyota was out because no Android Auto.
Kia was out because no 8 passenger.

So it was down to the Honda and Chrysler. In the end the Chrysler won:
-Stow and Go
-100% Flat Floor: Honda when you remove the seats the slide system stays in there and eats floor space. You cannot get a 100% flat floor in the Odyssey.
-Better infotainment on Pacifica
-Lifetime Warranty option (we will tow, so the transmission likely will die)
-Chrysler radar-cruise works at low speeds, the Honda does not
-Cheaper

Negatives:
-No memory seats on TL+ (Honda equivalent trim has them standard)
-Fewer USB charging ports on Pacifica

In the end, I don't regret it. The radar cruise control is amazing, I even use it in city traffic (the vehicle is actually more efficient that way).

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Reactions: SciTchr

·
Registered
131 Posts
ACC is a biggie for me. ALso the Entertainment system, which 2 kids can control.

Top safety rating, check out youtube crash test. This is what sold me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
PT. 1

I did tons of research. Probably about a month's worth of research.

2018 TL+
- Stow-n-go
- Advanced Safety tech
- Safety ratings
- Entertainment System
- Price
- Looks

PT. 2

Purchased in November of 2017. I'm still satisfied. No serious issues. Entertainment system freezes on occasion. Like once every month. But, not a deal breaker. Can be fixed by shutting off the van and turning it back on. I can't complain about a 99% uptime. Ten times out of ten when I turn the key, everything works fine.

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L (9/2016 Build)
2,235 Posts
Moved here after realizing it may be more fitting here?
Hello,

Title is Question 1 for those of you who did your research ( or not :smile2:) what made you choose, and purchase, the Chrysler Pacifica over other minivans like the the Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey, Kia Sedona etc. I'm just starting the search and really like the style of the Pacifica and the stow-n-go seats but noticed that Chrysler doesn't rank very high in reliability. They're all about the same on MPG. I'm looking to purchase a van that will last years to come and you definitely see more old toyota's and honda's but not many Chrysler's, ya know? Any input on what your research showed or what the deciding factor was to purchase would be great.

Thanks!!!
I wanted to replace my 2001 Grand Caravan with another Grand Caravan, but I didn't like the recent models. When the Pacifica came out, I liked the style and how it drove.

The Stow and Go seats are nice to have. After years of taking seats out of my old van, it has been nice to be able to stow them since one of the reasons I got a van is for the ability to move stuff. It really came in helpful for moving my daughter out of a college apt after graduation. Four of us drove there in the van and then two of us returned home in her car since the van was filled.

The back up camera is a nice feature also. I wanted the roof rack already installed so at that time I had to get a Touring L or higher trim. In the Pacifica the third row center seat shoulder belt is stored in the ceiling out of the way when not in use. There is a conversation mirror that comes out of the upper console for viewing the passengers in the van if needed.

I have had some software updates, but no major issues with reliability. Since it seems like we are now driving computers, I suspect that there will always be updates. If you expect perfection, you may be frustrated. Take a long test drive and be sure things are working before you leave the dealer.

I have had my van almost two years and 24,000 miles and am still happy with it. It doesn't have as many features as the higher end models, but it is sufficient for my needs.

The forum is also helpful. There are some other threads comparing the Pacifica to other vans if you use the search feature.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Stow and Go seats! All other vans made do not have this feature. If true versatility is what you are looking for this is the van to get. We have had our 2018 Pacifica Touring Plus S package for around 3 months and just rolled over 4,000 miles averaging 23.7 mpg, and so far it has been wonderful! Highly recommend the Pacifica!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I like the Honda vans and the Chrysler vans. We recently replaced our 2013 Honda Odyssey. We were able to get more equipment we really wanted in the Chrysler, and the dealer is closer with a more friendly/less annoying service department than our Honda dealer had. I have experience dealing with the Chrysler dealer from our other van, my 2011 Town and Country. Our 2011 has been a decent van with a few minor issues(mostly brakes), but only one "major" repair to the A/C . It now has 130K miles on it and I plan on keeping it awhile longer.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I did tons of research, multiple back to back test drives, and even waited six months for a decision. Afterwards the Pacifica came out on top and I ordered it.
For me it was the entire design excellence, luxury feel and touches, quite ride, more advanced technology as compared to the competition, online support from Chrysler cares, lifetime warranty, lesser overall cost, and last but not the least- stunning looks.
Yes the Japanese brands are slightly better in long term reliability but we hope the Pacifica will turn things around for FCA.

I see that you’ve made another duplicate thread as well with the same title. May be mods need to merge these two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mortgage renewal - Auto renewal

Hi
It was July of 2016. I thought that I would buy a new car when my mortgage came up for renewal, then I would add the car loan to the mortgage for one easy payment. I had a 2011 Town and Country with 176,000 km to trade. At this time I did not participate in any forums but I heard through the grapevine that they stopped making the Town and Country. I had no trouble with the Town and Country but I wanted a new van with a new warranty that I could incorporate into my mortgage. I thought about Toyota and Honda but I never really liked the design of them and I wanted something more luxurious. So I started to consider SUVs like the Lincoln MKX. I never got a chance to look at any new vehicles because an add caught my eye about the new Pacifica on TV. The next day I went to my Chrysler dealership where I did service on my Town and Country to look at the Pacifica. There was a Red Velvet Pearl Limited version with every option. It was love at first sight. 4 days later I drove it off the lot. Its now 2 years later and I have 49,200 km on the odometer. Only one thing has gone wrong and that was the replacement of the front passenger window motor. when I closed it it would reverse half way up and re-open. After a couple of tries it would close. The motor was replaced under warranty. Other than that, it has been perfect. The summer of 2017 I drove it on an 8,100 km voyage from Toronto, Ontario to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and back, with a lot of sight seeing on the way. It was a 16 day trip and the van performed perfectly. It was hard not to continually drive at 160 kph because the highways on the prairies are so flat and straight. The Pacifica even fully loaded as we were was smooth, quiet and stable. I really like this van.

Attachments

Reactions: CentralFla

·
Registered
292 Posts
@Po201, for 2 years old (I'm assuming it's a current pic) it looks factory fresh. Oh, and nice choice of color. Very sharp.

<

1 - 20 of 46 Posts