2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm a current Tesla Model S owner as well as a CPHEV owner. Once the RIVIAN comes out I'll likely be trading in my Model S. It will be a while for my Rivian. I just made a video about fining out where you are in the Pre-Order line. I'm curious what other EV's you guys have in your garage? Any other RIVIAN pre-order holders?

Find out your RIVIAN Pre-Order Number

Cheers!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Will be following this thread with interest! Love our PacHy and, if we get a second car, it will be a full EV. Hard to sort through all the vehicles out there. Definitely looking for the most cost-effective route in.

Reactions: DetachedGarage

·
Registered
559 Posts
No other EV right now. My other car is a 1 ton diesel for pulling our 5th wheel.

We're going full electric with our next one in around 4 years. Right now we are looking at a Model Y vs a Mach E. We're wanting something with some roominess and around 300 miles range.

Unless they come out with a full electric Pacifica with 300ish miles of range, which seems unlikely.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Touring, 3/20 build, VIN 204318, Velvet Red Pearl
41 Posts
See my signature for list. Any other hydrogen fuel cell drivers here? Both our Chevy Volt and Honda Clarity Fuel Cell leases have a year to go. Not sure what will replace them. Electrified for sure. Really like the PacHy! Now in third day of ownership.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We're on the hunt for a nissan leaf as our second vehicle. I was actually sure that we'd end up getting the leaf first with the recall making it sound like the pacifica wouldn't be ready until fall. But here we are...now focusing attention on hunting for a leaf. We have the specifications all picked out and now it's just a matter of waiting for the right one to pop-up on all my trackers...carvana, carmax, edmunds, autotraders, cargurus... we'll see when it happens. No real rush since we're not driving much...but ready to trade out our junkers to something from this century lol.

@pleckerling - I've been watching electric car youtubes for about a year trying to narrow in our focus on our plan. We also were looking for the most cost-effective option and that's how we settled on the leaf. It also has been around "a long time" so there's some reliability and performance data already out there. Consumer reports also ranks pretty high. You can pick up a 2015 leaf for ~10K. With back-up camera, heated seats, etc. The range isn't amazing, but if your commute is relatively small it could do the trick. We also heavily targeted the Kia Soul EV, but Kia doesn't have EV techs in every major city. We're in a state capital and would have to have it towed 4 hours to another state that has an EV tech. So that really ruled it out for us. Our local nissan dealer has EV techs and comfort with leafs, so it would make the ownership more enjoyable. I was really not sure about the leaf at first because... I don't know, the look? But I've really gotten used to it and see the other benefits of it. And also now I'm driving a minivan, so...can't be too judgy about stigma lol.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The LEAF is a very nice car. Avoid 2013 as that is the first year of US production and they had issues. A 2011 or 2012 (Japanese made) which has had its battery replaced is the holy grail of Gen 1 LEAFs. If not too small, the Chevy Spark EV is a good choice. It has a liquid cooled battery which is a huge advantage over the LEAF. The LEAF and the Spark EV were available with DC fast charging. The Fiat 500e is also one to consider if it's not too small and you don't need fast charging.

Reactions: Meerkat85

·
Super Moderator
1,984 Posts
Xiaomi M365
Segway Ninebot ES4
BMW i3
My motorcycle is the last remaining gas only vehicle in the house, and I don't see it going electric any time soon.

·
Registered
103 Posts
We had to replace another car earlier last year, and could not wait for the new 2020 models, so we got the 2019 Chevy Bolt, still with a reasonable 238 mile range, but it got bumped up a little for the 2020 models. We got the more budget trim level without all the bells and whistles, it is a great commuter. My wife drives it primarily, and they have a free level 2 charging station at her work building, though we are both telecommuting these days.

We share one ChargePoint level 2 charger at home. The longer cable version we have can reach either car when parked in front of the garage, which we no longer park inside since we have turned it into a home gym.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I used to leased 2017 Kia Soul EV and recently returned.
Since I have 2 chargers installed in my garage, I was hunting for other EV.
I didn't want a luxury one, so here is the list of candidates...

Tesla model 3: gov tax incentive is gone and build quility is so so.
Chevy Bolt: same, no tax incentive. Also no power seat.
BMW i3: no power seat. (Power seat is must for me)
Nissan Leaf: same
Hyundai Kona: relatively expensive for such small car.
Hyundai Ioniq EV: lower EV range bit it was ok for me. Cheap and so many great functions. This was my favorite but wife said too ugly. Yes... It is ugly.
Kia Niro EV: great functions too. This was my choice, 2020 year version.

But finally, i got really great deal with Volvo S60, and my wife really liked the look and interior.
I went by S60, ICE car for now.
One of my ev charger is not in use.
I may get Mustang Mach or other upcoming EV later.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We just have the Pacifica Hybrid and my 2010 Subaru Outback As much as I'm itching to get a new car, I probably want a PHEV or full EV, there's so many new options always on the horizon. The Mustang Mach-E and Toyota RAV4-Prime are very promising.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been driving a Prius since 2010. That's what led my wife to the Pacifica Hybrid. My wife is itching for the hybrid Jeep whenever it arrives. We have 3 boys, the oldest just hit 15, so the Prius is probably headed his way in a year or two. However, his first "driving test" is being able to reliably tell his 8 year old twin brothers apart. Kid can name every type of light saber used by every Jedi in the history of Star Wars and can't tell his brothers apart! You think I'm letting him drive? I'll have to go find him every time he goes somewhere new!

But I digress. I'm partial to the newer Prius plug-ins. We still don't have power to our garage (new home), so we use the slow charger on an exterior outlet right now. We'll see where we go in the future.....

Great thread!

·
Registered
289 Posts
We've had an EV since 2015. It was a Ford Focus EV. It had a very short range, but reliable. We replaced that with the PacHy in 2018. I also got a Prius Prime in 2018. It has a shorter electric range than the PacHy and slower, but gets 50 MPG when on gas. I replaced that with a 40 kWh Leaf in 2019. It now has 41,000 miles and lost about 10% of battery capacity. I would not recommend a Leaf in hotter climates. I love not having to do certain maintenance items that you have to do with an ICE. The only problems I've had with EVs is the 12V battery don't last long. I've had to replace it under warranty with each EV. I'm not sure what my next vehicle will be. Tesla Model 3 is a little too much, don't like the glass roof and touch controls. The Nissan Ariya and VW ID 4 look promising, but it's a year away.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The LEAF is a very nice car. Avoid 2013 as that is the first year of US production and they had issues. A 2011 or 2012 (Japanese made) which has had its battery replaced is the holy grail of Gen 1 LEAFs. If not too small, the Chevy Spark EV is a good choice. It has a liquid cooled battery which is a huge advantage over the LEAF. The LEAF and the Spark EV were available with DC fast charging. The Fiat 500e is also one to consider if it's not too small and you don't need fast charging.
Great tip on the years... right now we're targeting a 2015 or ideally a 2016. We are hoping for the 30 KW battery that will then under warranty get replaced with a 40KW while we own it. Dare to dream. But I may expand our search to include 2011 or 12 with decent battery. Wouldn't mind saving a buck to go a little older...it would only be driven 5 miles a day!

And agreed - this is a fun thread! @GlenP - love that Bolt! If we waited a few more years we might be able to get a bolt or a kona more in our price range... or trade out the leaf. We'll see. We've gotten our first taste of electric and love it!

Reactions: GlenP

·
Registered
39 Posts
We've had an EV since 2015. It was a Ford Focus EV. It had a very short range, but reliable. We replaced that with the PacHy in 2018. I also got a Prius Prime in 2018. It has a shorter electric range than the PacHy and slower, but gets 50 MPG when on gas. I replaced that with a 40 kWh Leaf in 2019. It now has 41,000 miles and lost about 10% of battery capacity. I would not recommend a Leaf in hotter climates. I love not having to do certain maintenance items that you have to do with an ICE. The only problems I've had with EVs is the 12V battery don't last long. I've had to replace it under warranty with each EV. I'm not sure what my next vehicle will be. Tesla Model 3 is a little too much, don't like the glass roof and touch controls. The Nissan Ariya and VW ID 4 look promising, but it's a year away.
I think Leaf is air-cooled battery system, not like pachy.
My Soul EV was same, the initial full charge range was 114 miles but it was down to 70 miles when I returned 3 years later. It was also air-cooled system.

The BMS is getting better, so current EVs will be ok with that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Been driving a Prius since 2010. That's what led my wife to the Pacifica Hybrid. My wife is itching for the hybrid Jeep whenever it arrives. We have 3 boys, the oldest just hit 15, so the Prius is probably headed his way in a year or two. However, his first "driving test" is being able to reliably tell his 8 year old twin brothers apart. Kid can name every type of light saber used by every Jedi in the history of Star Wars and can't tell his brothers apart! You think I'm letting him drive? I'll have to go find him every time he goes somewhere new!

But I digress. I'm partial to the newer Prius plug-ins. We still don't have power to our garage (new home), so we use the slow charger on an exterior outlet right now. We'll see where we go in the future.....

Great thread!
Hi--we too have a 2010 Prius, bought new here in Davis, California. Our daughters learned to drive in it. The younger one went off to college in New York two years ago and took the Prius. It's been a great car. Don't know if it will ever get back home. Depends where her schooling takes her.

·
Registered
41 Posts
We had to replace another car earlier last year, and could not wait for the new 2020 models, so we got the 2019 Chevy Bolt, still with a reasonable 238 mile range, but it got bumped up a little for the 2020 models. We got the more budget trim level without all the bells and whistles, it is a great commuter. My wife drives it primarily, and they have a free level 2 charging station at her work building, though we are both telecommuting these days.

We share one ChargePoint level 2 charger at home. The longer cable version we have can reach either car when parked in front of the garage, which we no longer park inside since we have turned it into a home gym.

View attachment 44210
Love the Green Mist on a Bolt. You don't see many of them that color.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts