2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,. Just curious what engine oil and filter you all are using and why. Currently changed my factory fill at about 1000 miles with penzoil ultra Platinum and a premium fram filter element.
Oil change was extremely easy thanks in part to the fantastic write up on another thread. I made sure to buy oil of the specified viscosity that meets the Chrysler standard in order to ensure warranty compliance. I got the most expensive FRAM filter they sell, because 'merica..... Anyone have input?

·
Registered
487 Posts
A good full synthetic oil and a good filter are what matters, and you reach that bar.
I am a fan of Mobil1 and K&N, but I admit that is probably me being taken in by marketing.

I do challenge anyone about synthetic "blends" - WHY? I have yet to see what % of a blend is the synthetic - 2 drops per quart?
There is no debate - synthetic oil is superior to conventional oil - yes, it costs a bit more, but it does the job better.

Fram was once a well-respected brand - it has been sold long ago and now their low-end filters are cheap crap, but their top line filters are okay.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Quality Oil Filters

A good full synthetic oil and a good filter are what matters, and you reach that bar.
I am a fan of Mobil1 and K&N, but I admit that is probably me being taken in by marketing.

I do challenge anyone about synthetic "blends" - WHY? I have yet to see what % of a blend is the synthetic - 2 drops per quart?
There is no debate - synthetic oil is superior to conventional oil - yes, it costs a bit more, but it does the job better.

Fram was once a well-respected brand - it has been sold long ago and now their low-end filters are cheap crap, but their top line filters are okay.
I have seen many reports over the years of damage to motorcycles from the use of cheap oil filters. I am perplexed by people who install the cheapest filter possible in an expensive motor vehicle. In the past some major engine failures were denied warranty coverage because a substandard filter was used. If I were changing oil myself, I would use a K&N or an OEM filter. IMO, these hot running engines deserve the best oil and filters available...and i lease my cars.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I buy my filters for ~12 at the dealer just before each oil change to have a paper trail in the dealer's computer system and then I go elsewhere to get whatever synthetic is on sale and meets Chrysler MS6395. I do kinda like the concept of a synthetic oil made from natural gas but that might be successful marketing programming and I haven’t done deep research (yet). I still change my oil more often than the recommended 10K because “old habits” and although I do trust synthetic oil I just don’t yet trust the oil filter (but, so far, the old oil filters look great so I might change my mind on that). I also tend to check battery, tires, air filters, coolant, wiper fluid, clean throttle body, etc., only during oil changes and like to do the fluids more often than 10K.

Reactions: sjambok

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hey all,. Just curious what engine oil and filter you all are using and why. Currently changed my factory fill at about 1000 miles with penzoil ultra Platinum and a premium fram filter element.
Oil change was extremely easy thanks in part to the fantastic write up on another thread. I made sure to buy oil of the specified viscosity that meets the Chrysler standard in order to ensure warranty compliance. I got the most expensive FRAM filter they sell, because 'merica..... Anyone have input?
That's what I would buy for my Pacifica. Pennzoil ultra synthetic and the Fram ultra synthetic filter. Did you get 0w20? Did you get the 5qt or 1qt bottle and how much?

FYI, the regular Mobil 1 synthetic doesn't meet Mopar's specs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think my total out the door at Walmart was about 40 bucks. I like the idea of oil filter from the dealer to keep a paper trail of changes. I keep a ledger, but that would just support my documentation should they need it. While I was a big fan of mobile 1, sadly they have not paid to have their oil certified up to Chrysler spec. I'm sure it meets or exceeds, but without the stamp it doesn't matter. I think mobile super synthetic is certified by Chrysler though.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I went with Pennzoil ultra platinum as it was on sale, but it also meets Chrysler's spec. I've had good experience with Mobil1 and Castrol synthetic in other vehicles.

Similar to @BrettP I bought mopar filters from the dealer to make sure I'm compliant with warranty and protection plan. I paid closer to $10 at the dealer, maybe b/c I bought a case of them.

I was happily surprised that I could drain the oil underneath without jacking it up.

I'll also change more frequently than 10k...probably 6-7k...

·
Super Moderator
585 Posts
I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-20 and the mopar filter with an oil extractor. Takes 6 quarts to change the oil and change at 8,5000-9,000 mile intervals. Have slightly over 41,000 miles on my 2017 Touring L, and never have added oil after change.
Should be 5 quarts per the manual ?*♂

See attachment if you don’t wanna take my word for it ?

Attachments

Reactions: DoninDel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mobil 1 or Amsoil, and a quality replacement, Fram or Purolator. Never had an issue on many different cars and uses, from commuter mini van to enduro road racing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did mine without ramps and it was easier than it has been for many years. It used to be easy to change oil on cars, but then they kept getting lower, and ramps became mandatory. I would have taken it to dealer, but he wanted $90!!!! and they actually asked if I wanted full synthetic!!! I yelled, no, I bought a $35,000 car and want to use crap oil - isn't synthetic called for?? WHY wouldn't you use synthetic. I changed at 5,000 miles, and will change at every 5,000 miles - you can never hurt anything by changing oil frequently, only by not changing it frequently enough.
As far as I know there are only 2 types of 0w20. Synthetic Blend and Full Synthetic. I don’t think I have ever seen the blend on a shelf. I can’t imagine there’s a significant cost difference. That’s just marketing making it sound fancy to take more of your cash.

Costco and Walmart both have 0w20 full synthetic for about $14 for a 5 quart bottle. Both made by Warren labs. Watch for sales at Costco and you can get it for $25 for 10 quarts.
It’s good stuff.

·
Registered
White 2020 touring + S - 20" tires -all black inside
61 Posts
I used to buy hundreds of filters a year, I dont like Fram filters, study's prove they are an inferior filter.
The Chrysler OEM was 9.00 on Ebay with free shipping.
The oil came out of the pacifica just fine with the ramps

·
Registered
55 Posts
I used to buy hundreds of filters a year, I dont like Fram filters, study's prove they are an inferior filter.
I’m not a fan of Fram too but I never had one fail. I have had a WIX filter fail - seal/gasket would not hold oil in - my first ever oil leak on my driveway.

My Pacifica is a lease - so for me it doesn’t matter too much what I use. XG11665 is rated for 20k miles full synthetic. Works for me :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
As far as I know there are only 2 types of 0w20. Synthetic Blend and Full Synthetic. I don’t think I have ever seen the blend on a shelf. I can’t imagine there’s a significant cost difference. That’s just marketing making it sound fancy to take more of your cash.

Costco and Walmart both have 0w20 full synthetic for about $14 for a 5 quart bottle. Both made by Warren labs. Watch for sales at Costco and you can get it for $25 for 10 quarts.
It’s good stuff.
Why would anybody settle for a blend??? I have NEVER seen a blend saying what % is synthetic - 2 drops per quart??? NOT INTERESTED.

Reactions: craig

·
Registered
55 Posts
Also, I looked at the Costco (Kirkland) synthetic oil, but was unable to confirm that it is MS-6395 certified. Is it?
To me - MS-6395 is a recommendation as long as I use an API 0w20 I’ll be fine. I had an engine failed due to motor oil, never.

It’s like my Honda / Acura’s stating they recommend only using Honda Motor Oil.

As long as the oil is changed at regular intervals everything will be alright. Besides this is a lease so I really don’t care what happens after I give it back.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
MS-6395 is an internal FCA specification. It is not different or better than other manufacturers' internal specifications. Just go with any synthetic SAE 0W-20 oil that meets the API SERVICE SN or SP standard. (The previous SM standard is not recommended for engines built after 2010.) This API (American Petroleum Institute) emblem really all you need to check.

1597939108668.png

Reactions: Localbar

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a 1996 Chevy S-10 four cylinder that I traded in that had 221,000 on it with only needing a water pump. I used this truck to pull a boat. I only used FRAM oil filters. I beat the heck out of that truck
I'm driving a 2003 S-10 ZR2 with a six cylinder and 216,000 on it. Used FRAM oil filters. It's rusted to heck but runs like a charm.
FRAM oil filters are proven for me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here you go !
No Fram filters for me....
The Fram Ultra’s are fine. In my earlier days I used the standard FRAMs, never had a problem
I have been using supertech filters on former odyssey and I use them on my golf cart. surprisingly decent filters.

I was a loyal WIX user until that was the only filter to ever fail me, I reached out to them and they did squat!!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts