2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering having the windows in the Pacifica tinted and the windshield included, those of you who have done that, have you noticed a big reduction in heat inside the van?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did it. I first tinted the top, sides and rear. That made a huge difference. A month later I thought “I should spend more money on this questionable car” and did the windshield. Iirc, it was 15%. The same high end ceramic-nano-particle-dihydrogen-monoxide-polysorbate 80 tint I had on all the other windows. It did make a small difference here in Hotlanta over the summer. In retrospect, I’m not sure the cost-benefit was there for me. Would I would do it again? No. At least not on a minivan.

I still can’t believe you double downed on a 2020. Smh.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reactions: craig and AndyT

·
Super Moderator
2,003 Posts
I wouldn't tint the windshield- it compromises the night vision and the film creates subtle distortions. I had my front door windows tinted. The installer recommended a dark tint to match the rest of the van. I think it was 20%- two shades darker than the legal limit. The tint turned out even a touch darker than the rest of the van. The heat protection is amazing, I can hardly feel the sun. The night vision- not so much, especially in bad weather. Should've gone one shade lighter, it would still have great heat rejection.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Me either! 217 trouble free miles so far...
Well, I do wish you good luck with that one. Also I just realized I said 15% on the tiny. I meant 85% light transmission. I haven’t had any issues whatsoever with night driving or distortion. I live in the sticks and occasionally find myself driving home after dark and visibility has been perfect.

·
Registered
23 Posts
XPEL Prime XR Plus 20% all around (and over factory tint) and 70% on the entire windshield. 95 degree in Miami, Fl (feels like 105) and I can have both A/C's on 2 and be good. Looking out of the sides can be slightly more difficult, don't even notice the front. They did accidentally put 35% on the windshield, instead of 70, when I tinted it. I kept it for a couple days to see if I would like it. Looked amazing, but that was a pain looking through all the time. I have been tinting my entire windshields for years and only noticed distortion using cheap films. That is why this tint job was $600.

·
Registered
211 Posts
This is covered on other tint threads, but I also did the windshield (70%) with a good ceramic. 35% all around. No optics issues. As mentioned here, the gain is the massive reduction of infrared heat. You simply don't feel the sun's heat on your skin which is enjoyable and helps you feel cooler while driving. Worth the money IMO. In fact I went ahead and did another car too. The benefit of the van's tinted windshield is that it's huge which makes a larger impact as it let's in a lot of light & heat normally. On the other hand, if you let the van sit outside and bake in the sun all day, it'll be just about as hot as non-tinted. Tint also helps block UV rays and keep glass together in an accident if you need any other justification

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah my Lexus is tinted all around (no windshield) with 40% F1 Stratos ceramic, which makes a huge difference, I've just never had a windshield tinted before. I would imagine distortions and all have a lot to do with the quality of installer. The windshield on the Pacifica is so big, and the dash is black and soaks up heat, I think it would help. My installer is an extra $300 to tint the windshield, leaning towards doing that.. I'll keep everybody posted.

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, Ocean Blue w/ Mocha interior, AST, Tri-panoroof, UTheater
139 Posts
Steve. as you know, myself and @thetruthkc both had it done with 70% transmission. I had Xpel Prime XR+ and he had Solarguard VortexIR (installed by AAPP and Winners, respectively). When comparing them side by side (which we did briefly) his seemed a little darker, but then my dash is brown and his is black. He also seems to have more issues with polarized sunglasses and rainbowing than I do (or maybe I'm old and my eyes aren't as good). Neither film has any haze from oncoming headlights, which I guess is a problem with some older or less expensive films.

Also, don't forget the sunroofs if you've got 'em. I can leave the shade open all day and no one back there complains of baking anymore.

Reactions: SWPacLim

·
Registered
2018 TL+ Built April 2018, Dark Cardovan Pearl w/S package, hands free
94 Posts
We haven't had ours tinted yet, but thinking about it. I have pretty dark tint on our other car. Here in Maryland (and I'm sure most states) you can get a medical waiver to have darker than what the law states, which is different for different states.

I told the doctor bright lights give me migraines and he filled out the 30 second form which I have to keep a copy of in the glovebox. Coincidentally, I've never been pulled over for tint, and it's never even been mentioned when I've been pulled over for speeding....go figure. (It's rare that I get pulled over, once in the last 5 years I think).

From what I understand, no matter what medical waiver you get, by law you're not supposed to be able to tint the front at all. I know people do, but I'm just stating what the law is here in Maryland. So basically I could have 1% on all the windows except the front and still be legal (I believe our other car is 15% and 22% or something, can't remember).

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I actually got pulled over for 30% tint in my Lexus (legal limit is 35%). I had to tear off $700 worth of ceramic tint, and re-tint it for another $700 plus the $200 to remove it. Replaced it with 40%. I was amazed I got stopped.

Maryland allows 35% all around, but nothing on the windshield below the AS-1 marker

·
Registered
94 Posts
So I actually got pulled over for 30% tint in my Lexus (legal limit is 35%). I had to tear off $700 worth of ceramic tint, and re-tint it for another $700 plus the $200 to remove it. Replaced it with 40%. I was amazed I got stopped.

Maryland allows 35% all around, but nothing on the windshield below the AS-1 marker
YIKES! That was a bad day. I'm not sue if you could of gotten a waiver after the fact? I'd say not, but that's an assumption.

When we bought our other car it was used and already came with tint. The guy at the inspection station said I had to tear it off. I didn't want to do that just to add it later so I went to the doctor and he said he never heard of such a thing and never filled one out. I had to pull it up on Google to prove it, then after some convincing to the doctor take the waiver to the state police (obviously pre Covid) and get them to sign off, and then take it to the MD state inspection. The inspector said in his 25 years he had never seen that, lol. It was a little to jump through, but saved a good chunk of money and I'm free to tint whatever I want. The waiver is good for that vehicle ONLY, so technically I would have to get another filled out for another vehicle, but with the "condition" listed in my records I don't think it would be an issue. Also "technically" my wife could get a citation for driving the car with more tint as the waiver states it's only valid for me driving in that vehicle, but I can't see how an officer would enforce that if he saw the waiver and she has my last name.....but it's possible. I just don't think they could ask it to be removed.

The only reason I knew about it is because I have friends in Delaware that did the same thing with the medical waiver. They said everyone over there does it, and then I had friends in Florida who say it's almost a given when you buy a car down there.

I do have a buddy who just got his truck tinted in MD including the front. I'll be interested to see how that plays out for him, but I would imagine at some point he'll get nailed.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The windshield tint they use is so light a cop would never know. Now, if you ran around with the windshield tinted at 35%, they would nail you.

To me its also I just don't want to be harassed, so I'm going to keep the tint darkness legal.

The other part of it was, your car has tinted glass already, so they always meter a little but lower. So my 40% metered at 34.8%. The first shop I took it to to be metered wouldn't clear it, so I faced tearing it off again! I found another shop who's meter didnt go to decimals, so it metered 35.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't know what my buddies front is tinted at, but it's very obvious. I can't imagine it'll last long.

My experience in the 3 years I've had the car, even with the darker than legal tint, is I've never been harrassed. So even if I did get pulled over and harrassed this month, odds are it wouldn't happen again for a long time. But for me it's legal, I just have to show the paper.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got pulled over by a CHiP in California (a long time ago) for front window tint. The COP made me tear it off right on the side of the highway.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I got pulled over by a CHiP in California (a long time ago) for front window tint. The COP made me tear it off right on the side of the highway.
I don't know if that's legal, but he sounds like an ass****.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah what I got was a service notice, not even a ticket. I had to have it fixed and passed by an inspection station and then mail that in.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have all the side and rear windows tinted on my van. Nothing on the windshield. I live in Texas, it gets a little bit hot here. I wanted to reduce the time required for the ac to cool the van after sitting in the sun. The all around tint makes a significant, albeit subjective, difference.

I’m too frugal to pop for a top line tint. I have middle of the line Llumar metalized tint. It has decent heat rejection numbers. I initially went in looking just to have the driver & passenger window tinted. The shop talked me into doing the whole van because the factory tint, even though it is fairly dark, has minimal IR rejection and so-so UV blocking. Even though I assume they are trying to sell tint, it does make a significant difference. Cost was about $250 for the entire van, job took perhaps 90 minutes to complete.

Texas is perhaps a bit more lenient on the legal side. IIRC we are required to have 35% transmissibility on the driver/passenger windows, nothing on the windshield (below the line), and no regulations or limitations on other windows. So it’s pretty much limo tint back there, but that’s OK, it provides some good privacy.

I don’t tint the windshield. With my luck Murphys law would kick in and I’d take a stone hit the following week. Instead I use a custom fit sunshade when parked - one of those big silver things. It makes a significant difference in comfort, the dash and front seats do not heat up nearly as much when parked. Cost was about $35 from Amazon.

My $0.02.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah the metalized tint isn't giving you a ton of heat rejection, ceramic tint would be a big difference. What I would do is tint the factory tinted windows & moonroof with the same "clear" ceramic film I would use on the windshield so they don't get made any darker, and tint the front two windows the legal limit (35%)

Reactions: panoguy

·
Super Moderator
2,003 Posts

You are probably too close to DC :) I live near Baltimore and never bothered to install the front tag on my other car. Police here doesn't care.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts