2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why Pacifica over Odyssey and Sienna (limited, Touring, Premium Limited):

'18 Oddyssey Touring
magic seats < stow'n go seats. Odyssey feels small in the back and very dark compare to pac where big sunroof+ and boxier size (back) makes it feel roomier. Also, quality of odyssey is questionable (just a sound of the slide doors sounds like something is wrong). But, looks odyssey > Pacifica.

'17 Sienna
Old design and missing most of the safety technologies in the current model. I just wish Pacifica had AWD option and that would be a clear win over current Sienna (even the 2018 Sienna with new front bumper design model).

'17 Pacifica
Reliability still questionable (although no issues in the first 5k miles). Interior colors need to be more kid friendly (darker). We have the brown/black interior and its holding good with kids abuse... we love our van and have no regrets of getting it. Safety tech package works great, entertainment system is awesome (even the front screen works while being parked).

my $.02

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Gas Pacifica is faster than the Ody.
Where did you hear that from? As far as I know the new Odyssey is about a second faster than the Pacifica in 0-60 tests conducted by one of the car magazines (don't remember which one). But hey... no one is going to drag race a minivan....:D

·
Registered
223 Posts
Where did you hear that from? As far as I know the new Odyssey is about a second faster than the Pacifica in 0-60 tests conducted by one of the car magazines (don't remember which one). But hey... no one is going to drag race a minivan....:D
Not sure about the Odyssey, but here's a video of the Pacifica drag racing a Sienna:
https://youtu.be/A5_RLKp5UW0?t=11m7s

There's also another video of the Pacifica beating out a Toy 86 :grin2:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I'll just add that I finally figured out the wonky styling the Odyssey has. I dutifully waited for the next gen Ody but when they finally released it, I was so disappointed with the styling and the lack of features. But mostly the styling. Couldn't figure out why Honda made such radical crease lines and added a floating roof to a mainstream model like the Ody. Then I saw a Christmas commercial advertising the Ody and Pilot. In quick glances, I couldn't tell them apart! The designers probably was afraid the Ody would look just like the Pilot. So they went out of their way to make it as unique/ugly as they could. Basically, the best looking Honda minivan is the Pilot. So Pilots drivers who don't want the stigma of driving a minivan looks like they are driving a minivan, and Ody drivers are saddled with ugly styling because of the same stigma. lol.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'll just add that I finally figured out the wonky styling the Odyssey has. I dutifully waited for the next gen Ody but when they finally released it, I was so disappointed with the styling and the lack of features. But mostly the styling. Couldn't figure out why Honda made such radical crease lines and added a floating roof to a mainstream model like the Ody. Then I saw a Christmas commercial advertising the Ody and Pilot. In quick glances, I couldn't tell them apart! The designers probably was afraid the Ody would look just like the Pilot. So they went out of their way to make it as unique/ugly as they could. Basically, the best looking Honda minivan is the Pilot. So Pilots drivers who don't want the stigma of driving a minivan looks like they are driving a minivan, and Ody drivers are saddled with ugly styling because of the same stigma. lol.
I waited too and was quite disappointed, it doesn't look good at all. At least it made my decision to get the Pacifica a lot easier :grin2:

·
Registered
187 Posts
From the outside I find the honda and toyota vans unattractive and couldn't bring myself to own one on that basis, but to each their own - beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The Kia is the only other van I could own without cringing every time I look at it or had to wash the vehicle.

Getting inside the vehicles neither one can touch the combination of practicality and features found on the Pacifica.

My personal generalization is that most people buy hondas and toyotas based on brand loyalty/comfort or on outdated notion of increased reliability with those two brands. My neighbors only buy toyotas for example - they don't work for toyota, they just feel comfortable staying with that brand...I find that boring since they don't drive anything fun from the toyota lineup and they're missing out on comparatively better vehicles, but to each their own.

I did shop across ALL vans (incl the Mercedes Metris) and concluded the Pacifica was by far the best option (all things considered). I could go into detail for reasons why, but folks in this forum have already touched on them. This post is more of another affirmation that someone's done a lot of homework and feels that the Pacifica wins.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Leaning Odyssey for Upcoming Purchase

I recently test drove both and agree with much of what been said on here. The Odyssey seems smaller in the back row, has a less interesting infotainment system, and lacks Stow and Go. The Pacifica has a great infotainment system, feels premium in the front, and has the second row that can lean back while the front seats move forward to gain access to the back with a car seat. I also like that it has adaptive cruise control at lower speeds, something the Odyssey lacks. On the other hand, for a family with three car seats and possibly another one in the future, the Odyssey is clearly better at car seats and flexibility. It has 5 front LATCH attachments and six rear attachments, so you could have a car seat in every available seat if needed. I also like the flexibility of the magic slide seats vs the stow and go. But here are the biggest reasons I am leaning Honda:

First, I am frustrated that Chrysler is no longer ordering the advanced safety tech on lower trims. I have a specific combination with the tow package I want, but I can't order it anymore. What kind of company just stops adding safety features to lower trims? I can't link to the thread discussing this issue because of my post count, but you can search on this forum "advanced-safetytec-group-not-available-any-more-new-orders." This is exactly opposite of what Honda did by making the advanced safety features available starting at the EX trim.

Second, I would like to use the LTE service, but it is not available. Somehow Chrysler has managed to mess this up also. I can't link to the thread, but you can search "LTE wifi is NOT available on 2018 Pacifica for subscription yet."

Third, the Pacifica seems to have many safety and reliability complaints already. The 2017 has 169 complaints on NHSTA. The 2018 only has 5, but it is so recently released not much time has passed to earn them. The 2018 Odyssey only has 15 complaints, and it has been around long enough to have a high number if they were coming.

Fourth, I noticed the Honda Odyssey passed the passenger side small front overlap test by the IIHS. The Pacifica wasn't tested, but I am not sure why. The Honda also scored great on the LATCH system while the Pacifica scored terribly.

I could overlook some of these issues, but Chrysler seems either incompetent or uncaring toward their customers. That is what the 2018 LTE debacle and no longer allowing ordering or the advanced safety tech package on lower trims says to me. It doesn't seem like a company I trust to buy a car from.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
The 2017 Pacifica was really a model year and a half since they intro'd it early in 2016.

The Honda Magic seat is great and all but it reduces the seating to 7 and when you remove them, the frame stay in the floor so its not flat.

·
Registered
377 Posts
We didn't even consider the Sienna because its so ancient, and that comes from being a huge Toyota guy, I've had two Toyotas and 7 Lexus sedans.

The two reasons we chose the Pacifica over the Odyssey were:

1. No surround view camera or forward view camera in the Odyssey. Really that is just inexcusable in this class and on this sort of vehicle. After having those features on our previous Kia Sedona minivan my wife refused to buy another van without them, so that killed the Odyssey outright.

2. Cost. The Odyssey is similar in MSRP cost, actually a little cheaper. However, it is very hard to get any discount off of an Odyssey, while they throw money at the Pacifica (is Chryslers way). Actual negotiated cost a similarly equipped Odyssey would have been about $10k more than we paid for the Pacifica, not worth that, especially in light of #1.

My preference would have been the Odyssey just for projected reliability, but very happy with the Pacifica.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Its surprising the Toyota didn't do a complete redo of the Sienna. They've been in lock step with the Honda Odyssey, generation for generation. Did they give up after seeing how great the Pacifica was? I heard that the reason for the delay in the current gen Odyssey was that Honda was hurting financially from the airbag debacle. Might also be the reason for the extreme cost cutting they've done on the Ody.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The reason is Toyotas new GA platform, which the next Sienna will be on, wasn't ready.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was looking for a roomier car to replace my VW GTI that would have room for my kids and large dog. Needed to be a hatch or wagon of some kind, with decent fuel economy. My work has complimentary charging so a plug-in hybrid would be a bonus.

Not much out there with those goals in mind. Volvo only has the XC90 currently available (which my wife already drive, but hers isn't the hybrid). If I could have purchased a V90 with the hybrid I probably would have spend the extra to go that route, but it isn't available in the USA (no hybrids even on the XC90 yet). EV range is also pretty short.

Thought about Audi E-tron, but was too small and too short a range.

Ford has the C-Max Energi, but that vehicle is still pretty small.

I am a fan of vans already, so when I saw the hybrid pacifica I started thinking that it could be a perfect solution. Took some test drives and now I am a very happy owner.

A little nervous about reliability, but had a Dodge Dakota Quad Cab back in the day and that truck was awesome. Hoping that I got one of the good ones on the Pacifica.

Van is very nice, with great features, drives well, and gets over 35 MPG if I am able to charge it a few times at work. Very nice open interior, so keeping my fingers crossed for minimal issues.

-T

·
Registered
282 Posts
Our reason was because it was electric. Literally the only reason we bought a Pacifica was because it was a plug-in hybrid. It's the only one on the market in the van segment. Our backup choice was a Prius V.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Our reason was because it was electric. Literally the only reason we bought a Pacifica was because it was a plug-in hybrid. It's the only one on the market in the van segment. Our backup choice was a Prius V.
Exactly the same for me. Would have considered a Model X but I like having roof racks available and you can't put them on an X because of their silly gullwing doors.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The PacHy launch in late 2016 was the trigger event that got my wife and I interested in considering a minivan. But between the production delays, stop sale, return of vehicles for the PIM issue, and the lack of communication from Chrysler throughout, we decided we wanted no part of this debacle. We shopped all the mainstream three-row vehicles on the market, and came back to a gas Pacifica Limited. Sometimes I wish we waited out the troubles with the hybrid, but we're happy with what we got.

I'm surprised there aren't more PHEV crossovers on the market. Personally, I wouldn't touch a Tesla with a barge pole.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had my Sienna for 15 years, bought in Oct 2002 new. Drove awesome, lasted forever, only had 110K miles when I traded it in. The little things were starting to really go wrong though like 3 door handles in 3 months, then 4K in repairs that last year, and I was just waiting for more at that point.

I only considered the Odyssey and Sienna initially. Then while looking the 3rd of the big 3 was always the Pacifica. Then I realized it was the only one to stow the 2nd row... I HATED pulling the seats out of my Toyota. I rarely needed to, I always left them out, but when I did need them just a PITA. Then I saw the S appearance package and started looking at Pacificas.

The Toyota is too old. I want some new tech. I'm sure its the most reliable but thats because its from 2011. After 7 years I hope they worked the bugs out LOL.

The Odyssey was my 2nd choice, and occasionally 1st. I was concerned about Chrysler reliability. Honda seemed the better bet based off history, but the dash and interior seemed far less refined. And I'm not a huge fan of the looks. And having no kids, the 2nd row magic seats are worthless to me. I can slide it out of the way, so its still in the way... LOL

Then after a HORRIBLE experience at Orange Coast Chrysler- bait and switch APR (tried to coerce me into a bad lease deal) then offered a loan in writing I didn't actually qualify for... then stealing my registration to force me to come back to the dealership so they could have another shot at a sale... The the CFO refusing me copies of MY credit submissions I am legally entitled to, to now speaking to their attorney... 100% true.

I was going to walk away from the Pacifica. But I couldn't shake the fact that I liked EVERYTHING, literally EVERYTHING, about it better than the others.

And then I saw the panoramic moonroof. Done. The entire 15 years I had my Sienna, I wanted a moonroof... LOL But I didn't get one to keep purchase cost down. The moonroof is amazing.

So I found the exact one I wanted at a different dealer, drove all the way to Cerritos, and bought a Touring L Plus with S Appearance and Moonroof.

Other than filing with the BBB, state and federal lending regulators, notifying Chrysler, and inevitably filing a civil suit against Orange Coast, buying the car has been just awesome. Literally couldn't be happier. Though it would have been way nicer to have skipped the Orange Coast Fraud experience and just bought from Cerritos...

Combine the car and the lifetime warranty I bought, I'm all in. I drove a 2 hour round trip tonight, just love the car. Would I do it again? Other than Orange Coast attempting fraud which cost me time and money... remove them from the equation, and yes I would absolutely do it again!

41 - 60 of 81 Posts
About this Discussion
80 Replies
40 Participants
stop-eject
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing