2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy a new 2020 Pacifica Limited in the next month and I'm looking at both the PHEV version and standard gas version. I'm on the fence a little for features and costs.

Gas Pros:
  • Towing package available - for towing and bike racks
  • Stow n Go 2nd Row
  • Lowering springs available
PHEV Pros:
  • Tax rebates lower cost up front
  • Better mpg promise
  • Green
What's tripping me up is determining the value of the different types at maybe 6-10 years. At the moment I think the PHEV version will plummet based on the cost of replacing the batteries (assuming 8k) and potential high costs for maintaining the higher complexity things like the drive etc. I think if my intent was the keep the car for only 3 years I wouldn't worry too much about it as I am sure I could find a buyer, but if I consider holding it longer (as is the history for the cars I really like) I'm seeing the value and costs diverging on the gas and PHEV versions.

Sadly, I started out committed to the PHEV version, but after considering the long term risks/costs I'm leaning back toward a gas version. Can anyone correct me? I'm posting here because everyone with a PHEV is sure to be able to steer me in the right way with the concerns. I'm not totally sold that PHEV is going to save me any money over time.

Little perspective: I'm selling a Cayenne Turbo to go Pacifica due to kid/family. I'm sold on van over suv for sliding doors and space. I just need to make it fit my aesthetic needs to make the transition easier so 22s and lowering a bit is likely in the future.

Can anyone talk some sense into me?

·
Registered
168 Posts
You can put a towing package on the back of the hybrid and mount a bike or luggage rack. Love my hybrid never going back to full ICE again.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can put a towing package on the back of the hybrid and mount a bike or luggage rack. Love my hybrid never going back to full ICE again.
You can put the receiver on, but you cannot tow (warranty). You can't get the towing package on the PHEV. The package actually includes a radiator, larger alternator and sway bar.

·
Registered
90 Posts
EV battery is covered by 10 year/100,000 mile warranty. In some states it’s 150,000. So your principal concern about the battery is somewhat negated by that. As TSE mentioned (just realized that’s also good for T. S. Eliot), you can’t toe with a hitch, but you can mount bike or luggage racks if you install a hitch.

I look at what’s going on with Iran, Saudi Arabia et al and think these low gas prices aren’t going to last much longer, so you’ll be glad you have a PHEV Sooner’s rather than later!

·
Registered
90 Posts
EV battery is covered by 10 year/100,000 mile warranty. In some states it’s 150,000. So your principal concern about the battery is somewhat negated by that. As TSE mentioned (just realized that’s also good for T. S. Eliot), you can’t toe with a hitch, but you can mount bike or luggage racks if you install a hitch.

I look at what’s going on with Iran, Saudi Arabia et al and think these low gas prices aren’t going to last much longer, so you’ll be glad you have a PHEV Sooner’s rather than later!
Why would autocorrect opt for Sooner’s rather than sooner? Sooner’s isn’t even a word, unless you’re talking about the belongings of a student/alumnus/a of Indiana!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EV battery is covered by 10 year/100,000 mile warranty. In some states it’s 150,000. So your principal concern about the battery is somewhat negated by that. As TSE mentioned (just realized that’s also good for T. S. Eliot), you can’t tow with a hitch, but you can mount bike or luggage racks if you install a hitch.

I look at what’s going on with Iran, Saudi Arabia et al and think these low gas prices aren’t going to last much longer, so you’ll be glad you have a PHEV sooner rather than later!
I see the warranty, but I have to believe they aren't just replacing batteries for free at 99,999 and almost 10 years. I want to be believe, but this is where I am assuming at 10 years I have a battery pack that is weak and the warranty makes me pay or makes it so hard to get a costly replacement for free it's just worthless. Please tell me Chrysler is going to be giving us all free new batteries inside our warranties.

Also, I could hit 100k in 5 years. That's at max realistically only 50k miles on the batteries.

That battery pack cost is a big one. It's like an engine replacement cost. I really just wonder if people are going to be buying an aged plugin with the idea that they are going to buy a new battery pack. I suppose in 5-8 years there may be after market options, but maybe not.

I'd like to tow a trailer when needed. I have a light weight one with Kayaks that probably wouldn't be a problem on a PHEV, but I'm also not going to risk warranty. I'd need the wiring and receiver.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I think the choice is based on your specific needs . I can put my 5 bike Thule rack on back or 2 Thule racks up top. I have no reason to tow anything , if your on the fence then I’d say the ice Pacifica is your calling . Personally , I wouldn’t buy a ice one when I looked at the 2 Pacifica’s. The seamless power train on mine , and it’s **** quiet , and cost savings alone is a no brainer for me . Curious why people would lower these things is beyond me . This is my daily driver and if I feel the need for speed I just take out the acr-e viper . Gas isn’t going anywhere , and I have ability to drive for free 90 % of the time here in Ontario. Good luck and happy motoring .

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
cost savings alone is a no brainer for me .
I'm not convinced on cost savings in all owner scenarios. Your kwh is cheaper than mine, but I'm still pretty cheap in the US vs other areas. I think its easy to think these are cheaper esp when getting 7500 tax credits. I'm just rightfully concerned about cost risks being substantially greater on the hybrid. Don't get me wrong. I still want it to be cheaper.

Curious why people would lower these things is beyond me .
Looks. Pretty much just looks. We all like different things. I'd prefer the van look a little more low and a little more racer than country squire. I have other sports cars like you. I just also want the van to have a look.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You can put the receiver on, but you cannot tow (warranty). You can't get the towing package on the PHEV. The package actually includes a radiator, larger alternator and sway bar.
Yeah... :rolleyes: That is what I stated... There is a tow package for the rear. I did not say anything about towing a trailer, radiator, larger alternator, or sway bar.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah... :rolleyes: That is what I stated... There is a tow package for the rear. I did not say anything about towing a trailer, radiator, larger alternator, or sway bar.
Yea, it's just that when we say "tow package" it means all of those items because its a package deal. A person can say there is the trailer hitch receiver part available for the ICE version of the pacifica that can fit the Hybrid and it can be installed after purchase by some dealers or on your own. Folks normally use package when talking about dealer offered collections of features like the S Appearance Package or the Advanced SafetyTec Group package. So, there is some confusion when we use the word package in a context other than what the dealer offers for the Tow Group Package which is:
  • 220-Amp Alternator
  • 7- and 4- Pin Trailer-Tow Wiring Harness
  • Heavy-Duty Radiator
  • Hitch with 2-Inch Receiver
  • Trailer Sway Damping
For sure, if anyone only wants to put bikes on the back and not tow a thing the Hybrid can do it and I think the consensus is that if you don't install the wiring for the trailer lights then the dealer is going to believe you that you aren't towing in the case of warranty questions. I just listed a "pro" of the ICE version is towing (one of my desires, but not really a deal breaker).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yea, it's just that when we say "tow package" it means all of those items because its a package deal. A person can say there is the trailer hitch receiver part available for the ICE version of the pacifica that can fit the Hybrid and it can be installed after purchase by some dealers or on your own. Folks normally use package when talking about dealer offered collections of features like the S Appearance Package or the Advanced SafetyTec Group package. So, there is some confusion when we use the word package in a context other than what the dealer offers for the Tow Group Package which is:
  • 220-Amp Alternator
  • 7- and 4- Pin Trailer-Tow Wiring Harness
  • Heavy-Duty Radiator
  • Hitch with 2-Inch Receiver
  • Trailer Sway Damping
For sure, if anyone only wants to put bikes on the back and not tow a thing the Hybrid can do it and I think the consensus is that if you don't install the wiring for the trailer lights then the dealer is going to believe you that you aren't towing in the case of warranty questions. I just listed a "pro" of the ICE version is towing (one of my desires, but not really a deal breaker).
omg...

·
Registered
168 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
We seem to be attracting some combative people, unfortunately. People are trying to help you, pounce. Consider being nicer to them, as they’re spending their time trying to assist you.

Best thing to do is to go through the hybrid’s compromises and see if there’s something you can’t live with. All the data you’re looking for, save battery longevity, is here on the forums. Do the work.

As for longevity, you buy your ticket and your takes your chances, as they say. If you’re looking for a crystal ball, let us all know when you’ve found it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
We seem to be attracting some combative people, unfortunately. People are trying to help you, pounce. Consider being nicer to them, as they’re spending their time trying to assist you.
I'm sorry if you feel anything I said was combative. I'm just being factual and honest. If anything the other member is judging me based on being factual and then shaming me for it. I simply tried to make their omg funny.

All the data you’re looking for, save battery longevity, is here on the forums. Do the work.
This kind of response is anti discussion and anti community. You assume I haven't read and researched and your only response is to tell me to go read rather than offer your own opinion. It's people like you that make the threads meaningless. Go read, mic drop. Perhaps you can offer some help and insight rather than hiding behind the shame approach and lobbing generalities? I was pretty clear about how I arrived at the place I did. I actually have read. I hope you feel better.

·
Registered
243 Posts
What's tripping me up is determining the value of the different types at maybe 6-10 years. At the moment I think the PHEV version will plummet based on the cost of replacing the batteries (assuming 8k) and potential high costs for maintaining the higher complexity things like the drive etc. I think if my intent was the keep the car for only 3 years I wouldn't worry too much about it as I am sure I could find a buyer, but if I consider holding it longer (as is the history for the cars I really like) I'm seeing the value and costs diverging on the gas and PHEV versions.
Why do you think the service life of the battery is not that long? What's a comparable vehicle to the Pacifica Hybrid that's been around since 2010? How many of those have had the battery replaced? How many have over 100,000 miles and still running?

·
Registered
318 Posts
pounce, I’m not sure why anyone would want to invest their time into helping you. You’re certainly not doing anything positive that would encourage someone else to do the work for you. You appear lazy, ungrateful, and combative. Take a moment to think about what might encourage others to be helpful to you.

·
Registered
168 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
A 1st gen. NIssan LEAF owner, facing the 45 miles rang down from 70 must replace the battery to have an usable car. An old PacHy with 25 miles range instead of 35 is not a big deal because it will simply switch to gas. The air cooled LEAF is an outlier, all liquid cooled EVs have better battery life expectancy
I wouldn't recommend lowering PacHy, it doesn't have a lot of clearance to work with.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts