2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
We are looking at purchasing a new 2018 Pacifica Hybrid. It has less than 200 miles and has not been titled yet but the dealership is telling us it doesn’t qualify for the $7500 tax credit and we aren’t sure what would disqualify it? We’ve researched and as far as we can tell meets all the requirements, the only thing is that it’s a 2018 purchasing in 2020. What are we missing!
Thanks!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Talk to a tax professional.

I’d not want it just because the batteries have been sitting around unmaintained for a very long time. That’s not a good situation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Talk to a tax professional.

I’d not want it just because the batteries have been sitting around unmaintained for a very long time. That’s not a good situation.
Thank you! We have tried and no one seems to know whyit would be disqualified including calling the IRS directly.

They are replacing the battery but that is an additional concern from my husband we are considering.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It would only qualify if it is being sold as new. If the vehicle had previously been sold and then returned or bought back, it's a used vehicle. If it's new, it absolutely qualifies for the full $7500 tax credit. I got the full credit when I bought my 2018 hybrid. Is the dealer advertising it as a new vehicle?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! What year did you purchase your 2018?
They are advertising as new, tell us it wasn’t a bring back and everything we find on it says only the dealership has owned it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
They are replacing the battery but that is an additional concern from my husband we are considering.
They likely have to replace the 12v, as it’s unlikely to be alive after this amount of disuse. It’s the high voltage battery you need to be concerned with. I’d be surprised if they were replacing that.

Unmaintained batteries are something to be vary wary of.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought my 2018 hybrid in February of 2018. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
They are advertising as new, tell us it wasn’t a bring back and everything we find on it says only the dealership has owned it.
Can you share a web link to the vehicle listing on the dealer web site? I'm curious to see what the details are. I promise I won't buy it out from under you! ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hello,
We are looking at purchasing a new 2018 Pacifica Hybrid. It has less than 200 miles and has not been titled yet but the dealership is telling us it doesn’t qualify for the $7500 tax credit and we aren’t sure what would disqualify it? We’ve researched and as far as we can tell meets all the requirements, the only thing is that it’s a 2018 purchasing in 2020. What are we missing!
Thanks!
The model year doesn’t matter. what does matter is that when it’s sold, it’s documented on the title and bill of sale as a new car.

The dealer may have, perhaps incorrectly, tried to take the credit themselves while it was in inventory. What you can do there if you want to be unfriendly is try to double dip: negotiate the 7500 out of the price accordingly, and then claim the credit anyway. The IRS will audit you and will also audit the dealer and determine who gets the credit. If the car was sold to you as “new” and unused my money’s on you winning that audit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought my new 2018 in October 2019 (4 months ago)
I plan to take the $7500 tax credit. My tax pro sees no reason not to.

And regarding the high voltage battery, it all running great. I get the expected 35 miles from a charge.
I've put a total of 13,000 miles on it in the first 4 months, I love driving it.

·
Registered
2020 Touring L 35th Anniversary Edition in Granite Crystal
270 Posts
So what happened? Did you buy the '18?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts