2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
...this raises possible negative conditions for your vehicle.
  • forcing Pure EV mode may defeat the maintenance routines and if you neglect to manage your engine health yourself might cause damage.
  • Limited cabin heat.
  • Limited power should an evasive driving situation require more.
  • The range is so limited already I would imaging forcing EV mode wouldnt be super useful?
m0ebius604, hope you don't mind my summarizing your post in the above bullet points, rather than a direct quote. Thanks for the points you brought up.

Agreed on the first one. Presumably you'd want to briefly run the engine in ICE mode a few times per year just to keep the valves lubricated, etc. There are plenty of project cars that sit in garages for a year or two without being run with few ill effects, so running the ICE on a Pacifica every 4-6 months presumably would be adequate.

Yes, you'd have to preheat the cabin while plugged in or suffer extremely limited range. I live in a temperate area so this isn't a big concern.

For me, limited power isn't an issue. I drive like a...well, I drive like a minivan owner. So the only time my van activates the ICE is when the Adaptive Cruise Control lurches forward and forces it to come on.

I've got charging on both sides of my normal drives, so EV miles are 98% of my routine driving. If I get off routine, it's easy enough to stop by a gas station and add some fuel in my urban/suburban environment.

Can you think of any other (especially mechanical, because I'm no mechanic) risks to running in Turtle mode for an extended period?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Can you think of any other (especially mechanical, because I'm no mechanic) risks to running in Turtle mode for an extended period?
Well, the vehicle is allowed by the manufacturer to operate under these conditions temporarily; so I dont feel there could be immediate mechanical risk to extended operation.

I wouldnt expect any further discharge than 0% on the gauge so if you run out, your out. The lubrication and cooling systems are electric and operate normally in drive. 12v charging system is supplied by the HV battery.

I think the biggest obstacle is engine storage. Cars shouldnt be stored like you point out because they rot inside, but this doesn't stop people.. garage kept would be different.

ACC is my #1 cause of unintended engine startup.. I agree its frustrating. Climate is my second.

Maybe this could be nailed down if you submit a PM to chryslercares asking if turtle mode is safe to drive in or if any damage can occur.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Well, the vehicle is allowed by the manufacturer to operate under these conditions temporarily; so I dont feel there could be immediate mechanical risk to extended operation.

I wouldnt expect any further discharge than 0% on the gauge so if you run out, your out. The lubrication and cooling systems are electric and operate normally in drive. 12v charging system is supplied by the HV battery.

I think the biggest obstacle is engine storage. Cars shouldnt be stored like you point out because they rot inside, but this doesn't stop people.. garage kept would be different.

ACC is my #1 cause of unintended engine startup.. I agree its frustrating. Climate is my second.

Maybe this could be nailed down if you submit a PM to chryslercares asking if turtle mode is safe to drive in or if any damage can occur.
Thanks for the response. I'd be surprised if chryslercares gives any guidelines for how long we can drive in turtle mode other than "As little as possible" but hey, it's worth a shot!

Agreed on the battery percentage, I wouldn't want to or expect the van to be set up to push past that 0% line. Tesla will go to extraordinary levels (like sacrificing the 12V battery) to let you squeeze out those last few electrons, but I can't imagine that FCA would have the Pacifica set up the same way. If I ever got down below 10%, I'd just go to a gas station and buy a gallon or two.

·
Registered
369 Posts

Thanks for the response. I'd be surprised if chryslercares gives any guidelines for how long we can drive in turtle mode other than "As little as possible" but hey, it's worth a shot!

Agreed on the battery percentage, I wouldn't want to or expect the van to be set up to push past that 0% line. Tesla will go to extraordinary levels (like sacrificing the 12V battery) to let you squeeze out those last few electrons, but I can't imagine that FCA would have the Pacifica set up the same way. If I ever got down below 10%, I'd just go to a gas station and buy a gallon or two.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Other than just wondering if this can be done, what’s the point?
Just to keep the van from jumping into ICE mode when you don't want it to. For people in cold areas, this usually means the Fuel and Oil Maintenance mode where the van shifts to ICE even though the battery is fully charged.

For me, it's when I'm using cruise control (set at 65 mph, for example) and the car in front of me (going 57 mph) shifts lanes and there's empty road ahead. The van will lurch forward and start up the gas engine for a minute or two. I'd like to avoid having the gas engine turn on or off for short periods, if possible.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just to keep the van from jumping into ICE mode when you don't want it to. For people in cold areas, this usually means the Fuel and Oil Maintenance mode where the van shifts to ICE even though the battery is fully charged.
Fuel maintenance mode obviously wouldn't be a problem if there is none, but the oil maintenance can still be a thing. Even if you don't run the ICE, depending on your local weather conditions, you can still get condensation of moisture inside the engine and if it never heats up to get rid of it you could get internal corrosion. If you're in Arizona, probably not an issue. If you're in Florida or Hawaii, I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
They’ve been know to ask technical
Support on your behalf. We learned that L gear can be used in all speed ranges on the hybrid this way.

·
Super Moderator
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
@m0ebius604 I completely agree with everything you said. Otherwise, I would try this simple mod a while ago. There are some benefits of the forced electric mode, but it comes with disadvantages and unknowns.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Fuel maintenance mode obviously wouldn't be a problem if there is none, but the oil maintenance can still be a thing. Even if you don't run the ICE, depending on your local weather conditions, you can still get condensation of moisture inside the engine and if it never heats up to get rid of it you could get internal corrosion. If you're in Arizona, probably not an issue. If you're in Florida or Hawaii, I wouldn't do it.
Indeed, condensation in the oil is one reason people might go for this hack, since condensation has been an issue for people who repeatedly take short trips and never get that oil hot enough to evaporate the water. If the engine isn't running (like with this hack) condensation in the crankcase doesn't get mixed into the oil and get distributed throughout the engine. So there's no need for a oil maintenance mode. Certainly you'd want to run the engine occasionally to make sure the internal parts stay lubricated and continue annual oil changes, but that's a separate issue.

While my van will go months without getting a high enough temperature to burn off water, I've been lucky so far and not had any symptoms of oil fouling. The van has never forced Fuel (and oil) Maintenance Mode, which seems to be more of a cold weather PacHy owner issue from what I've seen posted.

·
Registered
369 Posts
They’ve been know to ask technical
Support on your behalf. We learned that L gear can be used in all speed ranges on the hybrid this way.
I reached out to CC and they were pleasantly responsive on this. However, they were not able to locate any information about what mechanical issues might result from driving the van with no gas in the tank. So, no news may (or may not!) be good news for this hack.

@stop-eject has the best idea for a solution, though. I'd love to see someone more competent than I am dig into the wiring and make it happen.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I reached out to CC and they were pleasantly responsive on this. However, they were not able to locate any information about what mechanical issues might result from driving the van with no gas in the tank. So, no news may (or may not!) be good news for this hack.

@stop-eject has the best idea for a solution, though. I'd love to see someone more competent than I am dig into the wiring and make it happen.
I wouldnt ask them for what could happen, that places liability.. the question needs to more subtle.

I would have asked them if driving in turtle mode to a gas station poses any risk or should the vehicle be pulled over and roadside assistance called out for fuel.

With this scenero you would find out it temporary operation is ok; If the vehicle is “safe to drive” to the next gas station, it would be safe operating in turtle mode for possibly many miles to the next station, if it can do that then it is implied that no mechanical damage can result from driving in that mode..

But if the vehicle needs to be pulled over immediately.. which I doubt is the case.

What you do with that info is your problem, they cant give you permission but they can tell you what they expect you to do.

·
Super Moderator
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

I highly doubt driving without gas will cause any mechanical issues. After all, full EV driving is a normal mode of operation. Messing with the fuel level sensor may cause it to fail some sanity check with the body computer and pop the MIL. Chrysler doesn't want us to drive in the forced EV mode because it limits the maximum power and negatively affecting the safety.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts