2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still tossing around buying one of these, but it's super tough to locate decent shape 2018 or 2019 models around the metro Atlanta area.

For the actual 2018 or 2019 owners, what's the road noise and/or wind noise like at highway speeds?

·
Registered
157 Posts
It’s impressively quiet. Like Mercedes S class quiet. Conversation between the first two rows is possible using your library voice.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I love it and think it is the most quiet of my vehicles. Get one - you will love it!
John

·
Registered
239 Posts
Minimal , put a good set of tires on it and so quiet . Mind you it also depends on the road one is travelling , no vehicle can get rid of all the noises from a sub par road .

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's quiet for a van but to say it is S-Class quiet is overstating it in my view. It's louder than my Audi A6 without a doubt. I haven't been in a new S- Class but it is considerably louder than an Audi A8 I drove around.

It's louder than most Audi and Mercedes SUVs as well. I would say on par with something in the lower tier luxury SUVs (think Infiniti or Acura).

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hmm. Don’t know how we’re comparing minivans to cats for quietness , has somebody forgot the applause to apples ideology . The cabins inside these cars aren’t exactly the same cu ft last time I seen them . I think it’s safe to say comparing cars of the same size and function is more in tune here . Quiet yes , but dead silent nope . After all, it’s really a big vehicle with lots of windows, doors and a big floor pan .

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have to say ours is surprisingly noisy, much louder than the test car we had for a day. Both cars were built around the same time, same trim level etc. (2018s Limited built in late 2017). And I'm still wondering why there is such a huge difference?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have to say ours is surprisingly noisy, much louder than the test car we had for a day. Both cars were built around the same time, same trim level etc. (2018s Limited built in late 2017). And I'm still wondering why there is such a huge difference?
Different tires maybe?

·
Registered
933 Posts
As T.B. said, tires can make a huge difference. Also, in a previous post you mentioned that your importer had to do necessary modification to make it legal for use in Europe. Make sure they put the undercarriage shields back in properly and that the noise cancelling audio system is still functioning.

I agree it's probably not S-Class or Audi 8 quiet, it is quiet enough that people who are used to noisier vehicles, notice (and are sometimes annoyed by) sounds that were masked out by the ambient din before. In other words, the pin-drop effect.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Indeed tires are a huge difference... once I got the Yokohamas off mine and replaced with Michelin it was MUCH quieter and handled much better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Indeed tires are a huge difference... once I got the Yokohamas off mine and replaced with Michelin it was MUCH quieter and handled much better.
Yes, Tires make a huge difference in terms of road noise and ride comfort. Usually, the OEM tires on low/mid tier trims of most vehicles are crappy and the Yokohamas I currently have fit that bill, very noisy indeed. Im sure there are plenty of other tires that are much quieter.
Had bad experience with OEM Firestone/Bridgestones on my other vehicles as well. You can see a lot of difference if you pick the replacement tires based on their noise/comfort rating. You can get these specs and compare them at TireRack or other vendors.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I have to admit, the Nexens I wasn't expecting when I ordered my ride are pretty good for noise.

Actually TBH, I havent had an issue with the wet/dry traction, wear or winter performance of these Nexens.. very ordinary.

·
Registered
157 Posts
OK, I checked the Pacifica vs. Mercedes S450. All figures from C&D. Pacifica @ 70mph = 68dba. S-Class @ 70mph = 65dba. So it’s not actually as quiet as a current generation S-class. IIRC, dB is a logarithmic scale, so 3dB difference represents about double the sound energy. But it’s also about the minimum delta that people can reliably differentiate in sound volume or intensity (I’ve read). Strictly FYI. I still think it’s pretty decently quiet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
this is by far the quietist vehicle i have ever owned but i have the Limited which i believe has acoustic noise dampening abilities. at 75/85 Its quiet enough to talk softly and hear a conversation with front passenger, this is with stock 17" wheels/tires which helps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
19 Participants
[email protected]
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing