2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Touring L - Bright White, Black/Alloy w/Nav
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winter's coming so I'm looking for winter tires for my Touring L. What are the experiences of the forum with winter tires?

What brand and model works well woth the Pacifica? Any tires you'd recommend or recommend to avoid?

Ar this point, I think I'm leaning toward the Toyo GSI 5 or 6. I had Toyo GSI 5 on my previous SUV and they were good. Reviews say they're good for heavier vehicles.

I've had ok experience with the Michelin X ice, but I've noticed that the tread isn't that deep and they seem to wear quickly.

I had studded Nokian Nordman tires that were great for a 2wd pickup, but were very noisy.

All that said, I'm interested in hearing your experiences. What have you used for winter tires on your Pacifica and how were they?

·
Registered
946 Posts
I took off the OEM tires at 12k miles and put on a set of Goodyear Assurance Weatheready tires. I live in Minnesota, and these tires are fantastic, and I run them year around. 24k on these Goodyears, and they are at 7/32", so they are wearing well. Remarkable, quiet tires.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I think it all depends on your location for winter , some places get crazy snow rain and ice . I’ve used blizzack dmv2 and I pike and prefer the blizzack . I run a 235 60 18 with 108t winter on oem 18 rims and 245 50 20 with Bridgestone ecopias in summer on a factory black 20 oem rim . The 20”s in summer see really no mileage deviation vs the 18”s . A good brand name tire is way to go buy a 235 is good size on a 18 rim . Good luck and happy motoring

·
Registered
2020 Hybrid Limited Ceramic Gray S
7 Posts
I have a set of 225/65/17 steelies with goodyear ultragrip wrt’s that i used on my town and country. Anyone know if they will work on hybrid with s package?

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Just be aware that the tire / rim combination has to support a 5100 lb vehicle and any extra weight . When shopping for a tire/ rim be sure that you adhere to the minimum specie load ratings for tires/rims .

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a set of 225/65/17 steelies with goodyear ultragrip wrt’s that i used on my town and country. Anyone know if they will work on hybrid with s package?
I had a similar situation, but with alloy wheels. Load rating on the old tires was too low, as noted by @CANADAHYBRIDGUY. Was able to use the 17”wheels with new tires. Went with Michelin X-Ice. The are quiet and work well in snow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
...was able to use the 17” (alloy) wheels with new tires. Went with Michelin X-Ice. The are quiet and work well in snow.
I have the same setup. They are shockingly quiet tires with great snow performance; I quite like them.

I've had ok experience with the Michelin X ice, but I've noticed that the tread isn't that deep and they seem to wear quickly.
When I was researching, I think they were among the only winter tires with any mileage warranty, so I am surprised at that. I've had them on other vehicles and have not had premature wear issues.

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L Plus
22 Posts
I too went with the Michelin X-Ice on 17 inch rims and was very happy.
Only used them for one winter so can’t really talk about wear other than they show no signs or wear yet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems that the X ice is a popular choice. From reading more reviews, it seems that they may not wear quickly, but the tread depth is shallower than some others.

I think it all depends on your location for winter , some places get
crazy snow rain and ice.
I'm on the East Coast so that's us! We get a lot of freeze/thaw cycles which results in ice, yet we also get snowstorms that bring big dumps of snow.

The weight issue that @CANADAHYBRIDGUY mentioned is the most important factor. The size is also slightly different. The 17s on my Pacifica are 235/65R17. Yours are slightly narrower and smaller in overall diameter. It'll make a very small difference in speedometer readout. As long what you have matches or exceeds the load rating for the Pacifica's tires and wheels, you should be ok.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i was looking at getting 4 new pirelli scorpion winter tires just the other day. great reviews from several sites. they would have been about $586 or so, just for the tires. i decided to look at my local craigslist and found 1 season used Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV. they wanted $580. i offered $500, and they took it. iirc, nokian are pretty much the bees knees of winter tires, so i went with the used ones over new ones of a different brand.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I second Lipster here. Switched over from OEM Nexens to GY Assurance WeatherReady tires at 3600 miles (in Feb in Chicago) and was happy with the performance through the rest of the winter. Saw no noticeable hit to fuel economy after weather warmed up. Very happy with the change.

·
Registered
65 Posts
For those that have fitted the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady, have you used dedicated winter/snow tires in the past? Are you able to comment about the relative performance in various snow conditions?

All my previous New England winters were in AWD vehicles with snow tires. I am uncertain whether I should stick with proper snow tires to compensate for the lack of AWD, or accept that I won't be able to get everywhere I used to due to lack of AWD and there's no point shelling out to have dedicated summer and winter sets.

If nothing else I'd be pleased to not have to store the spare set of wheels, especially as the Pacifica's are bigger and don't fit where I have been storing the previous cars' set. So I'm leaning towards the WeatherReady (or Michelin equivalent) but I would love some more opinions.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ordered a set of Blizzak DM-V2 and I'll get them installed in a couple weeks. They're one of the top rated tires in one Canadian review:
APA 2019-2020 Pickup & SUV tire ratings

@potfish , you're just a bit south of me so your winters are probably about the same. For what it's worth to you, I'm going with dedicated winters. Winter tires are typically made with a softer compound that will remain flexible in low temperatures, which helps with stopping, even on dry pavement. There's also the mountain snowflake symbol to watch for on tires, which means it's been tested and meets certian standards for snow. I'd be interested if the WeatherReady tires carry that logo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've bought dedicated winter wheels/tires for every car I've bought in the last 20 years, Jeeps excepted, but they had m/t tires that I had siped. I've had a set of Blizzak WS80s on my wife's Cruze since new and it was unfazed through 4 Chicago winters. I'll take good winter tires on FWD over all seasons on AWD.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There's also the mountain snowflake symbol to watch for on tires, which means it's been tested and meets certian standards for snow. I'd be interested if the WeatherReady tires carry that logo.
They do. I wouldn't even be considering them otherwise.

·
Registered
946 Posts
For those that have fitted the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady, have you used dedicated winter/snow tires in the past? Are you able to comment about the relative performance in various snow conditions?

All my previous New England winters were in AWD vehicles with snow tires. I am uncertain whether I should stick with proper snow tires to compensate for the lack of AWD, or accept that I won't be able to get everywhere I used to due to lack of AWD and there's no point shelling out to have dedicated summer and winter sets.

If nothing else I'd be pleased to not have to store the spare set of wheels, especially as the Pacifica's are bigger and don't fit where I have been storing the previous cars' set. So I'm leaning towards the WeatherReady (or Michelin equivalent) but I would love some more opinions.
I've had several cars with dedicated winter tires, mounted on rims. You are correct: Storing and changeout is a royal PITA. The WeatherReady tire is IMO, not quite as good as the X/ice from Michelin, but almost. They sure serve my needs, and with 20k miles on them, they are still very good on winter roads. On this vehicle, with those tires, I don't feel the need to have an extra set of winter tires.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just the kind of info I was looking for, thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My first two winters in western PA I left my all weather tires on and the van was TERRIBLE in light snow. Last year I bought a set of 235/65R-17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 SL and they have been great. Tire Rack had them at a steal for $104/tire delivered.

I made the mistake of not getting a set of steel wheels last year, contemplating getting those this year to save on future mounting costs. Anyone know the best option/source for getting cheap but reliable wheels?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anyone know the best option/source for getting cheap but reliable wheels?
If you're looking for cheap, I'd recommend looking into Auto salvage places or local classified ads. There's more homework and legwork involved, but you can save a lot of money.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts