2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

Knowing what you all know now about your vehicles would you buy another one/2022?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I currently have a pending order in for a 2022 Touring L. But, after discovering some of issues around the hybrid electric drive not transitioning to the ICE and battery heater issues, I have some concerns. Question: Knowing what you all know now about your vehicles would you buy another one/2022? Thank you, appreciate your thoughts. Phil

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
On my second one transition from 18 to 21 pinnacle was nite and day . Next one will be grand Cherokee L 4xe and Pacifica goes bye bye . The drivetrain is far superior to a ice powertrain , it does have its hiccups thou . You have to remember that this is a ehybrid phev and not a bev . So comparing it to a bev is just simply not realistic . My 18 had zero issues aside from post inspection , my 21 is preforming the same so far .

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had a 2018 gas Pacifica Limited and this past May bought a 2021 Hybrid Limited. Absolutely love the hybrid. No major issues, gas engine running in cold weather to warm the engine makes sense, for if you call for extra power or otherwise switch over to the gas engine while driving certain parts need to be warmed up or would not be good for the engine. But with the 2021 I precondition the vehicle before leaving in the morning so that the Pacifica runs on battery 100%. Virtually all local driving is completely battery, so that's pretty awesome. I'd do it again, although I hope this 2021 lasts us a while because it is such a fantastic vehicle.

·
Registered
2022 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, Fathom Blue ordered 10/30/21, built 12/08/21, delivered 12/23/21.
373 Posts
I have a 2022 Limited Hybrid (coming from a Subaru outback) and it has been an amazing vehicle so far (only had it since 12/23/21) it is easy to get scared off on the forums because they are complex and people come here and to the FB groups to complain and to find solutions but reality is it is a small percentage of owners with major issues and all manufactures have issues. I really enjoy the luxury, practicality, acceleration and powertrain and technology. My other vehicle is a 2021 Ram Laramie 1500 and that is also an amazing vehicle and I am a truck guy but I've been letting my baby sit because I like driving the Pachy so much!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I keep going between a Limited PHEV Pacifica and the SX Carnival. The way gas prices are going is a huge plus for Pacifica but I much prefer the lane centering/features on the SX Carnival (put a refundable deposit down on one but who knows when it will arrive) . Really my ideal would be a PHEV Carnival or PHEV Pacifica with lane centering. I've owned 2 grand caravans for the last 7 years and the only issues were the sliding doors and nav unit replace (both covered under warranty). I do feel like Chrysler/Dodge know how to minivan. The issues with the PHEV Pacifica on this forum would not stop me from getting one.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Limited Hybrid
292 Posts
We have had two major problems since purchase last May, and as a long-term European car owner, pretty tolerant of reliability issues, but I have to say I'm concerned for the long-term ownership experience with this van. We love everything about how it looks, drives, handles, mileage on electric and hybrid, etc. But the reliability is a wild card. That said, I can't think of another vehicle on the market we'd be fully happy to replace it with.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The van has widely surpassed my expectations in most all aspects. I would buy again without hesitation at my April 2021 purchase price (less than $42,000 after dealer discount and then rebates). However, the market is quite different now and I likely would not spend in excess of $10,000 more for the same vehicle today.

Reactions: Vicenac

·
Registered
6 Posts
We went from a 2019 Yukon Denali to a 2021 Pachy Limited. The ride quality is noticeably superior to the Yukon(it's based off a truck platform and rides very much like a truck), cabin road noise is lower, storage and seating is comparable. The battery/ICE integration was done pretty well honestly...its almost seamless and hardly noticeable while driving. If you are idling you will hear some engine noise but thats really about it. We also own a 2018 Tesla Model X so we have something to compare the EV portion of the vehicle against. The infotainment system(Uconnect) Chrysler is using is responsive and fairly easy to navigate and customize. Charging the vehicle or really any EV at this point is a no brainer...if you can charge a cell phone you can charge the car. Overall we are happy so far.

I have seen several posts with heater issues on this forum and it seems to be impacting the 2022's. If it is a widespread issue with a certain model year I would hope that Chrysler would have the engineers on it and be looking for a direct cause. It could be a software issue or batch of heaters that were faulty. Nonetheless if the vehicles are under warranty and the cost is being passed on to Chrysler they should want to get it resolved quickly.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
881 Posts
I have a 2021 Touring L Plus, and if I smashed it up today I would replace it with the exact same van that’s sitting at a dealership in town. If that was gone I would grudgingly get a 2022. Grudgingly only because they took some features off the 2022s that we like on our 2021. If I smash my 2021 the first thing I’m going to do is pull the roof rack off of it for the 2022! Overall we have been very happy with the hybrid, even in the cold. And we live in a very cold part of the world. The vast majority of my miles in Hybrid mode have been during long distance trips. You have to drive a long distance to go anywhere around here! Even with that my EV miles are more than double my hybrid miles. A big savings with current gas prices in Canada.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Went from 2018 Limited and upgraded to a 2021 Pinnacle if that says anything.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
We went from a 2019 Yukon Denali to a 2021 Pachy Limited. The ride quality is noticeably superior to the Yukon(it's based off a truck platform and rides very much like a truck), cabin road noise is lower, storage and seating is comparable. The battery/ICE integration was done pretty well honestly...its almost seamless and hardly noticeable while driving. If you are idling you will hear some engine noise but thats really about it. We also own a 2018 Tesla Model X so we have something to compare the EV portion of the vehicle against. The infotainment system(Uconnect) Chrysler is using is responsive and fairly easy to navigate and customize. Charging the vehicle or really any EV at this point is a no brainer...if you can charge a cell phone you can charge the car. Overall we are happy so far.

I have seen several posts with heater issues on this forum and it seems to be impacting the 2022's. If it is a widespread issue with a certain model year I would hope that Chrysler would have the engineers on it and be looking for a direct cause. It could be a software issue or batch of heaters that were faulty. Nonetheless if the vehicles are under warranty and the cost is being passed on to Chrysler they should want to get it resolved quickly.
The 22 Denali Xl ultimate package with the diesel is a great truck . Loads of rear space with the 3rd row up and can’t beat that size of truck with that mileage to a tank . I like the refreshed interior , I know it’s no grand Wagoneer interior but it gets job done , not a super fan of the button transmission selector . But overall a great vehicle esp with the adaptive suspension with 22 tires and rims .

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
881 Posts
The 22 Denali Xl ultimate package with the diesel is a great truck . Loads of rear space with the 3rd row up and can’t beat that size of truck with that mileage to a tank . I like the refreshed interior , I know it’s no grand Wagoneer interior but it gets job done , not a super fan of the button transmission selector . But overall a great vehicle esp with the adaptive suspension with 22 tires and rims .
$90,000+ and 17L/100km? Yikes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Really my ideal would be a PHEV Carnival or PHEV Pacifica with lane centering
Just FYI, if you're tech savy, and know what you're doing, you can add aftermarket open pilot to Pacifica, that will do lane centering and more.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just FYI, if you're tech savy, and know what you're doing, you can add aftermarket open pilot to Pacifica, that will do lane centering and more.

yes I’ve seen that thread, thank you. I would have a hard stomaching more costs to an already expensive vehicle in Canada

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, Billet Silver w/Alloy Interior, All Options
39 Posts
Honestly, no. The PacHy has great technology that is very poorly executed. My van has had one problem after another and now we’re looking no EV mode for months. Like thousands of other PacHys our 21 has the hybrid coolant problem. The EV mode flat out doesn’t exist and the car will run on gas only. Because these parts are failing daily there is a massive backlog and the dealer is telling us it will likely be several months before the new part comes in. They have seen this over and over and these ordered for a lot of customers.
In addition my van has had no audio whatsoever for 3 months. Chrysler has tried 4 different solutions and has been unable to fix the problem so far. We’re onto the next one right now. We also had the random turn off issue and the lift gate issue. Prior to this I owned 4 Odysseys over a period of 14 years. This Pacifica has spent more time in the dealer for warranty issues in 9 months than all of those Honda’s combined...easily. In talking with service departments, it’s very clear these have not been isolated issues. These are affecting a large portion of 2021+ units. It’s totally unacceptable.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Honestly, no. The PacHy has great technology that is very poorly executed. My van has had one problem after another and now we’re looking no EV mode for months. Like thousands of other PacHys our 21 has the hybrid coolant problem. The EV mode flat out doesn’t exist and the car will run on gas only. Because these parts are failing daily there is a massive backlog and the dealer is telling us it will likely be several months before the new part comes in. They have seen this over and over and these ordered for a lot of customers.
In addition my van has had no audio whatsoever for 3 months. Chrysler has tried 4 different solutions and has been unable to fix the problem so far. We’re onto the next one right now. We also had the random turn off issue and the lift gate issue. Prior to this I owned 4 Odysseys over a period of 14 years. This Pacifica has spent more time in the dealer for warranty issues in 9 months than all of those Honda’s combined...easily. In talking with service departments, it’s very clear these have not been isolated issues. These are affecting a large portion of 2021+ units. It’s totally unacceptable.
Like thousands of other pachy that has the problem ? Interesting because your getting your data from ? . Curious why mine and others 21 don’t have the problem ? And I must say that service departments don’t have numbers for document issues for vehicles , it’s a corp thing as dealerships are nothing more than garages that have a licence to sell you and service your car . Maybe you should infact tell us how many ehybrid pacificas were built in 21 model year and how many are currently in for service pertaining to the part you mentioned , considering you know that there are thousands with this part . In fact maybe your service advisor can give you the part number and tell you it’s build date batch from the supplier and it’s run cycle for build . And would you care that I pull up some Honda quality issues that plaque their vehicle ? Any vehicle today has issues regarding build quality or electronics , this is the reason the manufacturer gives you a dedicated warranty . And during your buying process your offered a choice to purchase a extended warranty , that’s a personal choice . So you like the other millions of vehicle owners , from varying manufacture, have service issues that need to remedied or addressed .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep
I think Like Canada said it's hard to really understand the scope of the coolant heater issue without specific data. (Total volume of vehicles sold vs vehicles affected). Im not defending Chrysler by any means but if its not the Pacifica Hybrid...its the Corvette for torque converter issues, Tesla for heat pump failures, Ford with defective steering bolts...it goes on and on and on.

If you individual experience is accurate you are getting close or may already be eligible for the lemon law if you purchased the vehicle as new. Contact an attorney and if you are indeed right they will gladly pick up the case. It's all based on how many times the vehicle has been serviced for the same exact issue without a proper resolution. Keep all your documentation from service to back up your claim.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Name another vehicle this size can get 26 plus mpg on the highway .
haha no you are 100% right in terms of mpg..the duramax is hard to beat. I loved it in my 2500 but that was what I used on job sites so it was practical. I drove a non duramax 6.2L 21 Escalade for a few weeks and averaged 15mpg. It was a great vehicle but definitely not perfect either for 100k+. Diesel comes at a higher cost as well.

At the end of the day though we are comparing apples to oranges here. One is a minivan with a price point of around 55k(minus $7500 for EV credit) and the Denali / Escalade are luxury SUV's at 90k and 100k+ respectively.

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, Billet Silver w/Alloy Interior, All Options
39 Posts
Like thousands of other pachy that has the problem ? Interesting because your getting your data from ? . Curious why mine and others 21 don’t have the problem ? And I must say that service departments don’t have numbers for document issues for vehicles , it’s a corp thing as dealerships are nothing more than garages that have a licence to sell you and service your car . Maybe you should infact tell us how many ehybrid pacificas were built in 21 model year and how many are currently in for service pertaining to the part you mentioned , considering you know that there are thousands with this part . In fact maybe your service advisor can give you the part number and tell you it’s build date batch from the supplier and it’s run cycle for build . And would you care that I pull up some Honda quality issues that plaque their vehicle ? Any vehicle today has issues regarding build quality or electronics , this is the reason the manufacturer gives you a dedicated warranty . And during your buying process your offered a choice to purchase a extended warranty , that’s a personal choice . So you like the other millions of vehicle owners , from varying manufacture, have service issues that need to remedied or addressed .
I have never seen a breakdown of Hybrid sales specifically for the Pacifica. I've seen 2021 Pacifica sales numbers (about 98,000 units), but not a hybrid number. I have no idea what the hybrid take rate is, so you can tell me what you think a fair assumption is, but out of thin air I'd say maybe 25 percent? So that's about 25,000 units. Now, this appears to be a problem that is occurring mostly when temperatures get cold, so that eliminates a decent chunk of units sold in warmer climates. So the total pool of vehicles here is relatively small, which means if a single dealership that probably only sold a relatively small number of PacHy's last year is telling me that they have dozens of those same units back with the same problem, its fair to think that its a pretty widespread problem. I've now heard that from two different dealerships--and Chrysler customer service has told me that that it unfortunately is a common problem that they've seeing a lot of.

The dealers are telling me that the units with this issue started showing up fairly suddenly, and initially the part was available in a few weeks, then a few months, and now has no ETA. That also speaks to it being a widespread problem.

Of course its a warranty issue, but...right now I have no PHEV whatsoever. Other people have no heat. This is not a small thing, its a systematic failure of a part, or code, or something of that nature. Keep in mind this same vehicle class---2021+ also had a widespread code problem in which the vehicle's ignition sequence got out of whack and the car wouldn't start. Most of us figured out the workaround (let it sit for a few minutes and try again), but Chrysler ended up having to literally write new code to fix it. How does something like that even happen?

These messageboards are usually either filled with angry people with problems, or people who are very defensive about their purchase and don't want to hear anything negative. There's usually not much in between. Well, I'm the guy who says its a great van, class leading, with game changing technology, but yeah, I think there are MAJOR QAQC issues. And if you think that's "normal," I strongly disagree. No vehicle is perfect, all of them have issues of some kind or other. Parts fail. But the question is how systematic is it, and how easily can it be fixed. With the 21+ PacHy there are systematic issues that aren't easily solved. It doesn't matter the reliability study or metric out there, this vehicle is at the bottom. Consumer Reports has it highlighted as one of the least reliable vehicles for sale. That's not just an accident or somebody making it up. I'm well aware of the Honda issues (and Toyota, I've owned those for 15 years too) and there simply aren't systematic, widespread design/QAQC issues like this with those vehicles. They don't hit the market with a code flaw that means the van doesn't start! Or a part that shuts the heater off. Come on.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts