2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

Knowing what you all know now about your vehicles would you buy another one/2022?

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had an initial problem with my 2018- the onboard charging unit needed to be replaced- took service 4 attempts to figure it out. There have been no other problems (cosmetic issue with the dash board bumps) with the vehicle in 4 years. I could not imagine wanting one without the plug-in hybrid system.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We got our 2021 PHEV Limited last May and absolutely love it. We had a few minor software issues at the start (I posted about them on this forum), but software updates at the dealership completely fixed all of those. Absolutely love the van and would buy again. My buddy is buying one next week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was ready to order a 2022 Pacifica Pinnacle until I found out that there is no spare tire on any 2022 Pacifica's. They have a kit that has a mini compressor and a bottle/can of fluid that is injected into the flat tire. The fluid is supposed to fill any hole up to 1/4" and the compressor pumps the tire up.

But what happens when you are on a trip and hit a pothole, curb, or road debris and damage the wheel and tire. If you had a spare you could put that on, but without a spare you have to wait on the side of the road until a tow truck shows up to tow the vehicle somewhere and let it sit until a new wheel and tire can be purchased.

That is crazy. My daughter hit a pothole and damaged both the wheel and tire on her car and it took 2 weeks to get a replacement wheel, thank goodness for the compact spare tire. At least she could still drive it until the replacement arrived.

So NO, we will NOT be doing it again. We are NOT buying a new Pacifica even though we have had 3 Town & Country minivans that we loved. Chrysler, Fiat, Stellantis, whatever they go by now needs to rethink their money saving cost cutting and think about the customer's safety.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Acc
Chrysler, Fiat, Stellantis, whatever they go by now needs to rethink their money saving cost cutting and think about the customer's safety.
According to Consumer Reports, about 30% of the cars they have tested in the last 5 years don't come with a spare. The trend is increasing. They explain:

Carmakers are skipping the spare because of regulatory pressure to squeeze more miles out of every gallon of fuel: Ditching the 40 or 50 pounds that a tire and jack usually add to a car’s weight helps to increase fuel economy slightly. (It also incidentally increases automakers’ profits because they don’t have to pay for those parts.)

Many of us have decided that for longer trips we would add a spare to our packing list. Fortunately, a spare tire is something that can be added relatively easily and doesn't need to involve the dealer if you don't want it to. I haven't needed to change a tire in over 20 years myself. I can't argue with the notion that a spare could be good insurance, depending on the circumstances, but I know that my wife wouldn't even attempt a tire change even though she has a spare in her car. That particular obstacle is one that I think is pretty easy to overcome if you are so inclined.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Appreciate the response, I missed that in Consumer Reports. My last 2 cars a 2019 Jeep Trailhawk and 2018 Ford Edge have them. We were looking to replace our 2009 Town & Country and had test driven the Pacifica Hybrid and were ready to order one until we found out there was no spare which caught us by surprise. I knew the manufacturers had gone to the compact spares but never thought they would get rid of them altogether.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a 2018 gas Pacifica Limited and this past May bought a 2021 Hybrid Limited. Absolutely love the hybrid. No major issues, gas engine running in cold weather to warm the engine makes sense, for if you call for extra power or otherwise switch over to the gas engine while driving certain parts need to be warmed up or would not be good for the engine. But with the 2021 I precondition the vehicle before leaving in the morning so that the Pacifica runs on battery 100%. Virtually all local driving is completely battery, so that's pretty awesome. I'd do it again, although I hope this 2021 lasts us a while because it is such a fantastic vehicle.
Philip thanks for your post. Just wondering in cold weather how may miles of electric do you get with a full charge? I have a 2021 and used to get the full 32 miles but now 1 year old and 13000 miles and I get only 20-23 miles and the dealer says there is no issue.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
we found out there was no spare which caught us by surprise. I knew the manufacturers had gone to the compact spares but never thought they would get rid of them altogether.
I had the same reaction, and I didn't have a lot of comfort with the situation (which is what I initially thought about compact spares as well). However, after trying to objectively consider the situation, I concluded that it really wasn't a big deal. Normally, around town, getting a tow truck tends to be relatively quick and easy. On long trips, I just add a spare. I'm not saying that my judgement is the proper one, but the reality is that I haven't really missed not having a spare tire...

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Interesting article on Tesla's decision not to include a spare tire:

I found it especially interesting that they reported that 85% of spare tires wind up in the junkyard having never been used. And that 20% of the cost of manufacturing tires goes to spares. They also point out that modern TPMS systems do a great job about warning of many impending failures, reducing the likelihood of a catastrophic failure. I still can see the utility of a spare tire for longer trips in more remote/rural areas, and in for those, I add one

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Limited S
61 Posts
I was ready to order a 2022 Pacifica Pinnacle until I found out that there is no spare tire on any 2022 Pacifica's. They have a kit that has a mini compressor and a bottle/can of fluid that is injected into the flat tire. The fluid is supposed to fill any hole up to 1/4" and the compressor pumps the tire up.

SNIP

That is crazy. My daughter hit a pothole and damaged both the wheel and tire on her car and it took 2 weeks to get a replacement wheel, thank goodness for the compact spare tire. At least she could still drive it until the replacement arrived.

SNIP
May I suggest if you would buy a Pacifica, to arrange having the four tires replaced with run-flats.
and
If going on long trips in lightly populated areas of the USA, arrange to buy yourself a mini-spare to bring along with all of your packed belongings.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello all, I currently have a pending order in for a 2022 Touring L. But, after discovering some of issues around the hybrid electric drive not transitioning to the ICE and battery heater issues, I have some concerns. Question: Knowing what you all know now about your vehicles would you buy another one/2022? Thank you, appreciate your thoughts. Phil
Love my 21 pinnacle

·
Registered
182 Posts
We had a 2018 and put about 25k miles on it, then traded that in for our current 2020 that has about 14k miles on it. However, we probably would not buy another one of these.

The pro's are impressive, I love EV driving, the car handles great and is a superb people mover (we are a family of 5 with 2 dogs). There's a ton of safety and comfort features that making the driving experience really nice.

However, the reliability comes into question. Our 2018 had a few minor electronic issues, but never left us stranded. Meanwhile our 2020 spent more than 3 of the first 8 months of ownership at the dealership service, it also left us stranded in the middle of nowhere california during a road trip, a very dangerous place for a brand new vehicle (6k miles on it at the time) to literally die without warning. We've had several other smaller issues (and a couple of big one), but I seriously doubt the reliability of this vehicle in the long term. We typically keep our cars for 150k or more miles/10years, but from what we've experienced I am certain this van will end up breaking down somewhere again and needing yet another tow.

It's hard vehicle to walk away from though as they are super nice otherwise. But reliability is what counts the most, otherwise it's just money tossed into the wind. And with reliability comes safety, being stranded anywhere, especially in the middle of the freeway is extremely unsafe and I don't want that again. Neither was having the bolts literally fall out of the control arms, which could have lead us to driving into oncoming traffic or worse without any abiliy to avoid it (dealership mistake that could have ended super badly).

Anyway, we are very likely to move to Subaru for are family vehicle as we've had amazing good experience with them in the past.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That’s horrible landshark. What kind of suburu could you all fit in? When you speak if reliabilty, it makes me wonder if a Toyota Sienna or Honda might suit you guys. So far so good with our Limited Hybrid, but your experience is unnerving to hear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bought a 2019 ICE limited and had some problems right off that took the dealer 6 visits to fix. It ended up being wheel/axle bearings. After that, nothing major but the head unit does flash off and on occasionally. But I only drove it 12,000 miles and traded it for a 2022 hybrid Pinnacle 2 days ago. Already have a grinding noise from the front so I’m thinking it’s bearings again and hopefully the dealer will find it more quickly this time! I’m also having a “service charging system” error but that might be my level 2 charger, the install of the charger or something I’m doing wrong. We shall see! That said, I’ve owned lots of big, expensive SUVs and some smaller ones too and I love this van. Love the room, love the features and I love how it drives. Reliability? Meh, not so much. Right now I need the room but will probably switch to something smaller when I don’t, just for better reliability (Hopefully!) Otherwise I wouldn’t mind driving it forever.

Oh, and if this 2022 gives me loads of problems then I would seriously consider the Sienna or Odyssey but neither fit my needs and well as the PAC and they have their own issues, too. It seems to be a major problem these days, unfortunately.

I did briefly own a Kia Sedona but it’s not for me. Too cheap, not a great driving feel and the closest dealer is 50 miles away which made warranty service a pain. I would not consider another.

I had 2 Toyota Sequoias I loved also, zero problems with both. But the tech is light years behind the Pacifica and it’s not as functional for kids, cargo and dogs.

·
Registered
2021 Chrysler PacHy Limited Fully Loaded
65 Posts
Hello all, I currently have a pending order in for a 2022 Touring L. But, after discovering some of issues around the hybrid electric drive not transitioning to the ICE and battery heater issues, I have some concerns. Question: Knowing what you all know now about your vehicles would you buy another one/2022? Thank you, appreciate your thoughts. Phil
Loving my 2021 Hybrid Limited. Got it Apr/2021. So far 11k+ miles.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I keep going between a Limited PHEV Pacifica and the SX Carnival. The way gas prices are going is a huge plus for Pacifica but I much prefer the lane centering/features on the SX Carnival (put a refundable deposit down on one but who knows when it will arrive) . Really my ideal would be a PHEV Carnival or PHEV Pacifica with lane centering. I've owned 2 grand caravans for the last 7 years and the only issues were the sliding doors and nav unit replace (both covered under warranty). I do feel like Chrysler/Dodge know how to minivan. The issues with the PHEV Pacifica on this forum would not stop me from getting one.
The new Carnival is really nice, I sat in one at the car show.

Now, most of you know I am very clear to people on here about the realities of Pacifica reliability compared to the competition. My 2017 Pacifica was the worst vehicle I have ever owned, my 2020 is much better but is not perfect, I have the clunking front suspension issue that needs to be addressed.

With that said, I would buy another one just because its the best product in the segment...you just have to understand it may be more problematic than other options

Reactions: Dadillac

·
Registered
182 Posts
That’s horrible landshark. What kind of suburu could you all fit in? When you speak if reliabilty, it makes me wonder if a Toyota Sienna or Honda might suit you guys. So far so good with our Limited Hybrid, but your experience is unnerving to hear.
For us it would be the 8 passenger Subaru Ascent. We have a need for the 8th seat in the future and, although it sounds odd, the Ascent would give us more space, not less because of our seating needs. We would need 6 seats at all times in either vehicle, but putting 6 in the Pachy means we can't put any part of the 3rd row down (due to child seats/latches). However, in the Ascent we can still put part of the third row down and create a 'flat' space, more storage and space for our dogs. For any additional storage needs we'd get a roof carrier, but we wouldn't need to use it very often.

Doing the math on gas costs, it would take us 7 years of spending more on gas in the Ascent to equal the savings we would be getting with the PACHY. It gets complicated, but we are getting our 2020 replaced via lemon law this year and will get the tax credit again, giving us lots of options.

You can peek my profile posts, I made a detailed post about our bad experience(s) with our 2020.

The Sienna is a consideration, but I'm sure I'd miss the comfort/features of the pachy (nicer seats, for example). If we are going to 'downgrade' the interior feeling, we might as well get something more capable (AWD, more reliable, towing capacity, etc) such as the Ascent.

·
Administrator
2,617 Posts
Nothing changed since Pacifica came out in 2017- the gasser is still the only minivan with stow-n-go, PacHy is the only plug-in minivan.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The issue with going to a crossover is size. They just dont have the same interior volume of a minivan

·
Registered
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited 35th Anniversary, White w/Black and Cranberry
17 Posts
Absolutely - we love our 2020 PHEV Ltd - so far - no real issues worth talking about, aside of the early on post inspection... we keep our cars for many years... still have a 2000 Sebring Convertible and 2002 PT Cruiser, and so, yeah, we like Chryslers - family history - but, we love our PACHY!

·
Registered
40 Posts
For us it would be the 8 passenger Subaru Ascent. We have a need for the 8th seat in the future and, although it sounds odd, the Ascent would give us more space, not less because of our seating needs. We would need 6 seats at all times in either vehicle, but putting 6 in the Pachy means we can't put any part of the 3rd row down (due to child seats/latches). However, in the Ascent we can still put part of the third row down and create a 'flat' space, more storage and space for our dogs. For any additional storage needs we'd get a roof carrier, but we wouldn't need to use it very often.

Doing the math on gas costs, it would take us 7 years of spending more on gas in the Ascent to equal the savings we would be getting with the PACHY. It gets complicated, but we are getting our 2020 replaced via lemon law this year and will get the tax credit again, giving us lots of options.

You can peek my profile posts, I made a detailed post about our bad experience(s) with our 2020.

The Sienna is a consideration, but I'm sure I'd miss the comfort/features of the pachy (nicer seats, for example). If we are going to 'downgrade' the interior feeling, we might as well get something more capable (AWD, more reliable, towing capacity, etc) such as the Ascent.
We just purchased a 7 seater Ascent last month. A good friend is a Regional Product Mgr and hooked me up with VIP pricing in this crazy market. 44k out the door (even with ridiculous California taxes and fees) including an 8 yr 100k Gold Plan warranty. As a family of 6, it’s our first time without a minivan in the garage in 10 years. 10 trouble-free years in 2 Siennas, to be exact. I’ve been on the verge of purchasing a Pachy for over 3 years but was always spooked by reliability stories and the atrocious dealer network in NorCal. I was literally in the finance office Black Friday of 2020 when I walked because of how long it was taking. With the outrageous prices and terrible dealers and lack of new Sienna availability in my area (along with charging well over MSRP), it was an easy choice. We’re tall/big people (I’m 6’3, 235 former college tight end) and my 4 kids 6-13 yo tell me they don’t miss the van at all. We’ll miss the cargo space a few times per year but I got a cargo box for that. Perfect safety scores and a great dealer network really helps. Good luck and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 64 Posts