2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

Knowing what you all know now about your vehicles would you buy another one/2022?

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've owned a 2018 and now a 2020 Pachy - loved them both. Only issue was a bad battery coolant heater at 30K on the current one. I've built a camping outfit for the back with platform and pullouts which we use quite a bit. After five years I hoped for more substantial changes like a user selectable battery/gas drivetrain, more battery range (45 miles would be great) or better yet and all EV version. A camping model would be great as well.

I'll probably trade for a VW ID Buzz or ID California on the next go round, because of gas cost and that pesky climate crisis thing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Look at the comma thread! It works.

Now PHEV probably won’t but lane centering does.

I keep going between a Limited PHEV Pacifica and the SX Carnival. The way gas prices are going is a huge plus for Pacifica but I much prefer the lane centering/features on the SX Carnival (put a refundable deposit down on one but who knows when it will arrive) . Really my ideal would be a PHEV Carnival or PHEV Pacifica with lane centering. I've owned 2 grand caravans for the last 7 years and the only issues were the sliding doors and nav unit replace (both covered under warranty). I do feel like Chrysler/Dodge know how to minivan. The issues with the PHEV Pacifica on this forum would not stop me from getting one.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Look at the comma thread! It works.

Now PHEV probably won’t but lane centering does.

I think it’s probably best to hold off on either vehicle but new vehicles are so shiny and exciting :).

Seriously though I do find myself wanting to take advantage of the current high trade in value of used minivans now before it goes back to the way it used to be.

Yes I’ve seen and read about the comma but I’d prefer not to use it

·
Registered
182 Posts
We just purchased a 7 seater Ascent last month. A good friend is a Regional Product Mgr and hooked me up with VIP pricing in this crazy market. 44k out the door (even with ridiculous California taxes and fees) including an 8 yr 100k Gold Plan warranty. As a family of 6, it’s our first time without a minivan in the garage in 10 years. 10 trouble-free years in 2 Siennas, to be exact. I’ve been on the verge of purchasing a Pachy for over 3 years but was always spooked by reliability stories and the atrocious dealer network in NorCal. I was literally in the finance office Black Friday of 2020 when I walked because of how long it was taking. With the outrageous prices and terrible dealers and lack of new Sienna availability in my area (along with charging well over MSRP), it was an easy choice. We’re tall/big people (I’m 6’3, 235 former college tight end) and my 4 kids 6-13 yo tell me they don’t miss the van at all. We’ll miss the cargo space a few times per year but I got a cargo box for that. Perfect safety scores and a great dealer network really helps. Good luck and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the comment and I'm glad you like the Ascent! My Wife and I are fairly average/small, I'm a skinny guy and 5'8" and she's 5'6". Our kids are 5, 7 and 9 with another on the way.

Which cargo holder did you end up with? We would need one as well.

I'm signing lemon-law paperwork to have FCA replace our van, when we get the new van (probably mid summer) we'll likely trade it in for a 2023 Subaru Ascent when they are available. The idea of having a subaru family vehicle is growing on me. I've been driving a 2004 Subaru WRX Wagon that now has 235k miles on it. It's been super fun and reliable and I'd hope the Ascent would continue that trend. Definitely going to miss the MPG and space of the van, but at this point my Wife really wants the Ascent.

People here will say all vehicles have their issues, but if you look at the topics of discussion here (or even in facebook groups) about the PACHY, then compare the same discussion groups about the Ascent it's night and day difference. Ascent forums are full of people discussing how much they love their vehicle. The PACHY forums are full of people complaining about stuff. ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the comment and I'm glad you like the Ascent! My Wife and I are fairly average/small, I'm a skinny guy and 5'8" and she's 5'6". Our kids are 5, 7 and 9 with another on the way.

Which cargo holder did you end up with? We would need one as well.

I'm signing lemon-law paperwork to have FCA replace our van, when we get the new van (probably mid summer) we'll likely trade it in for a 2023 Subaru Ascent when they are available. The idea of having a subaru family vehicle is growing on me. I've been driving a 2004 Subaru WRX Wagon that now has 235k miles on it. It's been super fun and reliable and I'd hope the Ascent would continue that trend. Definitely going to miss the MPG and space of the van, but at this point my Wife really wants the Ascent.

People here will say all vehicles have their issues, but if you look at the topics of discussion here (or even in facebook groups) about the PACHY, then compare the same discussion groups about the Ascent it's night and day difference. Ascent forums are full of people discussing how much they love their vehicle. The PACHY forums are full of people complaining about stuff. ;)
Happy to offer advice. I'm also a Subaru guy from way back but after having our 4th child, there wasn't an option in their lineup. Now we're back in a Subie. My first car was an early model used Legacy. I grew up in the Blue Ridge Mountains and that bad boy was awesome in snow. I also owned a couple of Outbacks and sold my 2006 model when the 2nd baby arrived.

The only big issue you'll find on the forums was early CVT transmission problems but Subaru was great about fixing or replacing them. I have 5 friends in our neighborhood with Ascents (thanks to the same Subie employee friend) and everyone loves them. As for our cargo holder, I went with the Subaru-branded Thule Extended version. Same reason as buying the Ascent-my Subie friend gave me 50% off. :) I haven't used it yet but all those same friends recommended it with our larger family.

Good luck with your future purpose. Your wife (and you!) will be happy and love it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Between the ongoing front suspension issues…how many times do I need to take this thing in to have mechanic swapping parts to never quite fixing the issue but charging my extended warranty thousands of dollars…to the fuse having to get pulled to rest the Uconnect unit, to the 12v battery post inspection/recall and now a main battery recall with no fix…nope would not do this again nor buy a new Pacifica

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Pachy Ltd. with safety tec, surround stereo etc. etc.
177 Posts
I was ready to order a 2022 Pacifica Pinnacle until I found out that there is no spare tire on any 2022 Pacifica's. They have a kit that has a mini compressor and a bottle/can of fluid that is injected into the flat tire. The fluid is supposed to fill any hole up to 1/4" and the compressor pumps the tire up.

But what happens when you are on a trip and hit a pothole, curb, or road debris and damage the wheel and tire. If you had a spare you could put that on, but without a spare you have to wait on the side of the road until a tow truck shows up to tow the vehicle somewhere and let it sit until a new wheel and tire can be purchased.

That is crazy. My daughter hit a pothole and damaged both the wheel and tire on her car and it took 2 weeks to get a replacement wheel, thank goodness for the compact spare tire. At least she could still drive it until the replacement arrived.

So NO, we will NOT be doing it again. We are NOT buying a new Pacifica even though we have had 3 Town & Country minivans that we loved. Chrysler, Fiat, Stellantis, whatever they go by now needs to rethink their money saving cost cutting and think about the customer's safety.
I had a blow out in August on the freeway at night. Luckily was able to get off nearby exit and roll into a gas station parking lot. However, there were NO AAA tow trucks available for tow the 40 minutes home. The CHP ended up helping me find a private company willing to tow that far on a Friday night. To the tune of $400+!! I was reimbursed later by AAA, but still, ridiculous! My next vehicle will have a spare!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Honestly, no. The PacHy has great technology that is very poorly executed. My van has had one problem after another and now we’re looking no EV mode for months. Like thousands of other PacHys our 21 has the hybrid coolant problem. The EV mode flat out doesn’t exist and the car will run on gas only. Because these parts are failing daily there is a massive backlog and the dealer is telling us it will likely be several months before the new part comes in. They have seen this over and over and these ordered for a lot of customers.
This. Exactly. Same boat here. 2020 Limited. Battery coolant heater replaced at 2500 miles 9 months ago. CEL on again yesterday and once again it's POE15. Local dealer service center confirms months long backorder for part, but no point really, since it's clear that the part is likely at least part of the issue. And it seems they are using the same heater in the current model as they did in the 2020s. So why keep replacing it?!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Like thousands of other pachy that has the problem ? Interesting because your getting your data from ? . Curious why mine and others 21 don’t have the problem ? And I must say that service departments don’t have numbers for document issues for vehicles , it’s a corp thing as dealerships are nothing more than garages that have a licence to sell you and service your car . Maybe you should infact tell us how many ehybrid pacificas were built in 21 model year and how many are currently in for service pertaining to the part you mentioned , considering you know that there are thousands with this part . In fact maybe your service advisor can give you the part number and tell you it’s build date batch from the supplier and it’s run cycle for build . And would you care that I pull up some Honda quality issues that plaque their vehicle ? Any vehicle today has issues regarding build quality or electronics , this is the reason the manufacturer gives you a dedicated warranty . And during your buying process your offered a choice to purchase a extended warranty , that’s a personal choice . So you like the other millions of vehicle owners , from varying manufacture, have service issues that need to remedied or addressed .
I have had the same problem. And I'd say that if a local dealer is telling me that they've already replaced several of the battery coolant heaters and there are several more customers that have been waiting months for the part to come in, then it is not a stretch to assume that many other service centers are seeing similar numbers. So multiply that by the number of service centers around the U.S. and presumably Canada, and thousands does not seem like a stretch at all.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have never seen a breakdown of Hybrid sales specifically for the Pacifica. I've seen 2021 Pacifica sales numbers (about 98,000 units), but not a hybrid number. I have no idea what the hybrid take rate is, so you can tell me what you think a fair assumption is, but out of thin air I'd say maybe 25 percent? So that's about 25,000 units. Now, this appears to be a problem that is occurring mostly when temperatures get cold, so that eliminates a decent chunk of units sold in warmer climates. So the total pool of vehicles here is relatively small, which means if a single dealership that probably only sold a relatively small number of PacHy's last year is telling me that they have dozens of those same units back with the same problem, its fair to think that its a pretty widespread problem. I've now heard that from two different dealerships--and Chrysler customer service has told me that that it unfortunately is a common problem that they've seeing a lot of.

The dealers are telling me that the units with this issue started showing up fairly suddenly, and initially the part was available in a few weeks, then a few months, and now has no ETA. That also speaks to it being a widespread problem.

Of course its a warranty issue, but...right now I have no PHEV whatsoever. Other people have no heat. This is not a small thing, its a systematic failure of a part, or code, or something of that nature. Keep in mind this same vehicle class---2021+ also had a widespread code problem in which the vehicle's ignition sequence got out of whack and the car wouldn't start. Most of us figured out the workaround (let it sit for a few minutes and try again), but Chrysler ended up having to literally write new code to fix it. How does something like that even happen?

These messageboards are usually either filled with angry people with problems, or people who are very defensive about their purchase and don't want to hear anything negative. There's usually not much in between. Well, I'm the guy who says its a great van, class leading, with game changing technology, but yeah, I think there are MAJOR QAQC issues. And if you think that's "normal," I strongly disagree. No vehicle is perfect, all of them have issues of some kind or other. Parts fail. But the question is how systematic is it, and how easily can it be fixed. With the 21+ PacHy there are systematic issues that aren't easily solved. It doesn't matter the reliability study or metric out there, this vehicle is at the bottom. Consumer Reports has it highlighted as one of the least reliable vehicles for sale. That's not just an accident or somebody making it up. I'm well aware of the Honda issues (and Toyota, I've owned those for 15 years too) and there simply aren't systematic, widespread design/QAQC issues like this with those vehicles. They don't hit the market with a code flaw that means the van doesn't start! Or a part that shuts the heater off. Come on.
Now, this appears to be a problem that is occurring mostly when temperatures get cold, so that eliminates a decent chunk of units sold in warmer climates. So the total pool of vehicles here is relatively small, which means if a single dealership that probably only sold a relatively small number of PacHy's last year is telling me that they have dozens of those same units back with the same problem, its fair to think that its a pretty widespread problem. I've now heard that from two different dealerships--and Chrysler customer service has told me that that it unfortunately is a common problem that they've seeing a lot of.
I'm with you. I love the concept of this van but I've had multiple issues with it from the start, most of which were initially dismissed by the service centers I went to. It wasn't until the CEL went on and the POE15 code came up that they admitted a problem. Even then they claimed the intermittent heater/defrost problems were unrelated. After replacing the battery coolant heater, I continued to have heater issues, but was told AGAIN that the heater was fine. Now with POE15 back, the same service center is telling me that I won't have heat so long as there is a battery coolant heater problem. Apparently they finally figured out there was a connection after having to replace several of the heaters. And like you, I was told by the service manager that they have dealt with several of these replacements already, and the parts are now on backorder due to demand, with numerous customers still waiting for the repair. And that's the service center where they seem to know something about these vehicles. The first two I went to did not have a clue how to work on them. One argued with me that I didn't understand how the hybrid system worked when I told him there was a problem if the battery remained at 100% on his 40 mile test drive. He claimed it was sign that the system was working perfectly, comparing it to a Prius. I literally had to send him a video of the chief engineer of the Pacifica hybrid discussing how the hybrid system works on this vehicle.

One thing though- I live in a very mild climate. Both times the CEL has gone on and coded POE15, the temps have been no lower than mid 40s. Yesterday it was about 55F when the light came on.

·
Registered
193 Posts
As a factory tech, I strongly recommend getting the normal gas version and avoiding the PHEV. If for any reason you have issues with the hybrid system, the turn around time for service on it is astronomical. If you're OK with the vehicle being down for a month or so once in awhile then go for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As a factory tech, I strongly recommend getting the normal gas version and avoiding the PHEV. If for any reason you have issues with the hybrid system, the turn around time for service on it is astronomical. If you're OK with the vehicle being down for a month or so once in awhile then go for it.
If your hybrid has the heater error: once the weather is warm will the battery function properly then?

scheduled to purchase one tomorrow, Saturday, at 9 AM 😂

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
If your hybrid has the heater error: once the weather is warm will the battery function properly then?
Yes.
It does seem that right now there is an issue that is affecting a significant portion of PacHy owners. While there have bee a host of issues since it came out, they have largely been solved although many owners have dealt with the growing pains in the process. I know my experience with the PacHy is not nearly as extensive as many others, but I have been extremely pleased with my 4 years of ownership. If my car were totalled, I would immediately order another, based on my own personal experience.

Reactions: Chisel92

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yes.

It does seem that right now there is an issue that is affecting a significant portion of PacHy owners. While there have bee a host of issues since it came out, they have largely been solved although many owners have dealt with the growing pains in the process. I know my experience with the PacHy is not nearly as extensive as many others, but I have been extremely pleased with my 4 years of ownership. If my car were totalled, I would immediately order another, based on my own personal experience.
My concern is that these 'growing pains' have been happening for 4 or 5 years now, since the original PACHY was released. Nothing seems to have been improved in that time, the PACHY's are still spending months at dealership services with additional recalls occurring that are major recalls.

They may have fixed some old issues, but new ones pop up and the overall experience is the same, waiting months+ for your new vehicle at a dealership service, often more than once.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My concern is that these 'growing pains' have been happening for 4 or 5 years now, since the original PACHY was released. Nothing seems to have been improved in that time, the PACHY's are still spending months at dealership services with additional recalls occurring that are major recalls.

They may have fixed some old issues, but new ones pop up and the overall experience is the same, waiting months+ for your new vehicle at a dealership service, often more than once.
I'd agree that the wait time on parts is absolutely insane. More often then not the vehicle is completely drivable while waiting on parts to come on, but having it on the "to do" list blows. MOPARs entire parts division is experiencing insane back orders due to the world market. I had valve cover gaskets (!!!) back ordered three weeks for a wrangler. It's bonkers. Not really Chrysler's fault though, it's a supplier issue.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

Chrysler is unquestionably cutting its PHEV teeth on the PacHy. There is precious little experience in the dealer network on these and it shows. It is very common for the inexperienced to throw parts at a problem until they get it right, but right now there just aren't parts to be had.

Mine has not been flawless, but I haven't yet experienced a show stopper. If I had, I'm sure my perception would be quite different. Since we are essentially beta testers for Chrysler, Chrysler should not be fighting with us when we find a bug. They should recognize that in these early days there is going to be a higher incidence of issues and extend the "buyer's remorse" period accordingly.

Reactions: PacDave

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello all, I currently have a pending order in for a 2022 Touring L. But, after discovering some of issues around the hybrid electric drive not transitioning to the ICE and battery heater issues, I have some concerns. Question: Knowing what you all know now about your vehicles would you buy another one/2022? Thank you, appreciate your thoughts. Phil
17k miles on 21 pinnacle hybrid..no issues love it

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello all, I currently have a pending order in for a 2022 Touring L. But, after discovering some of issues around the hybrid electric drive not transitioning to the ICE and battery heater issues, I have some concerns. Question: Knowing what you all know now about your vehicles would you buy another one/2022? Thank you, appreciate your thoughts. Phil
I started my minivan experience with a town and country after having owned many SUVs. We were having kids and a rear facing seat just would not fit in my grand Cherokee. I am now driving my 2nd Chrysler van and it is a 2018 Pacifica Limited. There are a few ghosts in the machine. I notice that the Uconnect Theater sometimes doesn't boot right if the car has a short time between stops. I also notice key sense does not always work. The drive train has been perfect. It gets up and go with no problem. I had to replace the battery and the stock tires are crap, but those are consumables. Overall I love the van.

I have ordered a 22 Pacifica Hybrid. Originally we ordered another limited with the theater package but then learned it wont have a luggage rack or DVD player. Both items we use regularly. We are upgrading to a Pinnacle. I have test drove a few hybrids and the pacifica feels like it has more power. I have faith that Chrysler has figured things out and making a better van.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Our van is going to be totaled after a 5-10mph collision where the airbags didnt go off because the hybrid system inverter somehow failed and Chrysler isnt making them available. A 2020 being totaled because the manufacturer no longer can supply a part is insane. Have had two Rams and now this van, was planning on buying another Ram in a year or two but I think I am going to give another brand a chance.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts